GDT: Game 27: Sharks @ Red Wings 4:00pm NBCSCA

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Bailey is this year's Eyssimont, just you know, bigger and more tan. Love Bailey's game lately!

What a game!!

Perhaps the key to Sharks' success is HFBoards Sharks praying for tank... If we never get what we want then, shhhh, no one want them to win the cup. :sarcasm:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This isn’t going to last long. They’ll likely end the season how it started. Teams will start taking them seriously and sharks players will cool off. I guess Timon doesn’t fit in, in Jersey
The thing about cooling off is this team has had a constant rotation of guys getting hot and then cooling off but someone else is right there to get hot. When Hoffman and Blackwood were hot we were getting nothing from Hertl or Granlund etc.

Quinn’s done a decent job creating enough forward depth where there is always going to be someone to pick up the slack.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The thing about cooling off is this team has had a constant rotation of guys getting hot and then cooling off but someone else is right there to get hot. When Hoffman and Blackwood were hot we were getting nothing from Hertl or Granlund etc.

Quinn’s done a decent job creating enough forward depth where there is always going to be someone to pick up the slack.

Quinn has honestly done an amazing job turning the team around. Even if it doesn’t last, to go from those first games to this is a testament to his ability to rally his guys and keep them going. It’s really impressive.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
This isn’t going to last long. They’ll likely end the season how it started. Teams will start taking them seriously and sharks players will cool off. I guess Timon doesn’t fit in, in Jersey
This, we are still pretty suck, the recent hot streak notwithstanding.

That said I think Barbie is an underrated key cog to this team since he has been here. He and Hertl work together very well.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not sure it was either of them that deserves it. The guys are finally finding chemistry. Considering how many new faces there are it's not that surprising that they were awful right away and finding their game after 10+ games.
Weird. So Quinn and Grier deserved the blame when we were awful but now that we’re playing semi-competently it’s all the players?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Weird. So Quinn and Grier deserved the blame when we were awful but now that we’re playing semi-competently it’s all the players?
Quinn wasn't responsible for the chaotic retooling of the roster. He also didn't seem to have an answer when they were awful. In my book that means he's not part of the problem, or the solution. Grier put this roster together and largely did nothing to fix it. That means he is the problem and not part of the solution. The one part of the equation that changed is the players game, on-the-ice. That is why they are no longer a problem, and definitely the solution.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Quinn wasn't responsible for the chaotic retooling of the roster. He also didn't seem to have an answer when they were awful. In my book that means he's not part of the problem, or the solution. Grier put this roster together and largely did nothing to fix it. That means he is the problem and not part of the solution. The one part of the equation that changed is the players game, on-the-ice. That is why they are no longer a problem, and definitely the solution.
This makes no sense, but whatever.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Grier put this roster together and largely did nothing to fix it.
The Addison trade was a pretty substantial move that addressed a major need early in the season, he added our best offensive defenseman for an AHL body and a 5th, that was a proactive move that has paid immediate dividends

I maintain that Grier is doing a very good job, not only has he done a great job of tearing down the roster but he has made smart bets on reclamation projects and asset plays without leveraging the future (Duclair, Zadina, Blackwood, Addison), I'm encouraged by his work

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The Addison trade was a pretty substantial move that addressed a major need early in the season, he added our best offensive defenseman for an AHL body and a 5th, that was a proactive move that has paid immediate dividends

I maintain that Grier is doing a very good job, not only has he done a great job of tearing down the roster but he has made smart bets on reclamation projects and asset plays without leveraging the future (Duclair, Zadina, Blackwood, Addison), I'm encouraged by his work

Completely agree.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Quinn consistently passes my "does he put the right guys on the ice at the right time" test for NHL coaches. 10 years later I'm still haunted by McLellan putting the Adam Burish line out on the ice in the final 5 minutes of Game 7 against LA when we were trailing 2-1 IIRC.

Reactions: DG93 and coooldude

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Quinn consistently passes my "does he put the right guys on the ice at the right time" test for NHL coaches. 10 years later I'm still haunted by McLellan putting the Adam Burish line out on the ice in the final 5 minutes of Game 7 against LA when we were trailing 2-1 IIRC.
A little sus on the 3 on 3 OT's, but doesn't really matter. Most of the time I agree. I will also say, after some early griping, he's scratching seemingly the right players and his lines are working better and make more sense lately. Might help that Kunin has been out...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
A little sus on the 3 on 3 OT's, but doesn't really matter. Most of the time I agree. I will also say, after some early griping, he's scratching seemingly the right players and his lines are working better and make more sense lately. Might help that Kunin has been out...
Kunin wasn't even bad when he was playing. The team just has a boatload of 3rd liners and they're all buying into the "don't underestimate us" philsophy.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
God, why would you make me remember that??

I’d be in favor of keeping Duclair around. Not only is he a solid player and a good leader, but he’s who I wanted the Sharks to draft in 2013 instead of *checks notes* Gabryl Boudreau.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So Grier finding the players that were part of the problem makes it so that he is part of the problem. But those same said players that are now part of the solution makes it so Grier is not part of the solution also? Make that make sense for me. Either he put this roster that is now good together and he knows what he is doing (just took some time), or these players just randomly walked into a Sharks locker room put on the equipment and Jersey and Grier had nothing to do with it. Which is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad