GDT: Game #25: Flyers @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How bad was Kesselring? Minus 3 and 6 TOI. Our first line? Keller -3, Schmaltz -2 and Cooley -4. Have no idea why AT puts Cooley on that first line. Give the kid a chance, he's not ready for 1st. line duty. Keller and Schmaltz lead the team in minus. Every forward has a + in the +/- stat, except that first line.
Great observations:) A better C on D like Hayton might improve the +/- stat. First line gets the toughest assignments.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would need to watch the game to know, but thats just me:)
I just missed last nights game. In case you hadn't noticed, that 1st. line has been almost invisible 5v5 most of the year, and has the worst +/- on the team. I thought you would have caught that since all you talk about is D. Oh, I forgot, they get the tougher assignments.;)

Great observations:) A better C on D like Hayton might improve the +/- stat. First line gets the toughest assignments.
I thought you said you watch the games. That first line has been crap ALL year 5v5 with Hayton. Stop with these tougher assignments crap. That first line was just the opposite last year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I just missed last nights game. In case you hadn't noticed, that 1st. line has been almost invisible 5v5 most of the year, and has the worst +/- on the team. I thought you would have caught that since all you talk about is D. Oh, I forgot, they get the tougher assignments.;)

I thought you said you watch the games. That first line has been crap ALL year 5v5 with Hayton. Stop with these tougher assignments crap. That first line was just the opposite last year.
I think I read somewhere in an early posy by somebody, can't remember who, that the 5 on 5 play of Schmaltz/Keller/whoever has not been good this year, somebody pointed that out:)

Assignments matter a lot. Once Hayton is back, talk to me then about the first line play on D, I think it improves a lot, it was better earlier in the year with Hayton on that line. Schmaltz is an above average forward on D, Keller is average, Hayton is close to elite, Cooley is poor, he gets a pass because he is a rookie.

You didn't even watch the game but you can magically tell how bad a player was based on a team state +/-. The poorest player on D last night was Dumba, I don't need to look at a stat to know that, I saw it. Keller/Schmaltz were not bad on D last night.

We just won 5 straight, team D and goal tending were the key, we got a taste of our own medicine last night.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What I saw last night was a terrific game plan by Torts. He had his team check very tightly, and double and triple cover the puck carrier, leaving off the puck players uncovered. It worked.
I agree, he is a good coach, has had success everywhere he goes, for a while anyway. That was a very well coached and disciplined team. We didn't play bad, Ingram was off a little and they were very good.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What I saw last night was a terrific game plan by Torts. He had his team check very tightly, and double and triple cover the puck carrier, leaving off the puck players uncovered. It worked.

That's what I saw as well.

People need to knock it off with the idiotic +/- stat for a single game. The first goal was a shot off the faceoff that surprised Ingram, and went in off his shoulder. Was that the first line's fault. The shorty in the second period was completely the result of Dumba not being able to take an easy angle on a skater. Aldo the first line's fault? Maybe putting Kerfoot in there instead of Cooley is a good point, but don't back it up with an irrelevant statistic.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Torts should be a sure-fire HOFer whenever he becomes eligible and he showed why last night. That Flyers team should be anywhere near sniffing the playoffs this year and they're playing on a different level from previous years.

Is there anyone who would be for/against trying Bjugstad between Keller and Schmaltz?

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Torts should be a sure-fire HOFer whenever he becomes eligible and he showed why last night. That Flyers team should be anywhere near sniffing the playoffs this year and they're playing on a different level from previous years.

Is there anyone who would be for/against trying Bjugstad between Keller and Schmaltz?
I'd certainly give it a try to see if they can get there 5on5 rolling

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I think Bjugstad would help them but breaking up Maccelli Bjugstad Crouse seems like a mistake.
Yes and no. They've been solid 5-on-5 this season but if this team wants to contend late into the season they need Keller/Schmaltz to get going and at least play respectful on the defensive end.

Just quickly looking at Money Pucks date:
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Crouse is the 3rd best by xGoal% on the Coyotes but 132nd in the whole NHL.

Also, Cooley might be a problem. Once we get some guys back healthy, might be worth it to try him on the wing for a couple weeks. Look at how Byfield has developed. Struggled at center but starting to find himself on the wing. I don't think it will kill Cooley's development to play some games on the wing with a more defensive center.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think I read somewhere in an early posy by somebody, can't remember who, that the 5 on 5 play of Schmaltz/Keller/whoever has not been good this year, somebody pointed that out:)

Assignments matter a lot. Once Hayton is back, talk to me then about the first line play on D, I think it improves a lot, it was better earlier in the year with Hayton on that line. Schmaltz is an above average forward on D, Keller is average, Hayton is close to elite, Cooley is poor, he gets a pass because he is a rookie.

You didn't even watch the game but you can magically tell how bad a player was based on a team state +/-. The poorest player on D last night was Dumba, I don't need to look at a stat to know that, I saw it. Keller/Schmaltz were not bad on D last night.

We just won 5 straight, team D and goal tending were the key, we got a taste of our own medicine last night.
I have said it all year, that first line 5v5 has been crap all year. Keller has been getting over half his points on the PP, Schmaltz is at 50%, and Hayton who cares, he's not getting pts. period. I'm not talking about one game, rather the whole season. That same line was totally opposite last year, when Hayton's play at least resembled a NHL player. We better find a way to get that line going 5v5 because when that PP cools off we could be in deep shit.

That's what I saw as well.

People need to knock it off with the idiotic +/- stat for a single game. The first goal was a shot off the faceoff that surprised Ingram, and went in off his shoulder. Was that the first line's fault. The shorty in the second period was completely the result of Dumba not being able to take an easy angle on a skater. Aldo the first line's fault? Maybe putting Kerfoot in there instead of Cooley is a good point, but don't back it up with an irrelevant statistic.
Not sure if you are talking about me or not, but I'm talking about the entire year. I just mentioned the +/- because I didn't see the game and the stat stood out.

Tort's is a great coach.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Probably good to face a team that forechecks that hard. They struggled to get clean breakouts and transition to great entries, though nothing like in previous years of no offense.

Think the high skill guys are trying too hard to make high skill plays which a tight defense can shut down due to layers. Think they could learn a thing from Carcone who just goes to the net, but still has a good shot.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I know I'm being sensational about this loss, but burn it down. Team sux and we should all abandon ship. Boston's going to throttle us 12-0. How dare we go 5-1, it's preposterous.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I know I'm being sensational about this loss, but burn it down. Team sux and we should all abandon ship. Boston's going to throttle us 12-0. How dare we go 5-1, it's preposterous.
Boston haven't been so hot lately

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Posted this on the Sabre game thread, as there was some discussion there. Take it for what it's worth.

Boyd 16GP +3
Hayton 16 GP -2
Schmaltz 28 GP -11
Cooley 28GP -12
Keller 28GP -14

Reactions: cobra427

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
People need to knock it off with the idiotic +/- stat for a single game. The first goal was a shot off the faceoff that surprised Ingram, and went in off his shoulder. Was that the first line's fault.
Well, they did lose the face off, something that has a far lessor chance of occurring when a certain currently injured player is suited up. In fact, we can look at how the F/O % has been since this player has been out and see a pretty clear picture.

Reactions: PuckLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad