Post-Game Talk: Game #24: Canucks 6, Jackets 2 - 6 goals? That's enough goals for 6 games!

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
The Blackhawks are good at moving the puck East/West around the net. Lack may be a better fit against this type of offense.

Gillis will probably still be looking to move Lou at some point - shelter him a bit so his numbers look more impressive.

Luongo's career numbers vs the Blackhawks are .930 sv% and 2.18 GAA. Despite the playoff blowouts, in general Luongo has done quite well against the Hawks as of late.

Last year his numbers against them were .964 and a .92 GAA, and the year before a .948 sv% and a 1.96 GAA.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Where we're you expecting to put that rebound? He was facing the shooter on the left wing, he has to make the save there with his pad and tries to put the rebound to the side rather than kick it directly up the middle or back to the left wing. It would have been almost impossible for him to put the puck in the corner from the angle it was shot at him from. Garrison needs to have his man there.

The weirder thing was that after the rebound he made literally no effort to stop it, even though he had time to at least do the desperation thing. Granted, it was a 5-1 game with 2 minutes left, but it's odd to just see him give up on the play like that regardless. Sometimes it almost seems like he's playing with a groin injury given his lack of willingness/ability to move across the net. I agree wtih Bleach Clean --- he looked very shaky and was lucky to not have given up 4 goals on 16 shots.

As for Chicago, I don't have much doubt that Luongo will start again tonight, but I feel like we haven't seen enough of Lack to get a real gauge and Chicago would be a nice test.

As for Kassian, wasn't the whole knock on Hodgson that he couldn't play defense? I am aware of the off-ice stuff, but that still looks like a very poor trade right now.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I was at the game, Luongo did not look shaky at all, outside of the 1st goal he looked calm and sound. We're now 12 - 0 - 3 when we score more than 1 goal.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I was at the game, Luongo did not look shaky at all, outside of the 1st goal he looked calm and sound. We're now 12 - 0 - 3 when we score more than 1 goal.

Yeah I thought Luongo was good. I did seem him shakey at all either. Kassian had a pretty good game. Sedins as well. Hopefully we play a good game tonight.

Oh yeah and Welsh 1st NHL goal and Stanton 3A.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If Luongo is still looking to be moved, another team is willing to take him without making the Canucks retain salary, I don't now how Gillis turns that down.

Lack has a very strong track record as a pro and has stepped in thus far seamlessly into the best league in the World. If Lack continues to play at a high level, Luongo's departure and the rising cap would open up a ton of flexibility for Gillis to improve the skaters. Something that will have to happen if this team is to contend IMO - regardless of who is in net.

a whopping 4 game sample size.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Ok, if that's the case, can you explain to me what he was doing on the two occasions where he was prone on the ice before the skater had made his move? The shooter shot wide on both occasions, but I would like to know why he was prone there?

The first goal against was a comedy of errors by a few players, but Lu didn't help by remaining stationary on the player bearing down on him.

Also, your stat ignores situations where Luongo gives up the 1st and 2nd goal before the Canucks score a goal. If the team is already down multiple goals, it really doesn't matter that they score 1. They would have to score 4 or 5 to overturn the result. My question becomes: How many goals is Luongo allowing in those games where the team scores 1, and if it's more than 2, the there's cause to look at why.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Ok, if that's the case, can you explain to me what he was doing on the two occasions where he was prone on the ice before the skater had made his move? The shooter shot wide on both occasions, but I would like to know why he was prone there?

The first goal against was a comedy of errors by a few players, but Lu didn't help by remaining stationary on the player bearing down on him.

Also, your stat ignores situations where Luongo gives up the 1st and 2nd goal before the Canucks score a goal. If the team is already down multiple goals, it really doesn't matter that they score 1. They would have to score 4 or 5 to overturn the result. My question becomes: How many goals is Luongo allowing in those games where the team scores 1, and if it's more than 2, the there's cause to look at why.

Wait are you saying its Luongo's fault we lose games if he lets in 3 or 4 when we only score 1? No Luongo plays a good game and its the teams fault that they can't score. He can be shaky sometimes but cmon are you serious?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Wait are you saying its Luongo's fault we lose games if he lets in 3 or 4 when we only score 1? No Luongo plays a good game and its the teams fault that they can't score. He can be shaky sometimes but cmon are you serious?

I'm saying that the stat ignores game situations. In some games, Luongo is the goat putting the team down by multiple goals against the run of play, and then it's the Canucks trying to score out of a whole.

There seems to be a lot of double talk with stats here. Some put no bearing in them at all, and that's fair. But then you can't latch onto a record based stat that has underlying values that dispute your case. For example, if the team scores 5 and Luongo let's in 4, with a putrid save percentage, how does this support Luongo? Or if the team has a record of being scored against 1st, on the 1st shot, in more that 6 game, does that get brushed over if the team scores more?

The record argument ignores the run of play, and particularly the play localized to Luongo.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

If you're talking about the Atkinson chance, Luongo tried the poke check, but it failed.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It's just more passive aggressive Luongo bashing. I just block it out now because it's becoming beyond ridiculous. The only people saying Luongo hasn't been good enough are online Canuck fans. Even people in the media are talking about how Luongo has been one of our lone bright spots this season. But for some reason some people still cling to the fantasy that we'll dump Luongo in favor of installing a rookie number one, or a bottom tier goalie as our starter going forward.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's a better question for someone else, I only watched that play once, and in real time. Haven't been able to see a replay of it.

It's easy for armchair goalies to question a professional NHL goaltender when they have the benefit of slowing down a play, watching the replay, thinking about the situation, and change what they would do assuming the player would continue to do the same thing. In this situation they would probably post a 1.000 SVP and question why Luongo doesn't.

I wonder why the Canucks employ Rollie Melanson? I'm sure they could find several goalie coaches online who would probably work for much cheaper.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Why did he try to overextend himself to poke-check when he didn't have to? Good decision?

In the first goal he allowed, he wasn't aggressive and a bad defensive play by Kassian resulted in a goal.

Here he tried to be more aggressive to try and prevent a similar scoring opportunity from happening. He overcompensated, but I don't think it's air to criticize Luongo for not being aggressive enough on the first goal then fault him for trying to be proactive on this chance.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In the first goal he allowed, he wasn't aggressive and a bad defensive play by Kassian resulted in a goal.

Here he tried to be more aggressive to try and prevent a similar scoring opportunity from happening. He overcompensated, but I don't think it's air to criticize Luongo for not being aggressive enough on the first goal then fault him for trying to be proactive on this chance.

Why not? Each chance/play is different, and so each decision/reaction should be different. If he overcompensated, then we have our answer. That fact that he misread the first play and wasn't aggressive enough, also compounds the matter, it doesn't justify it.

A more athletic goalie can make a bad decision and recover with ability. A positional goalie has to be razor sharp in his reads. I am seeing Luongo wade through the murky water in the middle right now.

Ok, said way more about Lu than I wanted to. Onto the next game to see what he does.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

We won 6-2 for **** sakes. Can't you guys take a breather and be happy about it instead of sniveling about a goal going in.

Does it suck the first shot went in? sure, but it also sucks kassian didn't just back hand the puck back into the corner.

PS. How does the ref not have a penalty called right as Santorelli has his head driven into the dasher? Also, why is Sestito getting the worst ticky tack penalties I've ever seen this season. The phantom board and charge are laughable calls, Ovechkin is allowed to do that any time he wants. Keep it up league.

Lundface*

It's just more passive aggressive Luongo bashing. I just block it out now because it's becoming beyond ridiculous. The only people saying Luongo hasn't been good enough are online Canuck fans. Even people in the media are talking about how Luongo has been one of our lone bright spots this season. But for some reason some people still cling to the fantasy that we'll dump Luongo in favor of installing a rookie number one, or a bottom tier goalie as our starter going forward.

Bright spot? Seriously? In all honesty are your expectations of him this low that when he's below league average in save percentage (as Garrett mentioned has never been this high before) he's considered to be a bright spot?

I think you've been listening to Garrett for too long on his opinion of Luongo and the goals he lets in. Regardless of the situation he refers to the goal as "no chance" for Luongo. Literally every goal he lets in his deemed "no chance" and I guess people are eating it up.

What Luongo is right now is the best first shot goaltender in the league. He's also doing so without being over aggressive like a Quick/Thomas which has its advantages. When someone comes in on a penalty shot and shoots Luongo is near unbeatable.

Luongo is also very slow in his lateral movement, glacier in reacting to second shot opportunities, and weak on downlow jam plays. His rebounds are about average, he's not particularly terrible with them.

Rarely does he let the first shot go in so maybe that's why people are so apologetic towards him, but there is far more to goaltending then just saving easy shots. This became extremely evident with Schneider here and you could compare their play...the only thing Luongo does better is stop one on one shots and doesn't make a mess while playing the puck, everything else Schneider was much better at. Lack from early viewing is much like Schneider in that he has good technique but he also isn't as good as Luongo on saving point blank shots.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We won 6-2 for **** sakes. Can't you guys take a breather and be happy about it instead of sniveling about a goal going in.

Does it suck the first shot went in? sure, but it also sucks kassian didn't just back hand the puck back into the corner.

PS. How does the ref not have a penalty called right as Santorelli has his head driven into the dasher? Also, why is Sestito getting the worst ticky tack penalties I've ever seen this season. The phantom board and charge are laughable calls, Ovechkin is allowed to do that any time he wants. Keep it up league.

Because it should have been 6-0 :rant:

:sarcasm:

Tanevian*

Even the media? Well there you have it.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The problem here is that people can't separate Luongo's game from the rest of the team (ie the offense not scoring). One has nothing to do with the other.

I don't think Luongo played a particularly strong game, he wasn't busy and when he was tested he didn't look very confident as he was flopping around quite a bit. I don't blame him on the first goal, that was primarily Kassian's **** up, and Bieksa was far too passive on the play. The second goal was a very juicy rebound given up by Lu and some weak coverage by Garrison (i think) in front. It's a good thing Columbus is a sad team because if they actually mounted any kind of offensive pressure the outcome might have been very different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad