GDT: Game 29: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 12/13 7PM EST

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sorry for the derailment, I am legitimately curious about people who don't support the home team and their rationale, so if there is a good one PM me or something.

About the game, we need to get our shots and possession stats up or this trend could reverse itself. It seems that we are relying upon high shooting percentages and stellar play from Bob too much.

Johansen had a strong game but we need him to start producing again. Our 5 on 5 needs it.

From now on, Johnson should be told we are playing the Pens every night.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry for the derailment, I am legitimately curious about people who don't support the home team and their rationale, so if there is a good one PM me or something.

My opinion on this topic has admittedly evolved over time. In fact, it used to be just like yours. I was also frustrated by the people who didn't follow the nostalgic notion of "root, root, root for the home team." So I talked to a bunch of people over the past 2-3 years.

I still think legitimately contending for a Stanley Cup - while Pittsburgh and Detroit fall upon hard times - will convert a lot of holdouts who currently consider the CBJ their second favorite team.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
They're all Pirates fans:sarcasm:

Well played. That made beer come out my nose.:handclap::handclap:

Even if CBJ had lost that was a great hockey game, very fun to watch. Like heart-pounding fun to watch. I feel like the injuries are going to be too much to overcome, but as long as these guys fight hard and play as a team I'm good. Still, six points back? That's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Also: I was very happy to see Jack Johnson get a goal. Nice to see someone look genuinely happy when you know they're going through tough times.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Big win, today was about keeping pace with almost all other Metro teams winning and we got the job done.

Pens fans didn't bother me too much tonight, save for their shouting during the national anthem (the usual). Doesn't matter who you root for, respect the anthem and save your enthusiasm for the game in like one minute, just rude.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Johansen had a strong game but we need him to start producing again. Our 5 on 5 needs it.

I didn't think he was good. I suppose he deserves some cred for the nice flip feed to Jenner, but he's still a step behind the play. This isn't even close to his best, perhaps nagging injury?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They're all Pirates fans:sarcasm:

o-TOM-HANKS-CAPTAIN-PHILLIPS-facebook.jpg

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I do think Bob was out of position slightly on two of those goals tonight. Some time with the goalie coach will solve that.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Sorry Crede, but since I'm younger, I've actually grown up as a Jackets fan, they're the reason I'm even a hockey fan, and play hockey, in the first place. If I move somewhere with the team, I'm sure they'll instantly be my second favorite team, but I will never not be a Jackets fan first and foremost. They were a massive part of my childhood, so I think that's a good reason to not always unilaterally support the home team.

And knowing CBJBrassard/Wennberg is around the same age as me, I'm sure he feels the same way. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry Crede, but since I'm younger, I've actually grown up as a Jackets fan, they're the reason I'm even a hockey fan, and play hockey, in the first place. If I move somewhere with the team, I'm sure they'll instantly be my second favorite team, but I will never not be a Jackets fan first and foremost. They were a massive part of my childhood, so I think that's a good reason to not always unilaterally support the home team.

And knowing CBJBrassard/Wennberg is around the same age as me, I'm sure he feels the same way. :)

Yep. Pretty much.

Young people unite! :sarcasm:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

About the game, we need to get our shots and possession stats up or this trend could reverse itself. It seems that we are relying upon high shooting percentages and stellar play from Bob too much.

The flip side of Joey's current fade is that we find ourselves six games into a 12-game winning streak. We're doing this without Joey beasting like early in the year. Once he gets back to that form, and all our injured are back, and we play a lot of Metro teams? Cautious optimism.

For your derailment, I offer my dear grandpa, one of the most amazing gentlemen you could hope to meet, from the coal mines of east Ohio (sorry, Kris) whose brothers played high school football against a Paul Brown-coached team. My grandpa worked a union job at Lennox and raised 5 kids in a place on Lincoln avenue and managed to buy a place on Buckeye Lake. We have in those places all kinds of old fan souvenirs from Browns games past and accoutrements from the Big Red Machine days. To this day, he sits on his porch at Buckeye Lake every summer night and watches the Reds.

Sorry for all that nostalgia- but that's just what sports are. I cheer for my grandpa's teams to win, and they're my team now. I won't ever stop rooting for the team of a union worker come down from the mines so I can cheer for the team of a hedge fund billionaire who's more interested in luxury seats than the game being played. Just different cultures.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Red Wings fan here.

I came down for the game for my birthday, also just to see giving how entertaining the Playoff series was last season. And what a game, I love the fight from your group here and I'm glad the fans are really getting behind the team. The game was fantastic and that Johansen goal was a beauty. Getting to see Pittsburgh lose was an added bonus.

Anyway, good luck going foward... aside from tuesday. Im hoping the Wings can find a way to win, though it wont be easy considering how determined the Blue Jackets are.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Either that kid and his girlfriend/sister really like ordering pizza at the intermission from the same lady in front of the camera every game or FSO uses the same "live" clip at intermission every game. :laugh:

FSOH is lazy with that stuff, they show me in the Joe at intermission of every Detroit road game and it was from the playoff series. I get a text every time asking if I made the trip to Detroit..

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Guess I'll have to cheer for the Red Wings tuesday, or else I'll be untr00 :(

I grew up in Toledo, a die hard Wings fan, moved to Columbus to go to OSU in '95, used to have my mom mail video tapes of the games to me in the dorm. Wore my Yzerman jersey to Ludlow's the night they won the cup in '97 and nobody knew what I was wearing. But then we got a team and I didn't get to watch all the wings games, pre-Center Ice, and I went to 30 games or more a year and hung out with some of the players at the bars and the Jackets became my team. I still root for Detroit a little when it doesn't effect us but most of the players I grew up liking retired, Yzerman, Shanny, Probert...but I never rooted for Detroit over Columbus, even in year one.

I don't have a problem with Columbus people liking another team, it's the band wagon people I hate, and the people that are obnoxious about it in our own barn. The Chicago and Pitt fans are the absolute worst and I've almost got in many a fight with them.

LooseCannon

Mar 29, 2014
Columbus
Took a friend to this game as his first hockey game ever and it was so epic. We were the minority in a section filled with Pens fans.... It felt soooooo good to walk away with a win!

But seriously.... Who the heck yells during the national anthem???? There were at least 4 separate pens fans shouting incredibly loud (Let's go Pens!!!) while the whole stadium is either silent or singing along... This really griped me...

And it was great that every time the Pens fans started chanting the 'CBJ' came right in to drown it out! Very proud of our fans and to all fans who go to any sporting event: if you yell during the anthem you ARE a huge dooosh

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
FSOH is lazy with that stuff, they show me in the Joe at intermission of every Detroit road game and it was from the playoff series. I get a text every time asking if I made the trip to Detroit..

It's not just FSOH all of FS channels use the same stock footage over and over for all sports. I love when they show an aerial shot of a given city in the middle of the winter and all of the trees have leaves and it's nice and sunny.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Took a friend to this game as his first hockey game ever and it was so epic. We were the minority in a section filled with Pens fans.... It felt soooooo good to walk away with a win!

But seriously.... Who the heck yells during the national anthem???? There were at least 4 separate pens fans shouting incredibly loud (Let's go Pens!!!) while the whole stadium is either silent or singing along... This really griped me...

And it was great that every time the Pens fans started chanting the 'CBJ' came right in to drown it out! Very proud of our fans and to all fans who go to any sporting event: if you yell during the anthem you ARE a huge dooosh

There are always a few hoosiers in the crowd when the Pens come to town

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad