Pre-Game Talk: GAME 29 7:08 PM - Beware of the Devils - NESN, ESPN+, SNP, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2022-1-4_6-57-20.png

giphy.gif

upload_2022-1-4_7-0-22.png

upload_2022-1-4_7-0-56.png

EvilComplicatedBat-max-1mb.gif

Nico Hischier and the New Jersey Devils will look to keep their successful restart rolling when they visit Charlie McAvoy and the resurgent Boston Bruins on Tuesday night.

Hischier scored twice, including the game-winning goal 2:56 into overtime, to lift the Devils in a 4-3 win at the Washington Capitals on Sunday.

The win was New Jersey's third in a row coming out of the NHL's COVID-19 scheduled pause. Prior to the break, the Devils had lost a season-high six straight games.

"It feels good," Hischier said. "After (the) Edmonton game (Friday), we were talking about the restart -- and that's what we're doing right now. We're playing with confidence and we've just got to keep it rolling."

The Devils were 6-5 winners in overtime versus the Oilers and edged Buffalo 4-3 on the road last Wednesday in their first game back after three consecutive postponements.

On Sunday, Yegor Sharangovich opened the scoring at 7:15 of the first period and Damon Severson scored again one minute, 14 seconds later as New Jersey carried a 2-1 lead into the second.

Hischier scored his first of the night 22 seconds into the middle period before Mackenzie Blackwood (27 saves) allowed two third-period goals to force overtime.

Blackwood has started all three of the Devils' games since the restart. Despite winning all three outings, Blackwood has allowed 11 goals while posting an .876 save percentage.

Against the Bruins, Blackwood is 6-2-2 with a .936 save percentage and a 2.13 goals-against average across 10 career appearances.

Boston also has yet to lose since resuming its schedule in the wake of a COVID outbreak that led to six consecutive postponements, outscoring its two opponents 9-4 in its two victories.

On Sunday, the Bruins scored three times in the third period on the way to a 5-1 rout at the Detroit Red Wings. It was Boston's second game in as many days after Charlie Coyle scored 34 seconds into overtime to lift the Bruins over Buffalo 4-3 on Saturday.

Boston had lost two straight and four of six games total prior to its COVID pause.

In an effort to give his team a spark, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy broke up his team's so-called "Perfection Line" of Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak for a second straight game. Boston elevated Craig Smith to the first line right wing while dropping Pastrnak to the second line.

"When they are together, everyone leans on them a little bit," Cassidy said. "When you split that up, there's a little more oxygen in the room for the secondary guys."

The result paid off again against the Red Wings as five different Bruins scored in the victory.

Bergeron scored late in the first period to tie the game at 1-1. Erik Haula netted the eventual winner early in the second before McAvoy and Trent Frederic lit the lamp early in the third. Tomas Nosek scored near the midway point of the third to cap the scoring.

McAvoy finished with a goal and an assist after logging three assists against Buffalo.

"We've had a good couple of days," Cassidy said. "Right now we're gonna enjoy it and get ready for New Jersey."

Bruins rookie goalie Jeremy Swayman recorded 23 saves against Detroit. Swayman recorded 27 saves on 29 shots in his only career appearance versus New Jersey, a 5-2 Bruins victory on Nov. 13.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From the Globe:

When the Wings crashed the net, Swayman took a blocker jab at Sam Gagner, who grabbed the back of the netminder’s helmet in the scrum. For a team with a lot of newcomers, those come-together moments have been fewer than recent years.
“I didn’t like the situation,” Swayman said. “I was kind of getting held on the back of my helmet. I’m going to stand up for myself. But at the same time, if he’s going to mess with my guys, I’m going to make sure I’m going to do my part and protect my guys. I thought we did a good job of that. It felt like we were a team there for a second. It was great.”

Also, regarding Bergeron and Marchand:

The Red Wings’ power play lacked enough poise to counter the PK brilliance of those two, who spent a ton of time in Detroit’s end with the puck. Since the start of last season, no duo has a better rate of shots for and against while shorthanded. With those two on the ice at 4 on 5, the Bruins land 29 percent of shots.

I mean, that's just nuts :laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
From the Globe:

When the Wings crashed the net, Swayman took a blocker jab at Sam Gagner, who grabbed the back of the netminder’s helmet in the scrum. For a team with a lot of newcomers, those come-together moments have been fewer than recent years.
“I didn’t like the situation,” Swayman said. “I was kind of getting held on the back of my helmet. I’m going to stand up for myself. But at the same time, if he’s going to mess with my guys, I’m going to make sure I’m going to do my part and protect my guys. I thought we did a good job of that. It felt like we were a team there for a second. It was great.”

Also, regarding Bergeron and Marchand:

The Red Wings’ power play lacked enough poise to counter the PK brilliance of those two, who spent a ton of time in Detroit’s end with the puck. Since the start of last season, no duo has a better rate of shots for and against while shorthanded. With those two on the ice at 4 on 5, the Bruins land 29 percent of shots.

I mean, that's just nuts :laugh:

That last sentence by Swayman...ouch.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As much as I like the lines, still too much hinges on the 2C spot. Trying to make a run by riding the hot hand with middle 6 players, playing over their heads, is a dangerous game. Just give us a guy that belongs in that role!

Bruins win tonight 4-2 lol

Reactions: BTO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad