How confident are you in Lehner's play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
:pickle::pickle::pickle:

I'm surprised they found a way to come back and win in regulation (ie no penalties given or taken). They should just play 5v5 forever.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I thought it was going to be a frustrating game for us, not for them.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Nice comeback win.

I respect Lehner for everything he has done when it comes to mental illness, but i would look into trading him.

I just have no confidence in him being ablee to goalie this team to a cup.

Maybe we can try to get rid of Lehner to fit in Eichels cap.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Nice comeback win.

I respect Lehner for everything he has done when it comes to mental illness, but i would look into trading him.

I just have no confidence in him being ablee to goalie this team to a cup.

Maybe we can try to get rid of Lehner to fit in Eichels cap.
See my thread in the VGK forum entitled "Tell me about Robin Lehner".

However, truth is that Lehner's numbers have been pretty good, but what the numbers don't reflect is that he blows either hot or cold with not a lot in the middle. Tonight, he was cold and fortunately DeBoer spotted that early and pulled him. Next game, he might allow no goals .... or seven. If there is good news, it is that DeBoer is watching him closely and he'll get the hook on a bad night, unlike some coaches who will simply let a goalie fail the entire game.

The real problem is that we just don't have enough cap space to bring in a top goalie like Carey Price ($10M per year), especially since we're going to have to shed one or two bodies just to fit in Eichel.

We could also try to trade Lehner, but not sure who is going to pick up his contract, and frankly it is doubtful that we would get anybody better (but would be somebody who has no chemistry with the team coming in mid-season).

So we're probably stuck with Lehner through the end of this season, barring something really extraordinary, i.e., they trade a now-healthy Eichel and Lehner for a top goalie and some other juicy assets. I doubt that will happen, and Eichel seems happy as a clam to be with the VGK, but if you sit back and think about it in the bigger scheme of things, it starts to make some sense.

My guess is that the offseason may see the Big Swede off to yet another team but, again, we could do worse.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

However, truth is that Lehner's numbers have been pretty good, but what the numbers don't reflect is that he blows either hot or cold with not a lot in the middle. Tonight, he was cold and fortunately DeBoer spotted that early and pulled him. Next game, he might allow no goals .... or seven. If there is good news, it is that DeBoer is watching him closely and he'll get the hook on a bad night, unlike some coaches who will simply let a goalie fail the entire game.

The real problem is that we just don't have enough cap space to bring in a top goalie like Carey Price ($10M per year), especially since we're going to have to shed one or two bodies just to fit in Eichel.

We could also try to trade Lehner, but not sure who is going to pick up his contract, and frankly it is doubtful that we would get anybody better (but would be somebody who has no chemistry with the team coming in mid-season).

So we're probably stuck with Lehner through the end of this season, barring something really extraordinary, i.e., they trade a now-healthy Eichel and Lehner for a top goalie and some other juicy assets. I doubt that will happen, and Eichel seems happy as a clam to be with the VGK, but if you sit back and think about it in the bigger scheme of things, it starts to make some sense.

My guess is that the offseason may see the Big Swede off to yet another team but, again, we could do worse.

I still think we should see what we have in Logan Thompson

Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

What team is going to pay 5X3 for him?

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I still think we should see what we have in Logan Thompson
I can only presume that he's just not ready since the organization has had utterly no problem bringing up players from the Silver Knights, some of whom of course played amazingly well on the M*A*S*H units that we played October and early November with.
I think Broissoit is serviceable, and a nice change-up, although he seems to give up one easy goal every start, but only one. But, yeah, Logan may get a shot if Lehner goes into an extended funk.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If anyone thinks that was a bad game from Lehner they have no clue what they're talking about. The Seguin goal was soft. The 1st was a seeing eye shot through a triple screen and the 3rd was a deflection from right in front of the net. The Lehner pull was to get the Knights skaters to take their heads out of their asses. The special teams were ATROCIOUS.

Edit: After getting home and watching the replay, that wasn't even a rebound on the Seguin goal. It hit one of the Knights D and just happened to fall right in front of Seguin. So Lehner had no chance on any of the 3 goals.

Last edited:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
If anyone thinks that was a bad game from Lehner they have no clue what they're talking about. The Seguin goal was soft. The 1st was a seeing eye shot through a triple screen and the 3rd was a deflection from right in front of the net. The Lehner pull was to get the Knights skaters to take their heads out of their asses. The special teams were ATROCIOUS.

Edit: After getting home and watching the replay, that wasn't even a rebound on the Seguin goal. It hit one of the Knights D and just happened to fall right in front of Seguin. So Lehner had no chance on any of the 3 goals.

All 3 goals were deflected/tipped in. Lehner hasn't been as good as I expected but the defense has been bad for the most part and like last night he has had a lot of bad luck with pucks hitting defenseman in the leg or skate and going in. I also have no problem if Brossoit starts more than 1 in 5 games moving forward until Lehner's play improves a little or Brossoit's gets worse.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
All 3 goals were deflected/tipped in. Lehner hasn't been as good as I expected but the defense has been bad for the most part and like last night he has had a lot of bad luck with pucks hitting defenseman in the leg or skate and going in. I also have no problem if Brossoit starts more than 1 in 5 games moving forward until Lehner's play improves a little or Brossoit's gets worse.
I think they should give Brossoit a chance to be #1 and see what we have. For a guy who admits he isn't the most agile, Lehner gives up a lot of goals like the first one yesterday.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm sorry guys. I thought that Lehner poll at the top would be fun and harmless but I didn't mean to stoke the fires, fan the flames. I love Lehner, he's like a big cuddly bear in net.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'm sorry guys. I thought that Lehner poll at the top would be fun and harmless but I didn't mean to stoke the fires, fan the flames. I love Lehner, he's like a big cuddly bear in net.

People take it seriously because this (at least allegedly) a major Cup contenda and goaltending is the biggest question mark (not counting the putrid power play).

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
People take it seriously because this (at least allegedly) a major Cup contenda and goaltending is the biggest question mark (not counting the putrid power play).

I could come up with a lot better questions than goaltending. Power Play is certainly up there along with can these guys avoid a round where they can't score? If Lehner has a bad game or gives up a weak goal that certainly can stick in the mind but ultimately those aren't always the cause of playoff exits

Reactions: The Duck Knight

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I could come up with a lot better questions than goaltending. Power Play is certainly up there along with can these guys avoid a round where they can't score? If Lehner has a bad game or gives up a weak goal that certainly can stick in the mind but ultimately those aren't always the cause of playoff exits

QFE

Antti Niemi was a starter on a Cup team. Matt Murray won 2 Cups and can't stop a beachball. Martin Jones and MICHAEL LEIGHTON started for teams in the SCF!

It's delusional to think that this team's biggest problem is Robin Lehner.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
QFE

Antti Niemi was a starter on a Cup team. Matt Murray won 2 Cups and can't stop a beachball. Martin Jones and MICHAEL LEIGHTON started for teams in the SCF!

It's delusional to think that this team's biggest problem is Robin Lehner.

Yeah, this very short list of active goalies who have won at least one game in the Finals is pretty eye opening. Vasi and a bunch of guys teams probably don't want as their #1 right now. Binnington hanging on there, but not exactly having a confidence building season so far. So should we say 31 teams are worried if they can win a Cup with their goaltending?

Active NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time ”Stanley Cup Finals” Wins Leaders

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
My issue with Lehner is I'm not sure he's the right style for the way the team plays. He's a good positional goalie, but I suspect that an athletic goalie is better suited. I like the guy, I think he's a good goalie. I'm just not sure that he's the goalie thats going to win us a cup. But as I also think Debeor is a good coach but I don't think he's a cup winning coach... That said if either or both can prove me wrong* it would be much appreciated.

*Proving me wrong is only permitted while they are part of the VGK

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
My issue with Lehner is I'm not sure he's the right style for the way the team plays. He's a good positional goalie, but I suspect that an athletic goalie is better suited. I like the guy, I think he's a good goalie. I'm just not sure that he's the goalie thats going to win us a cup. But as I also think Debeor is a good coach but I don't think he's a cup winning coach... That said if either or both can prove me wrong* it would be much appreciated.

*Proving me wrong is only permitted while they are part of the VGK

I don't know, the Lehner from 2018-2020 seems perfectly suited if the team can keep shots under 30 per game and he swallows up most of the rebounds.

Plus when a team gets so used to a goalie making 2-3 unreal saves in a row it's so deflating when they start going in. The less they expect from their goaltending, the better. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad