BRUINS GDT GAME 28 7:38 PM - THE BEAR is running at Belmont Park - NESN, ESPN+, SN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1702605549584.png

1702605840115.png

1702605869703.png

The New York Islanders will look to extend one streak and end another on Friday when they host the Boston Bruins in Elmont, N.Y.

The Islanders will attempt to extend their season-high winning streak to five games with a victory on Friday. That result would also prevent a sixth consecutive loss to the Bruins.

Amid a 9-1-4 stretch, New York also has earned at least one point in seven straight games (6-0-1) following a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday.

The Islanders squandered a 2-0 lead in the second period only to forge a 3-3 tie on Mathew Barzal's power-play goal at 7:46 of the third period. New York scored the eventual game-winning goal after Simon Holmstrom scored with 1:33 remaining in regulation.

"We're just learning from our mistakes, and just having a good character room, where we weren't going to let it get to us," said Barzal, who has 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in his last seven games.

Though the Islanders continue to play well, they've been outscored 24-11 in non-shootout goals during their current 0-4-1 skid against Boston. Holmstrom recorded a short-handed goal and Barzal had an assist during New York's 5-2 loss at Boston on Nov. 9. Meanwhile, the Bruins' Charlie Coyle scored three goals and set up another in that contest.

Coyle, though, has just one goal with an assist in his last seven games for Boston, which fell to 1-1-1 in its recent stretch following Wednesday's 2-1 overtime loss at New Jersey. The Bruins also could be without center Pavel Zacha for a second consecutive game and star defenseman Charlie McAvoy for a third straight contest due to upper-body injuries.

Despite the injuries, Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said he was pleased with players stepping up when their number is called.

"I love the way we compete," Montgomery said. "I love the way the guys who got extra minutes (on Wednesday) competed.

"It gets you excited about what our team can continue to grow."

Of course, Montgomery has what's arguably the NHL's best goaltending tandem to lean on.

Boston's Jeremy Swayman, who made 33 saves on Wednesday, has a 1.44 goals-against average with a .952 save percentage during his current 2-1-1 starting stretch. Meanwhile, teammate Linus Ullmark has allowed three goals in each of his last three starts but stopped 27 of 29 shots against the Islanders last month.

New York's Ilya Sorokin made 30 saves at Boston this season and has a 3.18 goals-against average even though he has gone 3-0-1 this month. Teammate Semyon Varlamov, who made 21 saves on Wednesday, has yielded at least three goals in each of his last seven outings.

Boston star David Pastrnak has been held without a point in three of the last four games. However, he has two goals with six assists in his last five games versus New York.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If having 1st last year lead to the debacle, then why do you want it again? Glutton for punishment?
@Aussie Bruin I can say this now Bergie and DK were toast in early April last year and that is the major reason they walked away.

Keeping A1 this year is critical as let Toronto and Florida fight it out in Round 1. Detroit appears to be A4 but can they beat out M5 to get in :dunno:

The matrix was flawed last year as Florida was a very dangerous and finally healthy 8th seed.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
@Aussie Bruin I can say this now Bergie and DK were toast in early April last year and that is the major reason they walked away.

Keeping A1 this year is critical as let Toronto and Florida fight it out in Round 1. Detroit appears to be A4 but can they beat out M5 to get in :dunno:

The matrix was flawed last year as Florida was a very dangerous and finally healthy 8th seed.
And matt T turning into messier mode and carried team to finals. One of the best performances in playoffs history in my books.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And matt T turning into messier mode and carried team to finals. One of the best performances in playoffs history in my books.

He screamed at his teammates before Game 5 - ' Take a look at this room at TD Garden because we are coming back for Game 7 ' - The Bruins thought they had broken their spirit winning Games 3 and 4 in Sunrise but................

I think this year the collision course is Rangers/Bruins in the ECF.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

If the season ended right now the Bruins would play Carolina. Give the Canes good health and at least half-decent goaltending and they are as capable of beating Boston as anybody. Of course it probably won't be them, but the point is whoever it is there are very few 'easy' series in the modern NHL. Maybe it's the Red Wings who will go on a playoff tear this year. Maybe it's the Caps. Nobody knows. As such the seeding really doesn't bother me, and home ice in recent years has turned out to hold very little advantage.

I genuinely don't care where the Bruins finish as long as they qualify and they put a better effort into preparing the team for postseason hockey than they did last season. Get the prep, the tactics and the shape of the roster and the lines as right as possible and let the rest take care of itself.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He screamed at his teammates before Game 5 - ' Take a look at this room at TD Garden because we are coming back for Game 7 ' - The Bruins thought they had broken their spirit winning Games 3 and 4 in Sunrise but................

I think this year the collision course is Rangers/Bruins in the ECF.
I got the canes doing damage. They have been knocking on the door for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad