Post-Game Talk: GAME 26 - BRUINS 5 Arizona 3

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
In fairness they did a lot of winning against the bad teams (like they should have). My concern is that the D isn’t as much of a strength as we think.

Bergeron was a big big big part of the team D, especially against top players. They are just a much much much worse team between the blue lines than last year wether it is Bergeron’s ability to create turnovers and control possession or Krejci and Hall’s ability to get the puck from the D zone to the O zone.

I mean the team is in the bottom third when it comes to possession metrics. The goalies have bailed them out and that’s going to have to be part of the strategy until they can get some more guys with talent that can control the puck.
pretty good numbers for goals against and PK

Reactions: wintersej

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
In fairness they did a lot of winning against the bad teams (like they should have). My concern is that the D isn’t as much of a strength as we think.

Bergeron was a big big big part of the team D, especially against top players. They are just a much much much worse team between the blue lines than last year wether it is Bergeron’s ability to create turnovers and control possession or Krejci and Hall’s ability to get the puck from the D zone to the O zone.

I mean the team is in the bottom third when it comes to possession metrics. The goalies have bailed them out and that’s going to have to be part of the strategy until they can get some more guys with talent that can control the puck.
To me, it looks like the major detriment to the possession numbers are due to their 2nd to last giveaway/takeaway ratio. Similarly, most of the high PDO will get wiped out once Coyle, Fred and Zacha have their shooting percentages dip down by 5%.

Unless I'm reading cross eyed, the goaltending isn't that far off from expected numbers.

Good post, though. And I really should have looked to see whether the prime giveaway offenders were defensemen or forwards.

Reactions: wintersej

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Like who and in what way?
What I meant was he's admittedly a forward learning to play defense. Perhaps you see it differently, but to me his goal is to add defensive stability to his game without taking away his natural instincts to jump up in the play. They still need his offensive creativity, even if it costs a defensive blip every now and then. He's not a Carlo and never will be, so don't try to turn him into one.
I realize it doesn't matter what I think, but I believe that's exactly how they will handle him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What I meant was he's admittedly a forward learning to play defense. Perhaps you see it differently, but to me his goal is to add defensive stability to his game without taking away his natural instincts to jump up in the play. They still need his offensive creativity, even if it costs a defensive blip every now and then. He's not a Carlo and never will be, so don't try to turn him into one.
I realize it doesn't matter what I think, but I believe that's exactly how they will handle him.

He has offensive skills so I don't see the coaching staff trying to supress something positive that the team actually is short of. The more he plays the better he should get at balancing the offensive & defensive aspects of the game.

Belichick?

Reactions: mjhfb and hrdpuk

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It's kind of wild when you pull Charlie and Forbort out of those pairings how iffy they become, lol. Defensively, I mean.

Charlie can't come back soon enough. Hope Zacha is quick too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad