Post-Game Talk: Game 28 - 8 in a row - BRUINS 2 Whalercanes 0 F

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Hello Gardiner my old friend

Fishing for penalty there, no coverage, we score...few seasons too many in the Toronto area eh.

One period was enough, again.

Heinen and Coyle, that works.

D was there, Halak.

Carolina can be a pain in the ass to play against, skate and cycle in the o zone.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree. With all this recent success I hope they don't lose sight of the fact that secondary scoring is still something of a struggle and a bit limited, they haven't yet found the best middle 6 combo, and there's still a piece missing there.

I don't think Sweeney and Cassidy will, but I guess we'll see what they have up their sleeves.
I’m sure they have plans to grab someone to add some secondary scoring, but not all additions will turn out as promising as Mojo and Coyle’s fairly instant chemistry.

Would like to see more of it from the guys we have already like Debrusk mainly, but also Heinen, Kuraly and others.

Hope DS has another deadline win this year, we will see.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Good teams find ways to pull off wins when they're not at their best. This is becoming a habit for them lol.

With such a large cushion in the division, at what point does Cassidy look at load management for his guys? Especially the vets like Krejci, Chara, Marchand, and Bergy (whenever he gets back). Perhaps a game off here and there. I can't help but think back to the last 2 seasons that followed a Stanley Cup appearance. Wasn't it 2011-12 when they went on that run in Nov/Dec where they were unbeatable? Then they got upset by the Caps in the first round. 2013-14, they finish 1st overall and have their season ended by the team who shall remain unnamed, after being up 3-2 and losing the last two in, what I remember to be, a very uninspired fashion. Perhaps come Feb and March we see some "upper/lower body injuries" or a bit of a "flu bug" circulate its way around the room.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Fishing for penalty there, no coverage, we score...few seasons too many in the Toronto area eh.

D was there, Halak.

Carolina can be a pain in the ass to play against, skate and cycle in the o zone.

carolina will prob beat wsh again this year if tbey face off again in playoffs.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't it 2011-12 when they went on that run in Nov/Dec where they were unbeatable? Then they got upset by the Caps in the first round. 2013-14, they finish 1st overall and have their season ended by the team who shall remain unnamed, after being up 3-2 and losing the last two in, what I remember to be, a very uninspired fashion. Perhaps come Feb and March we see some "upper/lower body injuries" or a bit of a "flu bug" circulate its way around the room.

21-3-1 in november and december that year.

even better in 2008-09: 23-2-1

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

D was there, Halak.

I read this to the tune of Sounds of Silence and I must say.... I was disappointed. :laugh:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Persistence was the watchword again in this one. Stuck with a plucky, competitive, pretty determined, tight-checking Carolina team and played a defensively sound, hard-fought game until they finally found a way through, aided by a healthy dose of more goalie awesomeness from Halak.

The Bruins have to be a nightmare to play against at the moment. Fast, hard-working, able to stick in games even when they're not quite clicking on offense, built on a really solid, organized D in which every pair skates hard and is difficult to beat, and even when you do you still have to get by an excellent goalie, regardless of which one is in net. And then at the other end you have to contend with 4 lines which all seek to work you over and give little respite, one of the hottest scoring forwards in the NHL right now, and plenty of other ways to hurt you even if you can contain him and his annoying little line-mate.

Sure they're not the biggest or hardest-hitting team, and don't carry the greatest sheer scoring threat, but they've got enough physicality to at least hold their own and use the body when required against all but the heaviest opponents, and they pack enough offensive punch that they're never far away should you give them a sniff.

The sum of it is I don't think teams are scared the play the Bruins, they just know they're really up against it in breaking them down and that they're going to have to go hard for the full 60 mins if they want a positive result. That must make teams wary, and then increasingly frustrated when they put in so much effort for little reward, only to then concede in their own net, often twice over in pretty quick succession.

Lovely place to be for the Bs and us fans.

The difference in the game was goaltending.
Switch goalies and Boston absolutely takes
a 2-3 goal loss.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The difference in the game was goaltending.
Switch goalies and Boston absolutely takes
a 2-3 goal loss.

I completely disagree. Both Halak and Reimer were excellent. The 2 goals Boston eventually got past the 'Canes netminder were borderline unstoppable. At the other end Halak faced his fair share of shots and his positioning was very good as usual, but I thought only 1 came close to being an absolute robbery. Reimer would have done at least almost as well on the night in Jaro's place.

The Bruins found a way to score thanks to a lazy play by Gardiner and a great net-front tip. 1 mistake and 1 clever pass and that was enough. Carolina fought a decent game but just couldn't find their own way to getting the puck in the net. That was the difference for me.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
No love for Heinen ? I saw Marchy was covered, but Heinen sends a pass his way anyway. First I thought it was a horrible pass, way behind him.
Then I realized it was what he intended, and it as a perfect pass. Awesome vision, creativeness, and execution. Great play indeed.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
You would have to think so. Coyle's a local boy so he's probably a bit biased, but one of the things he really stressed when he was interviewed after he re-signed was just how impressed he was very quickly when he first came in with the team's culture, inclusiveness, work ethic and tightness as a group, and how much he wanted to keep being part of that. And you hear other players says similar things quite often.

I think this group really has something special going on, and everyone who buys it into it, which seems to be just about everybody, wants to stay and keep working towards making it even better and achieving more success. And they'll take a slightly reduced wage from their ultimate top value to make that happen.
Outstanding team chemistry is underrated and does make me feel a little better about a few trades where we "lost" on the surface if part of the reason for those trades was chemistry in the room.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I agree- The President's Trophy is absolutely meaningless. I want the Stanley Cup :stanley:
It's a dilemma for sure. You want to win every game as a player. In doing so you might just get that trophy. I hope near the end of the year we are smart and rest some older guys like Chara Bergy Marchy.

Reactions: BMC

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Myth. The President's Trophy winner is the odds on favorite to win the Cup. When compared to the 15 other playoff teams, the PT winner wins more often than any other team. Not by much, which is why the myth exists, but they do win more often.
The biggest thing in the playoffs IMO is match ups. How well does a team match up to yours. Washington for us is a terrible match up. We need to get a big winger or 2 to beat them in a 7 game series.

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The biggest thing in the playoffs IMO is match ups. How well does a team match up to yours. Washington for us is a terrible match up. We need to get a big winger or 2 to beat them in a 7 game series.

Yup. Hockey isn't basketball, the parity is real, and style of play counts as much as talent when talking about match ups. And yes, Washington is terrible for us, as we are for teams like the Leafs and Canes.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
My thoughts on things. I’m more happy the bruins haven’t played well and keep winning. That’s always the sign of a great team. The goaltending is strong with Tuukka/Halak who I know is the best backup in the NHL. The first line is somewhat unstoppable, they are doing it without Bergeron,

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Just a thought what do you think of instead of trading this glut of D-man the bruins have when Moore and Miller come back. What about rotating them around , giving Chara a night or two off, resting Carlo a game and so on. Just keeping everybody fresh. Also helps us out if someone gets injured. Just a thought. I’m not in a rush of moving anybody. It’s still only December. Just an idea that’s all.

Reactions: BTO

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Myth. The President's Trophy winner is the odds on favorite to win the Cup. When compared to the 15 other playoff teams, the PT winner wins more often than any other team. Not by much, which is why the myth exists, but they do win more often.

Since the 1985-86 season, when the President's Trophy was established, only 8 teams of 33 that won the Trophy went on to win the Stanley Cup. How do the PT winners "win more often"?

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Since the 1985-86 season, when the President's Trophy was established, only 8 teams of 33 that won the Trophy went on to win the Stanley Cup. How do the PT winners "win more often"?
24% that's better odds then the last place team winning the draft lottery

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Yup. Hockey isn't basketball, the parity is real, and style of play counts as much as talent when talking about match ups. And yes, Washington is terrible for us, as we are for teams like the Leafs and Canes.

This is one of the reasons why I remain so unhappy about losing the Cup. We had an opening that in all likelihood we will never get again- our two worst match ups (Washington & Tampa Bay) were taken out in the first round.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Just a thought what do you think of instead of trading this glut of D-man the bruins have when Moore and Miller come back. What about rotating them around , giving Chara a night or two off, resting Carlo a game and so on. Just keeping everybody fresh. Also helps us out if someone gets injured. Just a thought. I’m not in a rush of moving anybody. It’s still only December. Just an idea that’s all.

I think this is a good idea, the team might as well utilize all of them until the opportunity arises to trade one or more for a 2RW. I think the biggest problem would be getting Chara to sign on- this is a guy who insisted on playing with a broken jaw ffs. The younger D would just do as they are told.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
That one with he and Z is awesome

He is such a big part of the Bruins. They wouldn't have had the success the last couple of seasons without him. We're so lucky. He could be a starter anywhere else. But he just another of the long line of "team players" on the Bruins. Man I love this team.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad