GDT: [Game #26] Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights – 3:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Well, on the bright side, Colorado is also kinda bad and seeing regression throughout their lineup, especially on D. So, they don't look to be running away with the division anytime soon.

Also, the regular season doesn't mean a damn thing about how teams will look against each other in the playoffs, so no need to fret overly much about that. Last season, the Stars were 3-0 vs Vegas (1 regulation and 2 OT wins), and we see how well that worked out...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Maybe it's the 3 games in 4 nights and travel but dayum Vegas just sat back and waiting for a counterpunch opportunity.
The DMN mentioned this, adding that even an afternoon game robbed them of another 4 hours of rest. Meanwhile, Vegas hasn't played since Monday, they are the champs, and it was their Dad's trip for extra motivation. I know it shouldn't be an excuse, but it kind of is the kind of stacking the deck of schedule factors that do occur. Nill mentioned that they fight these kinds of schedule quirks (the league is already formulating next years schedule) as best they can, but other teams do, too. I think Dallas gets more of them because they also have a difficult travel schedule compared to most teams......all in the east and most in the west.

I am glad I didn't have those tickets and that I just turned the TV off the moment after I turned it on because it was already 3-1.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
And on the other hand Dallas has chosen to construct a decidedly old team, seeing that as a sort of market inefficiency. So when the schedule excuse gets trotted out it all rings a bit hollow considering the geographical location of the city ain't changing.

Reactions: LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And on the other hand Dallas has chosen to construct a decidedly old team, seeing that as a sort of market inefficiency. So when the schedule excuse gets trotted out it all rings a bit hollow considering the geographical location of the city ain't changing.
That is not a totally unrealistic thing to do when you think you are in the prime of your Cup window. On the forward side, Nill has accumulated enough talent and depth to roll 4 lines and limit minutes. It is harder on the D side with only 3 pairs to split the minutes. I think they missed a chance when Liam B went back to Europe to rotate him into some "easier" games and gain playing time over the year. I suppose they may bring in another D from Austin from time to time if the cap allows. Other than that, some kind of trade should be made, but.........are you willing to give up Stank or Borque, because that is what it will take.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think the disingenuous thing is that they want young fresh legs to play this atrocious schedule but most young D aren't Miro Heiskanen.

Reactions: LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Other than Suter at 39 in a month, our D isn't that old. The next are 33, 32, 29, 23, 23, 22. That isn't a terrible mix of vets and yutes. Although, while the average age is decent, I believe most cup winning teams have most of their players in their primes, as opposed to some over and some before.

I believe Miro is in his prime, with Harley a bit more advanced than his age. Esa at 29 is good, and since many D men do well up to their mid thirties, I could see giving Jani the benefit of the doubt. Hanley and Suter should be press box material, as Hanley is. Nils needs to get better as the year goes on or we do have D troubles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad