GDT: Game 3: 10/19 - Anaheim Ducks vs Dallas Stars, 7pm PT (Leo Carlsson’s Debut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Cronin said he thought Luneau played well. i don't think he's ready from a defensive perspective but he might be offensively. definitely expect him to get in more games and doesn't feel like he's going back anytime soon.

Which RD is gonna sit out when Drysdale returns?

The current setup is vet with a youth.

Fowler - Drysdale/Luneau
LaCombe-Gudas
Minty-Lyubushkin

Gudas and Lyubushkin have been faring well. Drysdale looked good when he's on the ice.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
with as bad as the special teams were, losing by 1 to a cup contender isn't that bad of a result

some observations:

newell brown should've been fired after last season
this team takes far too many penalties
johnston has been solid on the 4th line
playing silfverberg and jones on the PP is a crime
mintyukov is going to be a legit calder candidate
carlsson looks NHL ready (except at faceoffs)

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Gibby played that goal weird and awkwardly. An NHL goalie shouldn't look completely unprepared for the possibility a puck coming down the wing might get centered

Sometimes I wonder if Gibby remembers he has a goal stick; he never uses it to cut off cross-crease passes. Easily my biggest pet peeve of his, even more than his puck handling.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was very entertained by this game, even in a losing effort. Mintyukov and Carlsson both look like absolute studs in the making. Luneau has some work to do, but not bad for his debut. The Ducks were victimized by power play goals on two awful calls, and absolutely dominated the first period.

The power play still needs work and the team desperately needs a real NHL third line, but they'll just be one guy short when Killorn and Henrique are in the lineup.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I'm sorry but silverberg doesn't provide anything useful on the team. When kilhorn gets back. Strome and Vatrano on the third line maybe silv can get some goals. Than again. I'd rather out Jones there

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Hard to be upset with that game, good performance overall outside of the second period. Some really nice performances from the kids.

It's amazing what good coaching can do to a team.

Reactions: Deuce22 and lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
While mostly the same players, this team has a very different identity from the past years. And it has changed in very exciting direction. Add in our young Ducklings and these games are super entertaining.

First game vs Vegas we were more rusty than them. We beat a contender-ish Canes team and just took the contenders Dallas to the line but fell short.

Good times

Reactions: lwvs84 and ScarTroy

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ownership doesn't pay coaches not to coach.
Randy Carlyle and Bruce Boudreau were both fired and paid not to coach. There has been turnover in in staff from year to year. This is just objectively false.

And that means Luneau shouldn't be staying with the team, but eventually heading back down to juniors. Sitting on the bench doesn't help Luneau with NHL experience.

I think he'll stay with the team for 9 games. I also think he gets more out of being with the NHL team and NHL practices/training during that time than he would out of playing in juniors even if he's mostly scratched. So in that respect, sitting on the bench is not really a problem. I'm fine if they only play him every third or fourth game. Let him be a sponge and then send him down for the end of the juniors season. With the inevitable injuries, he'll probably play more often than that, but either way I like that he's with the ducks.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Tough final result, but thats a great game against a really good team. The 1st period this team looked like a playoff team without a doubt. Could have had a couple of goals.

Congrats to Leo!

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sorry but this isn’t the nfl where Brandon staley is getting 4 million per. Special teams coaches don’t make enough to just keep them around due to salary. Hard disagree with you. If we keep him it’s not due to salary but due to feeling he will right the ship
Call it whatever you want, I don't recall an assistant ever being fired mid-season here. I think we have replaced a head coach mid-season with another once in 20 years. The other time we fired Carlyle, the GM, with zero coaching experience, came down and finished the year out. That is not a common thing around the league.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Well I fell asleep before the third but I've watched it now.

I loved that game, even the less fun parts. The 2nd was the worst but even then we weren't bleeding scoring chances, even while we were bleeding shots. We are soooo much better so far at sticking to guys and staying inside. But we still suck at completing passes and exiting the zone. Doesn't help that we're a shallow team that's missing two top-6 players.

Also, Mintyukov! I was expecting Leo to be good and he is, but Minty is a real stunner. He does so many good things on both sides of the puck, his challenges are smart, his stick is good, he can body guys off the puck. His rushes are scary but he skates so well and has such a knack for cutting off the attacker that the risk mostly doesn't matter.

The way they're playing right now, I feel like we can win an even strength game against anyone. But we lose a special teams battle against everyone, and we're very penalty-prone. We don't have the offensive talent to make up for net-negative special teams. If our PP is going to suck we need to at least be good PKers and we aren't.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I woke up this morning still annoyed, felt we should have won this game. The kids look great, this night was about the kids and they all delivered.

I’m going to keep repeating myself. The PP needs to be addressed sooner than later. Putting Leo in front of the net where he is limited from making plays is another example of poor coaching and execution.

Anyway, Top line looked as good as it did in that preseason game, this time they got a couple of goals with everyone getting on the scoresheet.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I woke up this morning still annoyed, felt we should have won this game. The kids look great, this night was about the kids and they all delivered.

I’m going to keep repeating myself. The PP needs to be addressed sooner than later. Putting Leo in front of the net where he is limited from making plays is another example of poor coaching and execution.

Anyway, Top line looked as good as it did in that preseason game, this time they got a couple of goals with everyone getting on the scoresheet.
It feels like the top line is only playing at like 40% capacity. Z isn't best used as a puck retriever/secondary passing option. He's not a guy who's out there fighting for space. I think those three are smart enough to figure out how to make it work but I also wouldn't be opposed to having Z center his own line where he can carry and distribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad