GDT: Game #25 | St. Louis Blues vs Anaheim Ducks | Berglund is Back Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The central division is nuts. I hadn't been paying that close of attention. I knew Winnipeg had been doing well, but man, the Jets and Predators are both just 2 points behind us right now... and that's crazy because the Blues haven't really stopped being hot.

Weren't the Blues like 7 points in the lead like 2 weeks ago?
That Turris trade looks like it has benefited Nashville. We will definitely have to add another top 6 guy at the TDL if we want to stay competitive with them in the postseason.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That Turris trade looks like it has benefited Nashville. We will definitely have to add another top 6 guy at the TDL if we want to stay competitive with them in the postseason.
Not that I disagree on the Blues needing to add, but why is it a foregone conclusion the Jets and Preds can also maintain their pace?

I hope the Blues and Ducks tonight look like a wounded zebra and a lion tonight. Ruthless beating needs to happen, don't take this team lightly based on their roster

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Not that I disagree on the Blues needing to add, but why is it a foregone conclusion the Jets and Preds can also maintain their pace?

I hope the Blues and Ducks tonight look like a wounded zebra and a lion tonight. Ruthless beating needs to happen, don't take this team lightly based on their roster

I'm not necessarily convinced that the Jets will, but the question in Nashville has always been their forwards. Their D, much like ours in the last few years, has been the foundation of their team. Nashville has a solid spread on their front end now that can chip in when the D isn't pitching shutouts. We can't say that. Berglund's return helps, but we are still only one injury away from being a two line team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not necessarily convinced that the Jets will, but the question in Nashville has always been their forwards. Their D, much like ours in the last few years, has been the foundation of their team. Nashville has a solid spread on their front end now that can chip in when the D isn't pitching shutouts. We can't say that. Berglund's return helps, but we are still only one injury away from being a two line team.
Given who they lost over the summer, I view them as in the same boat they were in last year. I dont know too many teams that can absorb key injuries and be fine. I can see Blues and Preds playing musical chairs

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One small edit for the Ducks lineup: Montour has a hyper-extended elbow so I'd expect Beauchemin to be in for him.
Please go easy on us, thank you.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My expectations are based on what our current 3rd line has produced. They have been a non factor offensively in nearly every single game this year. I feel Bergie on that line is a massive improvement. I don't expect nor will ever expect top 6 like production from that line but at the end of the year if they can contribute 30-40 5v5 goals between the 3 of them I will be tickled pink.

So far, Jaskin/Berglund/Blais/Paajarvi/Sundqvist currently have 5 even strength goals this year. 25-35 more 5v5 goals over the remaining 58 games is basically 2nd line production from here on out. To finish with 30-40 5v5 goals, they would need to score at a .43 to .6 goal per game pace (as a line, not individually). That pace would yield 35-50 goals over a full 82 games, which is about 2nd line production.

Our 4th-6th highest goal scorers last year had 41 even strength goals between the 3 of them.

I think this is where the disagreement lies. Everyone thinks that Bergie is a huge improvement to the 3rd line. I'd be stunned if our 3rd line doesn't improve offensively over what we see now. However, expecting it to suddenly produce on par with a 2nd line is a very lofty expectation. Our 3rd line is currently on pace for 17 goals. It was significantly lower than before Jaskin popped 2 goals in 3 games. I'm not sold that Bergie is going to double the production of that line. I'd love to see it, because we have a great chance at the Cup if our 3rd line suddenly produces like a 2nd line.

In order to get to 40, Berglund and Jaskin would both have to match their career highs in 5v5 goals and the 3rd piece (Blais/Sundq/Paajarvi) would need to chip in 11. Jaskin has a good shot at getting to 10 5v5 goals, but I'd be surprised if Bergie can match last year's output in 24 fewer games. 11 5v5 goals is a lot to ask from a Blais in 60 games as a rookie and I don't see Sundqvist or Paajarvi doing it.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I'm not sure how much to expect from Berglund right now. It took him a half season to fully recover after the last shoulder surgery. It could very well take that long again. If we get half of the output he had last year for the remainder of this year, it will be a huge upgrade.

Part of it really depends on which side was his dominant side. I've had the same surgery ( as Berglund ), on both of my shoulders, and my dominant shoulder rehabbed nearly twice as quickly as the non-dominant side. 7mo VS 4mo.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So far, Jaskin/Berglund/Blais/Paajarvi/Sundqvist currently have 5 even strength goals this year. 25-35 more 5v5 goals over the remaining 58 games is basically 2nd line production from here on out. To finish with 30-40 5v5 goals, they would need to score at a .43 to .6 goal per game pace (as a line, not individually). That pace would yield 35-50 goals over a full 82 games, which is about 2nd line production.

Our 4th-6th highest goal scorers last year had 41 even strength goals between the 3 of them.

I think this is where the disagreement lies. Everyone thinks that Bergie is a huge improvement to the 3rd line. I'd be stunned if our 3rd line doesn't improve offensively over what we see now. However, expecting it to suddenly produce on par with a 2nd line is a very lofty expectation. Our 3rd line is currently on pace for 17 goals. It was significantly lower than before Jaskin popped 2 goals in 3 games. I'm not sold that Bergie is going to double the production of that line. I'd love to see it, because we have a great chance at the Cup if our 3rd line suddenly produces like a 2nd line.

In order to get to 40, Berglund and Jaskin would both have to match their career highs in 5v5 goals and the 3rd piece (Blais/Sundq/Paajarvi) would need to chip in 11. Jaskin has a good shot at getting to 10 5v5 goals, but I'd be surprised if Bergie can match last year's output in 24 fewer games. 11 5v5 goals is a lot to ask from a Blais in 60 games as a rookie and I don't see Sundqvist or Paajarvi doing it.

Thank you for the math. I was going to, but was too lazy. Basically, he said his expectations were not top 6 level production then quantified with top 6 level numbers.

Berglund scored 20+ goals last year, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard for the rest of the line to pitch in 10. However, only 15 were at 5v5. Also he was healthy, played some in the top 6 (150+ minutes with each of Steen, Schwartz, Fabbri), played 82 games, went on a crazy hot streak, and had much better linemates on the 3rd line than we have now (Perron was his most common linemate). All that good stuff going for him last year that he doesn't have this year, and he still only was on ice for 32 5v5 goals. Expecting that same level of production or better when he missed 1/4+ of the season, is coming back from injury, and will be paired with Jaskin/Blais/Sundqvist/Paajarvi is beyond optimistic.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
One small edit for the Ducks lineup: Montour has a hyper-extended elbow so I'd expect Beauchemin to be in for him.
Please go easy on us, thank you.
Nothing personal but.....no can do.

0792ca3b6aca53ac345d053c3f3a58be699ba2e7_hq.gif

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Happy to see Berglund back in the lineup.

Also looking forward to the Kariya tribute before the game, I remember being so excited when I heard that the Blues signed him as a free agent even though he was reaching the tail end of his career. From watching the Game Day Live, it sounds like Kariya is still close with Steen which was nice to hear. Steen and Berglund are the only Blues that are still on the team since Kariya's last season with us (Pietrangelo had a 9 game stint though).

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Happy to see Berglund back in the lineup.

Also looking forward to the Kariya tribute before the game, I remember being so excited when I heard that the Blues signed him as a free agent even though he was reaching the tail end of his career. From watching the Game Day Live, it sounds like Kariya is still close with Steen which was nice to hear. Steen and Berglund are the only Blues that are still on the team since Kariya's last season with us (Pietrangelo had a 9 game stint though).

I can't wait till Berglund is the longest tenured player in Blues history and 21 hangs from the rafters :sarcasm:

But seriously, it's a little crazy thinking about how long Bergy has been with the Blues. Good to have the big guy back. Hope he can bring some more goalscoring to our 3rd line and create some chemistry w/ Jaskin and Blais. LGB!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Thank you for the math. I was going to, but was too lazy. Basically, he said his expectations were not top 6 level production then quantified with top 6 level numbers.

Berglund scored 20+ goals last year, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard for the rest of the line to pitch in 10. However, only 15 were at 5v5. Also he was healthy, played some in the top 6 (150+ minutes with each of Steen, Schwartz, Fabbri), played 82 games, went on a crazy hot streak, and had much better linemates on the 3rd line than we have now (Perron was his most common linemate). All that good stuff going for him last year that he doesn't have this year, and he still only was on ice for 32 5v5 goals. Expecting that same level of production or better when he missed 1/4+ of the season, is coming back from injury, and will be paired with Jaskin/Blais/Sundqvist/Paajarvi is beyond optimistic.

Your numbers are better than mine. I had him at 19, but that was even strength, not 5v5.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They have Holzer dressed as a forward? That's when you know shit is hitting the fan.

Other teams have a similar quantity of injuries as the Ducks, but I don't think anyone can match the quality of their injured players. Absolutely devastated and all up front. Defense still looks great and Gibson is a stud so they can still win some games.

Didn't Cogliano play center in Edmonton and Anaheim? Why wouldn't they put him in the middle when their center depth has taken such a massive hit? Weird.

Anyway, this is a team that we should be able to shut down, but might be difficult to score against with that defense, goaltending, and all these young/AHL guys busting their ass trying to make an impression. I don't know the severity of their injuries, but if they can tread water until they get some guys back they'll still do some damage.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

Maybe my hopes are too high, I can admit that. Even if they finish with 17, I'm not going to dog them or want them to be banished to Siberia. But at the same time if 3rd line can only contribute 17-20 goals at 5v5 in a season. The blues are in no way contenders (which is fine with me, I still see this year as a set-up year).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So glad Bergie is finally back in the lineup! About a couple months ago I was planning to make a trip to St Louis to see this game in person since I don't work on Wednesdays, but I ended up not being able to go since I'm broke and couldn't save enough money for it. Would have been a hell of a fun game to go to I'm sure.

Also this immortal gif :D

zSIvBBv_-_Imgur.0.gif

Its so funny and Panger.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Who's good under the radar player to watch out for?

For the Blues? We are really, really front led this season. We don't have too many UTR players. I'd say Dunn is a fun rookie to watch out for. He has played well in a limited role. He has definite top 4 potential. If you don't know him, google "Dunn AHL fight". You're welcome. Edmundson is having a quietly excellent season. He is rounding into a top 4 D and providing unexpected offense. Other than that, its Schwartz-Tarasenko-Schenn and Pietrangelo and Parayko on the back. Not UTR guys at all.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
For the Blues? We are really, really front led this season. We don't have too many UTR players. I'd say Dunn is a fun rookie to watch out for. He has played well in a limited role. He has definite top 4 potential. If you don't know him, google "Dunn AHL fight". You're welcome. Edmundson is having a quietly excellent season. He is rounding into a top 4 D and providing unexpected offense. Other than that, its Schwartz-Tarasenko-Schenn and Pietrangelo and Parayko on the back. Not UTR guys at all.
Paragon looked pretty underwhelming against philly? What's his level of play at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad