Post-Game Talk: GAME #28 - Canucks 1 vs. Wild 3 Part II - "NW Division Chumps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hate how people talk about powerplay goals like they dont count. haha Tiranis talks as if Even Strength is more important. You know how many games we can win by having an extra PPG the odd time? Its not as if he's useless 5 on 5 either.

Well, I guess the Wolves GM doesn't know what he's talking about either. Good to know.

Hes got good hustle

Of all the things you could've picked that Jensen does bring, you pick hustle? That's like one of the few things he DOESN'T bring. What's next — he can bring some physicality?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hate how people talk about powerplay goals like they dont count. haha Tiranis talks as if Even Strength is more important. You know how many games we can win by having an extra PPG the odd time? Its not as if he's useless 5 on 5 either. Hes got good hustle

He hasn't played a meaningful NHL game, how can you conclude he's useful at the NHL level right now? He's a good prospect, don't get me wrong and I really like him, but he'd be stapled to the bench if he's not good 5 on 5, and I can pretty much guarantee that. He'd be nice to have on the PP, but if we can't play him throughout the course of the game, what use is having him in the NHL right now?

He needs to show more 5 on 5 before he deserves a recall.

Pseudonymous*

Well, I guess the Wolves GM doesn't know what he's talking about either. Good to know.

Of all the things you could've picked that Jensen does bring, you pick hustle? That's like one of the few things he DOESN'T bring. What's next — he can bring some physicality?

what are you talking about? lol the wolves GM is right, hes not ready just yet. nothing to do with his goals being on the PP though.

he can be ready and still get most of his points on the PP

and i wasn't saying thats a strong suit of his, i just threw it in there because i dont believe he'd be like our recent rookies who float around because theyre undersized. and hes not like grabner or shirokov. im saying hes capable of skating well and from what i've seen, he has some hustle most of the time. im comparing him to most guys who have come up here in the past.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
he can be ready and still get most of his points on the PP

Find me one player that this has been the case for. Good players are a factor at ES in the AHL. Jensen is not. Points are just a simplistic way of illustrating that to those who don't watch. He's behind the play quite often, he's not generating chances, he's missing his lanes on breakouts, etc. He's simply not adjusted and ready right now.

Pseudonymous*

He hasn't played a meaningful NHL game, how can you conclude he's useful at the NHL level right now? He's a good prospect, don't get me wrong and I really like him, but he'd be stapled to the bench if he's not good 5 on 5, and I can pretty much guarantee that. He'd be nice to have on the PP, but if we can't play him throughout the course of the game, what use is having him in the NHL right now?

He needs to show more 5 on 5 before he deserves a recall.

How can i conclude he'd be useless at the nhl level right now? He has all the tools required. Period. The only thing he needs to do is get a bit more used to the nhl sized rink and style the canucks play which hes doing in Chicago. So, wont be long.

Sometimes its easy to see the type of player who has a game that would translate better to the nhl. I have always believed Schroeder would have much more trouble. I do not believe Jensen to be this player

Schroeder is doing well for his size though. But do I think his 30 goals in the ahl could translate into the nhl, nope. He'll need to work his butt off just to be a 15 goal scorer in the nhl one day

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's played only a few games though. But he's the only guy down there with a big-league shot. And he's got size.

In a lot of respects i agree. But there is a catch.

Jensen is just fresh back from Sweden where they play on the big ice. Putting the guy on the small is with AHL players is one thing. Throwing him into the fire with NHL players who are out there to hurt...not a safe thing. I hope Jensen adjusts quickly so we can see him up with the Canucks sooner rather than later. But i don't want to risk his future by bringing him up while he's still in 'big ice mode' and gets his brains scrambled by some ******** 4th liner for Minnesota or whoever who is out to make a name for himself.

People underestimate the fact that Jensen's internal clock in terms of time and space is going to be way off from what you'd see in the NHL...and how dangerous that could potentially be for a skilled offensive player like him.

The other thing is is confidence...do you really want to call him up to play with a group of centers who are barely AHL capable in Ebbett/Schroeder/Lapierre? I mean...talk about ways to destroy confidence.

Exactly why he's not ready to play on the Canucks, or deserve a callup yet, he hasn't played enough games. I'm just saying, Jensen needs to show more ES with the Wolves before he's getting recalled. When the Wolves management is saying themselves he's not ready for a recall, he's not ready for a recall.

The whole ES thing is complete **** as far as i'm concerned. It's the above that makes it a prudent move to not call up Jensen at the moment. It's the future.

I'm extremely high on Jensen...but i don't think he's ready to be the difference maker on an NHL roster yet. And to put him in a place where he's physically in danger, and his confidence is likely to be rattled by our absolutely embarrassing NHL center depth...is just a stupid idea.

tbh the Wolves GM Young probably doesn't know wtf he's talking about. Just look at the team being iced there right now, and honestly...idgaf what he says about the NHL potential of players we have there at this point.

He's out to win an AHL banner. And that's great, but he's ****ing over our prospects in the process, and i really don't care at all what he has to say about Jensen. If the guy had a legitimate eye for NHL talent, he'd be more than an AHL GM at this point. He flat out sucks.

Pseudonymous*

Find me one player that this has been the case for. Good players are a factor at ES in the AHL. Jensen is not.

Are you really going to reach here in order to be right about something :laugh:

hes not ineffective at ES, he just isn't sparkling and hes very close (as in this year). we're not talking about a player who simply isn't capable.

Did i say ALLLLLL of his points would be on the PP? lol the guy hasn't even played in the ahl for long enough, its a small sample size. He could easily be more of a PP contributor and adapt up here instead of down there, theres no need to adapt up here, so i dont care if he stays down a little longer, my point is, his goals being on the PP doesn't mean anything. There are alot of guys who depend on the PP to rack up alot of their points. Hell in the first 20 games, kadri had a whopping 5 goals in 22 games at ES in the AHL. I believe Jensen might have close to that come the 22 game mark.

You actually gave me a list in order to prove how good Schroeder was and how all these other stars were basically getting all their points on the PP.

Are you really going to stat scout and tell me jensen couldn't come up here and produce because he hasn't yet with the scrubs down in Chicago at ES? Watching him play , its obvious he has the tools and size and smarts in order to be in the NHL. So hes just got to fine tune a couple things and he could join the canucks. if you think theyre worrying about his actual goal total at ES. You care far too much about stats. Because i can bet theyre watching him play and decisions he makes, etc - whether thats translating into goals or chances, doesn't matter. some people do better at the NHL level than they do in the AHL.

Theres a reason why Hodgson was brought up so quickly without producing like a mad man like they make other people do before getting called up. Their raw skills are evident

Not sure why you even argue because we both agree he should stick down there a bit before getting a call up.

Edit -- Cody Hodgson for example. Just because its off the top of my head, he started the year. Had 19 points in 19 games, a point per game this year. You thought that wasn't too impressive compared to Schroeder. Schroeder was doing extremely well at ES. Hodgson is now a point per game in the NHL and most of his points in the AHL were on the PP, on top of them being assists.

Point is, in a small sample size. A player can start the year with most of his points/goals on the PP and that in NO WAY , say that he is not NHL ready. Many other things say he isn't quite ready. My point is, its not his goal totals at ES vs PP.

If you do believe ES play is all that matters. Guess Hodgson wouldnt' have been called up on your team this year..

Last edited by a moderator:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
it's called denial. eventually u'll get to acceptance and be much happier. just like i've accepted to not expect to see the canucks win the stanley cup in my lifetime.

Never say that! I know there's pessimism and all, but how can you stand being a Canucks fan if you don't believe? I'd rather get my hopes up and live with the possibility of them being crushed a thousand times than to never have hoped at all. :(

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Where was that guy who said we can easily win the division title a few games back against Minnesota??

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Still unhappy with the PP and the physicality - we're incredibly soft right now.

This is the toughest team we've iced in ages. Sestito, Pinizotto, Weise and Lapierre are all physical, with three of them willing to drop the gloves consistently. And Kassian is waiting in the wings. This group has been throwing devastating hits. A lack of physicality is the least of this teams worries.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is the toughest team we've iced in ages. Sestito, Pinizotto, Weise and Lapierre are all physical, with three of them willing to drop the gloves consistently. And Kassian is waiting in the wings. This group has been throwing devastating hits. A lack of physicality is the least of this teams worries.

Just because you can name a few tough 4th liners doesn't mean the team is physical or has played physically.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Just because you can name a few tough 4th liners doesn't mean the team is physical or has played physically.

Booth and kassian were also throwing hard checks. Canuck forwards have thrown a lot of vicious checks this season. A lack of physicality is nowhere near the top of the list of problems right now.

Dado

Good players are a factor at ES in the AHL.

Crosby has zero career ES goals in the AHL.

There isn't a bipolar distribution - good NHLers span the full spectrum from zero ES goals in the AHL to "lots" of ES goals in the AHL, hitting all points along the continuum.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just finished watching the game on delay...i actually though the game was going to end well after the powerplay goal, but then it was the same old story starting in the third period

coaching staff clearly instructed all players (esp garrison) to shoot from anywhere, which is why the combined shots/blocks/missed of the canucks more than doubled the wild...but most shots involved little traffic in front of the net and i can't remember backstrom having to make alot of tough saves

alot of other things were just frustrating to watch, from ebbett dragging down the '2nd line' like an anchor, to casual kev almost scoring in his own net and taking a dumb penalty, to luongo starting after letting in 9 goals in the past 2 games, to the general lack of effort and attention to detail in the third period...agreed with most posters that most of this should be blamed on a coaching staff that is out of ideas that has been unable to evolve the canucks style of play

the more i think about that game the more it ticks me off, especially while i sit here watching these chicago highlights as they get their 24th win of the season skating circles around the avalanche while our coaching staff is patting our players on the back for actually being able to gain the freaking blueline on a power play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad