GDT: Game #28| Mar. 13, 2013| Flyers at Devils | 7:30 p.m. ET

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He's been really ****ing good at age 37. He's got 19 points in 26 games. You bet he'd get the same extension now...you bananas or what man?

I don't follow your post. Are you suggesting he couldn't be traded as a rental because he re-upped for another year? I don't want him traded anyway if they're going to try to win next season. And if they're not, they diminished his value by resigning him how?

I agree with dookie on this. Holmgren signed Timonen very early in a season that already had signs of going south to a deal that cap-unfriendly $6 million. Yes, I think that it definitely reduces his potential trade value.

As for his play, I am very thankful we have Timonen on the Flyers; he remains a very good defenseman at 37, but he is showing signs of overall decline.

Of course, the whole trading potential of Timonen may be moot if he told Holmgren that he would not waive his NTC. As a matter of fact, I suspect that this may have been an impetus for the resigning. But it seems pathological of Holmgren to make moves that limit his options, and that in itself is poor management.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
We've now lost four out of five. The loses have also been in embarrassing fashion to arguably our four biggest rivals in the conference. Yeah, it's that bad.

I also came up with a description for this year's team (well, any team under Lavy actually). They're like a gambler that goes in on every hand. Lavy's constant attack forces these guys to make constant quick decisions that can either be all good, or all bad. That's part of the reason why we see some horrendous turnovers. It's not a bad system to run when you have an overwhelming plethora of talent like the 2010 team had, but this team is just too you to be playing that aggressively. They need a coach that runs a system that makes it relatively easy for every player to fit into a role, especially the young guys still learning the NHL level.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
We've now lost four out of five. The loses have also been in embarrassing fashion to arguably our four biggest rivals in the conference. Yeah, it's that bad.

I also came up with a description for this year's team (well, any team under Lavy actually). They're like a gambler that goes in on every hand. Lavy's constant attack forces these guys to make constant quick decisions that can either be all good, or all bad. That's part of the reason why we see some horrendous turnovers. It's not a bad system to run when you have an overwhelming plethora of talent like the 2010 team had, but this team is just too you to be playing that aggressively. They need a coach that runs a system that makes it relatively easy for every player to fit into a role, especially the young guys still learning the NHL level.

Pretty much look at Jakes stats. Dudes points exploded from the system but the team still loses

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I was at the game last night. I am so angry and embarrassed to be a loyal fan of this team right now. Spending all kinds of money and investing my time in a team that is a joke. I am still going to watch games and cheer for the Flyers forever but there is no way that this current team is making the playoffs. A big trade or coaching change is needed NOW!!! :rant:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Pretty much look at Jakes stats. Dudes points exploded from the system but the team still loses

Not really. Jake's stats have exploded for two reasons.

One: The powerplay has been dominant since he started breaking out. Him, Giroux, Timonen, and Simmonds have gotten back to where they were at the end of last year with that unit.

Two: He plays with Giroux. The other teams are constantly looking at Giroux, so he's getting a ton of open ice to work with.

He's getting his points because he's a good player, and not because Lavy lets him skate by without playing defense. Look, I wouldn't mind if his numbers took a dip for them to be more successful under another coach, but don't discount Jake's point totals just because the team has a horrible record and a coach who's lost.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Very much agree. Lavi's system is high risk, high reward. It's hard to play and mistakes quickly turn into scoring chances going the other way. And the team simply does not now have the kind of defensemen it needs to play that way.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Devils fan here...do you guys really not have someone better than Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster in Adirondack? I always liked what I saw of Guftasson.

But man, Gervais and Foster are brutal.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Devils fan here...do you guys really not have someone better than Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster in Adirondack? I always liked what I saw of Guftasson.

But man, Gervais and Foster are brutal.

The braniacs decided to send Gus down to play Foster :help:

One of a 100 dumb decisions they have made.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
He's been really ****ing good at age 37. He's got 19 points in 26 games. You bet he'd get the same extension now...you bananas or what man?

I don't follow your post. Are you suggesting he couldn't be traded as a rental because he re-upped for another year? I don't want him traded anyway if they're going to try to win next season. And if they're not, they diminished his value by resigning him how?

Timonen has not been good.
Not in his standards and not in $6m/year-standards.
I don't care about his points, he's getting outskated and outmuscled defensively and at times has been horrible with the puck.
And yes, the way things are going right now, I would've traded Timonen at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad