GDT: Game 29: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 12/13 7PM EST

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's ok. Their Mom's uncle's friend's gardener's mistress once passed through Pitt so they are justified in the Pittsburgh fandom.

It's like moving to the United States from Afghanistan but continuing to support Afghanistan's war efforts over the U.S.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's like moving to the United States from Afghanistan but continuing to support Afghanistan's war efforts over the U.S.

Sports doesn't work that way. If I had to move to Miami, you bet your ass I'm wearing my CBJ jersey amongst all those empty seats in the Panthers arena. CBJ in town? You'd better believe I'm rooting for them instead of the Panthers.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Disagree. Modern sports are a surrogate for war and represent battles between two different schools, cities, or states. They have taken that spot in modern culture.

Further, not supporting the home team hurts yourself in addition to that team. If you move to Florida, you SHOULD root for the Panthers. If fans of hockey who live in Miami don't support the Panthers, the team WILL move and you will be stuck living in a city without any NHL team at all.

Take pride in where you live and work. That's the American way and is central to American identity. You give up where you used to live and adopt your new home and people.

Granted this doesn't hold for all things, namely school sports. Once you are a graduate of some place, that will always be your alma mater, but cities, states, and countries are different. I am lucky to be a CBJ season ticket holder, but if I am moved to Miami you can bet I will immediately be a Panthers season ticket holder. And guess what, try to watch a team at home for 41 games and not become a major fan.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Disagree. Modern sports are a surrogate for war and represent battles between two different schools, cities, or states. They have taken that spot in modern culture.

I'm stopping after this, but we were never at "war with Afghanistan". We were "at war" with the Taliban (except when we invited the Taliban to the White House), who were located in Afghanistan. History is only revisionist if you're not keeping up and 13 years isn't that long ago.

And the indulgent rivalry with a neighboring state's big city doesn't hold a flame to the ideological divide separating US soldiers from Taliban militants.

So please stop with this excess.

Hoping mods strike these posts

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Further, not supporting the home team hurts yourself in addition to that team. If you move to Florida, you SHOULD root for the Panthers. If fans of hockey who live in Miami don't support the Panthers, the team WILL move and you will be stuck without any NHL team at all.

Take pride in where you live and work. That's the American way and is central to American identity. You give up where you used to live and adopt your new home and people.

Granted this doesn't hold for all things, namely school sports. Once you are a graduate of some place, that will always be your alma mater, but cities, states, and countries are different. I am lucky to be a CBJ season ticket holder, but if I am moved to Miami you can bet I will immediately be a Panthers season ticket holder. And guess what, try to watch a team at home for 41 games and not become a major fan.

As a 14-year New Yorker who was born, raised, and college educated (undergrad) in Columbus, you'll pull my CBJ flag from my cold, dead hands ;)

Seriously, you've gotta allow for subjectivity in your parsing of fandom. NO WAY will I EVER root for the same teams as the bozos surrounding me, who pull for the Yankees, Jets, and Rags. You're saying I should?! Take pride in where you're from, and spread your values- rather than assimilating. That's the 'merican way.

Loyalty, thy name is not Crede777

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Further, not supporting the home team hurts yourself in addition to that team. If you move to Florida, you SHOULD root for the Panthers. If fans of hockey who live in Miami don't support the Panthers, the team WILL move and you will be stuck without any NHL team at all.

You do realize that a good chunk of us on these boards are Jackets fans who've ended up in other states, don't you? Are you insisting that we stop being Jackets fans?

The problem with Pens fans in Ohio is that they're a bunch of bandwagon following mo-rons. There's a few die-hards, and there's nothing wrong with them, just like there's nothing wrong with my refusal to switch over to the Bruins.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Further, not supporting the home team hurts yourself in addition to that team. If you move to Florida, you SHOULD root for the Panthers. If fans of hockey who live in Miami don't support the Panthers, the team WILL move and you will be stuck living in a city without any NHL team at all.

The Panthers would be my SECOND favorite team unless they gave me a reason to become my first.
Oh wait, that sounds familiar.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You do realize that a good chunk of us on these boards are Jackets fans who've ended up in other states, don't you? Are you insisting that we stop being Jackets fans?

The problem with Pens fans in Ohio is that they're a bunch of bandwagon following mo-rons. There's a few die-hards, and there's nothing wrong with them, just like there's nothing wrong with my refusal to switch over to the Bruins.

Well, if you move somewhere without an NHL team you can't really change and there isn't really conflict. If I moved to Cleveland, I would probably get Eerie Monsters tickets, but would still drive down to Columbus once in a while to catch a game. I don't have a hometown team to adopt as my NHL team.

But imagine if all of the Columbus residents who are Pittsburgh, Detroit, or Chicago fans embraced the Jackets... We would be sold out every game of the season. Every game would have the capacity of what tonight had. And that is a good thing, and is something I believe is extended to every other NHL city. If people embraced their hometown teams over their past, then we would get a much truer view of NHL interest in each city and many franchises would be better off while other, popular ones, would not be impacted (Pittsburgh in this case).

If I moved to Miami, I am not a band wagoner. Sure the Jackets franchise is currently doing better than the Panthers, and the Jackets were more successful last year, it would be easy for me to stick with Columbus. But that's just it, it's the easy thing to do. And I try to be above that.

I ask what if everyone did what I did. Would it be a bad thing? Am I being selfish? If nobody dropped their old teams in favor of the new one, then no new franchises would survive. So I do not act that way, instead I recognize that sports teams are inextricably tied to their cities. To live in Cleveland means to be a fan of the Browns and Indians (unfortunately). To live in Cinci means to be a fan of the Bengals and Reds. In Columbus, we do not have NFL or MLB teams so we can kind of choose. But we do have an NHL team.

Last edited:

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
The Panthers would be my SECOND favorite team unless they gave me a reason to become my first.
Oh wait, that sounds familiar.

And This.

Having lived for years in a few places with strong local sports identities not my own it's best to root for the team you love, geography be damned. Be an ambassador of good sportsmanship, maybe you can convert a few of the locals. Also, if you are local do not be that arrogant ignorant closed minded fan blind to all things but your team. You make your team, its fans, and the geographic region seem petty, dishonorable, boorish and uncouth.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm a yinzer. Yep. That's my hometown. Considering you're a guy who portrays himself as a smart dude, this is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Columbus is a city with LOTS of transplants from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Michigan.
Oh and Somalia too, but that's a whole nuther discussion! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad