GDT: Game 29: Sharks vs. Jets 7:30pm NBCSCA

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
15 games into the season and I thought there was going to be no way to sell any of the vets. Its trending like they could all fetch 2nds now

Yeah, it’s not a bad consolation prize.

Hilariously, we’re 7 points out of a wildcard spot. If Quinn/Grier somehow get this team to the playoffs they deserve a Nobel Prize. Maybe a Pulitzer.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean listen, if we’re winning because of young guys like Eklund and Zetterlund and potential trade bait like Duclair and especially Granlund playing well, it’s not a bad thing. Also, Quinn has managed to give this team an actual identity and they’re super fun to watch and cheer for. It’s… fun.

Poor Karlsson
We’ll trade back Granlund for EK with 50% retention.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
We’ll trade back Granlund for EK with 50% retention.

For our Cup run, yeah.

They deserve to be fired for setting the rebuild back another three years 😂

Intellectually, it’s annoying. Emotionally and as a fan, go win the Cup, Sharks, woohoo!

Honestly, the most comedic end result for this season is for the Sharks to win the cup.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
So the NHL record for rookies is 9 (amazingly not Selanne). The Sharks' team record is 8 from Couture. Amazingly 7 of his 8 were on the road.

Eklund has 4, 3 of which are at home
As impressive as it is, Eklund isn’t technically a rookie anymore

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, it’s not a bad consolation prize.

Hilariously, we’re 7 points out of a wildcard spot. If Quinn/Grier somehow get this team to the playoffs they deserve a Nobel Prize. Maybe a Pulitzer.
It's really dumb how bad the west is. There should've been a massive gap between us and 31st but we're basically in the bubble race now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The emotional fan in me thinks that them competing hard like this is a lot of fun.

The pragmatic fan in me sees them choking at sucking the same way they choked at succeeding.
At the end of the day, I’ve realized that winning feels better than losing. It’s just we’ve become so programmed to root for losses for draft position.

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
At the end of the day, I’ve realized that winning feels better than losing. It’s just we’ve becoming so programmed to root for losses for draft position.
So, as I've mentioned before, my cat passed away shortly before the Devils game. Since then, we're 4-1-1 with a few absurd comebacks in there and 28 goals scored (in six games!).

I joked with my wife a couple games ago that since Peanut loved chaos, and knew I loved the Sharks (and, even though he was a Caps fan at heart, watched probably over 1000 Sharks games with me over the years), and wore his shark collar right up to nearly the end...I don't know, maybe he's up there pulling some strings, because honestly, THAT explanation for how things have gone lately is about as logical as any other one we could come up with.

And while I've been in a really down mood lately, these six Sharks games have basically been the thing to be bringing me constant joy in life. So yeah, during that Devils game I said f*** it and decided to roll with the wins and the goals and just take things as they come and enjoy whatever fun we can get from this team.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
oh wrecklund you gonna kill our tank

Sharks are not a tanking team. Neither are they a LTIR team. It's never been their history either. They are just not a good team with a horrible start. This is what happens when a GM trades away their top picks too much.

Sharks cupboards of prospects is like a grocery store in the Soviet days.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Sharks are not a tanking team. Neither are they a LTIR team. It's never been their history either. They are just not a good team with a horrible start. This is what happens when a GM trades away their top picks too much.

Regarding the Sharks cupboards, that just isn't true unless you are saying that grocery stores in soviet days were above average to good. For years we've had a bad prospect pool but now we have an above average to good prospect pool. Smith, Musty, Muk, and Bystedt is a great top four prospects.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Regarding the Sharks cupboards, that just isn't true unless you are saying that grocery stores in soviet days were above average to good. For years we've had a bad prospect pool but now we have an above average to good prospect pool. Smith, Musty, Muk, and Bystedt is a great top four prospects.
Apparently Soviet grocery stores in the post-Stalin period were generally stocked with plenty of food (indeed, by the 1970's the typical Soviet citizen was at greater risk of diabetes than malnourishment). but variety and quality were lacking - you got a ham hock and some canned beans because that was what they had. Towards the end of the USSR, severe shortages did start to appear at times, along with bizarre inventories (like an entire store carrying nothing but apple juice) due to the underlying problems leading to the impending collapse of the regime.

In all honesty, I think that actually does describe our prospect pool pretty well.

None of this is meant to be an endorsement of the USSR in any way, of course.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
The sharks as a franchise continue to fail to do anything right. Be competitive but don’t go on winning streaks, screwing up the tank just like last year. Grier needs to start making trades lol

Reactions: Sandisfan

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

okay, i don't think this is reality but whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad