GDT: Game 29: Red Wings vs canes 7:30 pm et 12/14/23 (ESPN+, HULU)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This shit needs to stop...

1702617015561.png

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm not going full ship is sinking because as some people noted above we are rarely going to beat good teams without our top 2 centers. Larkin is the most important player on this team. We will go as far as he can take us.

With that said....

1. Powerplay Entry Plays

What is going on with our PPs? These drop passes to nowhere just eat up time and bunch every person (Wings & Opponents) at the defensive blue line. Then we still have to chip it in but instead of having people skate hard after the puck, it's an even race with our typically smaller forwards vs their bigger dmen.

Like it is so laughably bad right now that I honestly wonder if the guys are trying to get Tanguay fired. I mean I've seen quick drop passes used effectively on occasion but the Wings are slow drop passing the puck back 20 feet and half the time they play they are dropping to isn't even skating full speed yet. If you are going to drop back that slow it has to be a total reset on the PP. Most of the team needs to come back and you re-attempt the skate out.

2. Ed needs a call up. Our defense struggles to pass and transition plays. Our top end players are smaller and not great at supporting defensively along the boards, so we get trashed if we don't get pucks out of zone quickly. This is Ed's game. He is a transition dman through and through. We need these skills. Seider is the only guy that doesn't panic (a majority of the time) when the puck hits his stick in our zone, Ed would give us another guy. Is he going to make mistakes, absolutely! With that said though it is not like our defense dmen are so sound that they don't make a ton of mistakes. This is the most frustrated I've been since Goose about not calling a guy up. He is like the perfect partner for Chiarot. Holl and Petry should be benched. Maata hasn't been great this year either but I think he partners better with Ghost than Holl, Petry, or Chiarot for that matter.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah I agree, love Mo, but he's been kinda ass lately. Needs to snap out out whatever funk has nagged his decision making in the last few games.

I don't think he's been bad overall but there's times where he tries to do too much and then also some times where he makes decisions in his own end that are wildly out of character. Like a backhander up the middle when he has time and space.

I don't know if he's frustrated or what but the Wings need him to be playing smart hockey.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I think it's confidence and just still learning type of thing. The guy can look amazing carrying the puck up the ice on the rush. But also apprehensive on other plays. I dunno if that's a coach thing or not.

He can enter the zone, so seeing him do the slow tastic drop pass to a forward on the power play just bugs me. But again that part of it is probably what the coach wants, drop pass it for a chump entry.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think it's confidence and just still learning type of thing. The guy can look amazing carrying the puck up the ice on the rush. But also apprehensive on other plays. I dunno if that's a coach thing or not.

He can enter the zone, so seeing him do the slow tastic drop pass to a forward on the power play just bugs me. But again that part of it is probably what the coach wants, drop pass it for a chump entry.

The zone entry is definitely a system. *Mumbles angrily about the dumb system*

As for Seider I think a part of the issue is that his partners just seem to think he can cover them and they start to rove a bit too much. Chia did it last year and Walman seems to be doing it more this year too. We've seen a lot more odd man rushes with Seider hanging back.

The problem is that Seider is one of our smarter dmen in getting pucks on net, whereas Chia and Walman are more likely to send a slapper into shins and have the puck coming back our way. We want Seider being the dman with the puck on his pairing because he is much better at keeping possession than anyone other dman on the Wings.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
In his best performance all season, lol. He shot himself in the foot.

He actually didn't allow a soft goal. Just shit the bed by mishandling the puck.
Ya he played great minus that one play but it's always something lol

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I said before the season started that the fate of this team depends on Larkin. If he is healthy we make the playoffs if not, we don't make it.

He is our only star carrying the whole team.
I think this was accurate in the beginning of the season, but losing Larkin as of right now for a few games isn't as terrible as expected because we would have compher. Compher has stepped up in larkin's absences pretty well.

But when you lose both :-/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad