Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - 10/19 - California Dreamin' - Bruins @ San Jose Sharks - 10:30 PM - NESN, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don't hate those lines at all. The JDB - Zacha - Pastrnak line could be the Bruins #1 line for the next 3+ years if DeBrusk signs a new deal. I feel like that 2nd line could be sneaky good. Poitras and Marchand looked good together during pre-season and Geekie has solid metrics at 5v5. The 3rd line is just a big line JVR (6'3), Coyle (6'3) and Frederic (6'2).

Interesting to see Heinen still hanging around the team despite not having a contract. Curious if they are keeping him around while Poitras gets his 9 games before they make a decision on him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Is it any different than Geekie on a second line?

I think we know that Heinen can be a responsible glue guy that can work some give and goes with Poitras and Marchand but you are essentially putting all the goal scoring in Marchand. Geekie won’t get a better chance than playing opposite Marchand. Worst case he provides some board support for Poitras and we realize we still need an upgrade there. Best case he takes on a role as a shooter on that line. He is supposed to have a solid shot, but have yet to see it. He should get some looks with those two. Excited to see what happens.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What do we think about pairing Lindholm and Charlie? Trying to get my head around the why. Just to create outsized opportunity for possession?

You can't really put Gryz-Carlo out when you wanna shut anyone down, can you ?

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like the Bruins always start their season like this? Maybe I'm losing it but it seems like they end up a week between games more often than not, lol.

Yes, I have the same impression as you. At least they won't have this season as many Saturday-Sunday back-to-back games as they did last year.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is it just me or does it seem like the Bruins always start their season like this? Maybe I'm losing it but it seems like they end up a week between games more often than not, lol.
I've definitely thought this as well, although last year I feel like we had a pretty dense calendar to start the year because I remember thinking it was a refreshing change.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Remember when we played hockey for a few days...
No worry there with 4 in 6 days coming I do believe.Go Bruins.

I like the line juggling. imo this is the perfect moment to try Poitras in the top 6. I want him beside Marchand. Not sure about Geekie, I'd probably have gone Marchand-Poitras-DeBrusk but this could be interesting too.
If Poitras can play top 6, and be mentored by Marchand, we are contending.
It will be Debrusk according to Fluto article earlier today that I read.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I like the line juggling. imo this is the perfect moment to try Poitras in the top 6. I want him beside Marchand. Not sure about Geekie, I'd probably have gone Marchand-Poitras-DeBrusk but this could be interesting too.
If Poitras can play top 6, and be mentored by Marchand, we are contending.

Might as well try it against San Jose and Anaheim. I would be a bit leery against LA
as the size of their center Corp especially (Kopitar, Dubois and Byfield and D (Gavrikov, Englund) on a whole are bigger and better than SJ and Anaheim' Center Corp and D.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It was never going to take long for Monty to start mixing up the lines, and these combos are worth a look. I had thought that Poitras had better chemistry with Freddy than Geekie, but I can see the logic of Geekie and Marchand as quite complimentary wingers, while Coyle centres a heavier line that will suit his more direct, attack-the-net style.

DeBrusk and Pasta have very little history playing together, but I think that's largely because there are similarities to what they bring to the table so it's always made more sense to disperse those skill sets. Perhaps though that no longer applies. They're clearly the team's two best offensive talents now, with offseason losses and Marchy aging, so why not throw them together and see what they can do. I'm still not sold on Zacha as a center - he's a talented player but I see him more as a complimentary player than one who can really anchor a line - but it's early days and there's nothing for it at this point but to stick with him and see how it pans out.

I think generating 5v5 offense is going to be a battle all season, or at least until the trade deadline, so the coach is going to have his work cut out both to find what works best in a given situation, and to know when to persevere with a particular combo and when to try something else. Just how well the Bruins go this season is going to rest on that more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad