GDT: Game #28 - 12.09.14 - vs Winnipeg - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
I think this season is more on Nill than it is on Ruff and co. If you look at top 6 you have 3 capable players {Val being injured}, Hemsky is looking to be absolutely abysmal signing and the rest of the forwards group is meh.

Defense is a level on it's own. Goaltending is brutal.

Now, maybe better coaching could get better results and get a better performance/effort from players, but this team isn't build on the same level as top teams in the NHL obviously - yet.

I don't know, just nothing went the right way for this team this season {except Seguin - jesus he is something else}.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
PrincessTroll_zpsdbc9f9c7.jpg

Derfel*

Jets fan in peace - good game overall, no real cheap shots of consequence etc and no significant injuries. Just wanted to say that Seguin is a beast, and once Benn gets his mojo back you have a lot to build around there. Agree with the poster on the last page that you need to keep your youth and build around them. You'll see results.

Good stuff. Look forward to the next match-up! Have a good one!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
These Winnipeg fans just clownin'

I love you guys so much :laugh:

Aww, that's sweet! Not sure what's wrong with your team this year, but you guys probably have a lot of happy years of hockeyfandom ahead of you. Seguin and Benn are beasts. Not sure Hemsky and Spezza were moves you wanted to make this season, but I think you're really close to being contenders - on paper anyway.

MetalGodAOD*

So that game was probably our deathkeel. Now 10 points out from a playoff spot if you consider WPG the team to beat for the last WC spot.

Can't lose a 4 point game when you're 8 points behind. The tank is on.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
It's just depressing frustrating watching this team give so few ****s.

Get rid of the guys who are massively overpaid and contribute so little, get rid of the guys who actively hurt the team (Garbutt & Goligoski), get rid of the coaches who have obviously lost their ability to coach (Valley at least), and bring in players who want to contribute to a winning philosophy.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Using a very simple criteria (Dallas out shot attempts the opposition while they are on the ice at even strength) gives you the following "team":

F1 Tyler Seguin - 53.20%
F2 Jamie Benn - 51.62%
F3 Jason Spezza - 52.75%
F4 Cody Eakin - 50.87%
F5 Antoine Roussel - 52.66%
F6 Ales Hemsky - 50.91%
F7 Colton Sceviour - 55.08%
F8 Patrick Eaves - 55.56%

You can arguably add Garbutt and Fiddler to this list as they play a high percentage of defensive zone starts against tough competition

D1 John Klingberg - 50.14%
D2 Alex Goligoski - 51.37%
D3 Jason Demers - 51.44%
D4 Jordie Benn - 51.59%
D5 Jyrki Jokipakka - 52.97%

So yeah, take that as a template going forward for players to build around - the guys that are somewhat successful at outplaying the opposition while they are on the ice. That's not to say I'm completely 100% against trading any of these players if the price is right - or very happy with the way some of them have been playing - but there are arguably more pressing concerns to address. If nothing else, the stats suggest that if you get more of these players (and less of the names left off the list) the team will start playing more time in the opposition end, which will not be so terrible to watch.

The numbers suggest McKenzie and Oleksiak need more seasoning in the minors. As for the players not mentioned in this list:

Travis Moen - 37.74%
Shawn Horcoff - 45.09%
Trevor Daley - 45.72%
Erik Cole - 47.07%
Goaltenders - N/A

all of these people need to be massively upgraded in the offseason by any means necessary for us to have a chance at a competitive team next year. I don't much care how Nill gets it done. Any upgrades to the players listed in my template list above (the guys I don't think need to be moved right away) would be a bonus.

**Thought I would just add in the fenwick percentages for reference, so people can see I'm not being arbitrary. Fenwick is simply a ratio of Shot Attempts Forward divided by all shot attempts taken in the game (by both teams).

To get it out of the way, no this does not mean that Patrick Eaves and Colton Sceviour are the two best players in the team, having over 50% just means the players has been passable in the possession game in the role that has been allocated to them. Nichushkin is another guy that has been a good possession player in the past, so there is a frame to work with here. I do think with the right moves to cement around this frame, this team could rise from the ashes of this nightmare season like a phoenix in 2015-16.

Last edited:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Kari was terrible. I seriously just considered what else Arizona might give us if we swap goalies. Don't want the extra year on Smith but I don't know that I can continue watching Lehtonen let in softie after softie.

Love a lot of what Garbutt brings to the ice, see the 2 on 1 he generated with Roussel but otherwise he is such a beating. If Dallas can talk Pittsburgh into giving up one of their prospect defenders Dallas should pull the trigger.

Cole's not producing but man it sure would be nice for him to parlay his energy and drive into a nice pick or prospect.

Can someone give me one good reason why either Daley or Goligoski should be back next year? Other than having bad trade value I cannot picture a scenario where Dallas is actually better off with both of them here.

Oh look Connauton with game winning goal for Columbus and Jordie with a penalty to give Winnipeg the lead. Veteranocity at it's finest.

Jamie Benn has not been Jamie Benn and I have all the sads.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Sceviour might be a solution on the top line.

McKenzie looks like a good 3rd liner to maybe replace Garbutt if they move him but I don't see top six in his future.

I still hope Eakin is trade bait for a good defender.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Ruff needs to go. You guys have way too much talent to lose to a Jets team that was without Bogosian, Enstrom, and Kane. No structure and that's largely on the coach.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
This team looks like the Sabres post-Ehrhoff and Leino signings, who like the Stars, were also expected to do better things after that off-season. Funny how Ruff finds himself in a similar situation here in Dallas.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
This team looks like the Sabres post-Ehrhoff and Leino signings, who like the Stars, were also expected to do better things after that off-season. Funny how Ruff finds himself in a similar situation here in Dallas.

This is an apt comparison.

We're literally post success Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad