BRUINS GDT GAME 3 7:38 PDT ( 10:38 PM in the East ) - THE BEAR finds his way to San Jose - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1697739474765.png

1697739282161.png

1697739064710.png

1697739112240.png

Tonight's Officials

1697739940969.png
1697739974778.png

Referees Steve Kozari (40), Chris Schlenker (3)
Linespersons James Tobias (61), Caleb Apperson (77)

Ntl. Anthem Ernestine Balisi

1697739163661.png

After opening their centennial season with back-to-back home wins, the Boston Bruins headed west and will kick off a four-game road trip Thursday night against the San Jose Sharks.

The Bruins have been off since Saturday, when they beat the Nashville Predators 3-2 for a second consecutive win that came down to the final minutes.

While goaltenders Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman were sharp in their respective starts, Boston coach Jim Montgomery opted to shuffle the lines in Monday's practice to generate more even-strength offense.

The Bruins have scored just two five-on-five goals so far this season. They tallied a pair on the power play on Saturday, both by James van Riemsdyk. Meanwhile, they killed all seven of the Predators' power plays.

"I haven't seen a lot of offensive five-on-five generation," Montgomery said. "Again, small sample size, but I trust my eye behind the bench, and when I follow it up and I see it on video, I just want to try something else to get a spark."

Most notably, 19-year-old Matthew Poitras -- who logged his first NHL point in Boston's season-opening win over the Chicago Blackhawks -- has now jumped into a top-six forward role, skating on a line with captain Brad Marchand and Boston newcomer Morgan Geekie.

Poitras and Geekie had been playing together thus far. The trio with Marchand remained intact after the Bruins arrived in California and resumed practice Wednesday.

According to Marchand, the rookie is showing some impressive qualities.

"He dogs the puck," Marchand said. "He's not timid at all and goes to the hard areas. If he loses it, he has a second or third effort to get it back."

In addition to van Riemsdyk's first two goals as a Bruin, star winger David Pastrnak added his third goal in two games on an impressive penalty-shot move against the Predators.

As for the goalies, Montgomery has not committed to returning to the straight alternating pattern between the two. However, there is no doubt the strength of his team lies between the pipes.

"Especially when the schedule gets really busy, we're definitely going to be going every other (game with them)," the second-year Boston bench boss said. "They give us a great chance every night, so it will keep them fresh."

The 0-2-1 Sharks are still looking to crack the win column after the visiting Carolina Hurricanes rallied for four third-period goals to overtake them in a 6-3 decision on Tuesday.

Aside from losing a one-goal lead with 11 minutes left, San Jose coach David Quinn was displeased with his team's effort for most of the night. That was not the case in the first two games.

"I don't think we skated the way we have been," Quinn said. "We've got to be way more competitive in our battles than we were (on Tuesday). We were way too puck-conscious and soft on battles."

Fabian Zetterlund has played well on the Sharks' fourth line, scoring his first goal and adding an assist against the Hurricanes.

"I always try to work hard, and when I do that I get rewarded," Zetterlund said. "Tough loss (Tuesday), but we've just got to build and keep going."

Tomas Hertl dished two assists, while San Jose newcomer Mackenzie Blackwood made 36 saves in his second straight start.

Quinn, whose team started 0-5-0 for the first time in franchise history last season, hopes a better effort and results will follow.

"I'm sure that weighs on guys mentally," Quinn said. "Home, away, on a pond in the middle of America, I don't care where we're playing. We've just got to be harder to play against."

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The Late Night Shift hockey crew is back. As your Captain, I will be here to pump us up, and keep us awake. You know the squat thrusts will be back like last year!

No injuries. Take it to them. No passengers. Contribute. Play hard, play smart, start this road trip with a win. Let's go Potsy! Excited for the new lines. Show em what you can do kid!

And as always, you already know the drill!
giphy.gif

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Just bought a new Keurig. It's getting put to the test today for sure...

Bruins win 4-2 (hopefully more)

Marchand, Coyle, DeBrusk and Geekie

San Jose looks god awful, which is why these games usually stress me out because Boston just seems to coast. They should be winning this handedly.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
quinn called the sharks soft after their last game. at the very least, we will see a team competing hard (you'd think).
after monty's comments, this is kind of a trap game for b's. only 2 games over a week and a half, seeing a team that's
winless. we'll see.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just bought a new Keurig. It's getting put to the test today for sure...

Bruins win 4-2 (hopefully more)

Marchand, Coyle, DeBrusk and Geekie

San Jose looks god awful, which is why these games usually stress me out because Boston just seems to coast. They should be winning this handedly.
I think this is a big game for Coyle. He tends to control play for entire shifts when he's not THE guy. Back to the third line, with third line talent, hopefully he shines tonight.

• Love
Reactions: OV, Gordoff and BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Monty no longer mr nice guy. I like it.

Monty definitely seems to have a harder edge this year. Clearly the playoff lost burned him and understandably so. I'd just say he needs to be careful. Cassidy we know made some wrong steps in the wake of the 2019 disaster and especially once Chara left and I'd hate to see that repeated post-Bergeron. Not saying Monty is likely to go down a similar road, simply that he needs to make sure he finds a good balance between the carrot and the stick.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Monty definitely seems to have a harder edge this year. Clearly the playoff lost burned him and understandably so. I'd just say he needs to be careful. Cassidy we know made some wrong steps in the wake of the 2019 disaster and especially once Chara left and I'd hate to see that repeated post-Bergeron. Not saying Monty is likely to go down a similar road, simply that he needs to make sure he finds a good balance between the carrot and the stick.
Yes i think he trusted that veteran team a little to much last year. Im sure he learned something from it

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What's with all the lazy efforts of late?

Bring it boys. I know it's early, but you're not good enough to not bring it every night.

Reactions: BMC and lopey

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Monty needs to have an edge.

Many times last year he came across as more of a fan than a coach, honestly.

Agreed. I don't think there's a problem with that at all, just making the observation that he needs to strike a good balance. It's a pretty different group this year, by all means find what works best to get them motivated and performing well. If that includes a harsher line at times, well and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad