Post-Game Talk: Game #24: Canucks 6, Jackets 2 - 6 goals? That's enough goals for 6 games!

Tanevian*

Marty Brodeur, Mike Smith, Evgeni Nabokov, Ron Hextall, Chris Osgood, and Jose Theodore all disagree with you. Pfft...Luongo is the problem with this team. He lets in goals where he has no chance to make the save on (where most NHL goalies wouldn't make the save) but it's his lack of goal scoring that's killing us.

Huntingwindmills.jpg

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And so what.

What is says is that interest is waning in the Vancouver hockey market. It's a short-sighted view to say "oh everything is honkey dorey because the tickets were sold" but you'd be ignoring the fact that there is an underlying problem when a lot of people aren't actually filling those seats.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Maybe that's because a goalie can't score goals, and if your team isn't scoring goals, you won't win?

Let's try this again.

I work in an office. It's my job to manage data. Let's leave it at that. Me doing my job isn't necessarily going to lead to our company being a profitable company; that depends on the performance of a lot of people. Namely, sales. If Sales can't sell our products, my job is meaningless.

Be that as it may, I am not judged based on whether or not the sales people are effective. It is true that if we're not selling products, it doesn't much matter what I do, but that doesn't mean nobody cares if I just put my feet up on my desk and do nothing all day. I am judged based on how I perform. Period. Even if we don't sell a single product, I am still only going to be judged based on how well I do my job. If I'm doing it poorly, I'm doing it poorly, and nobody is "blaming" the failure of the company on me. Nobody will say "It's not his fault! We didn't sell any products! It's the sales peoples fault!" I am judged based on my performance. Period. End of discussion.

And I mean that literally.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's try this again.

I work in an office. It's my job to manage data. Let's leave it at that. Me doing my job isn't necessarily going to lead to our company being a profitable company; that depends on the performance of a lot of people. Namely, sales. If Sales can't sell our products, my job is meaningless.

Be that as it may, I am not judged based on whether or not the sales people are effective. It is true that if we're not selling products, it doesn't much matter what I do, but that doesn't mean nobody cares if I just put my feet up on my desk and do nothing all day. I am judged based on how I perform. Period. Even if we don't sell a single product, I am still only going to be judged based on how well I do my job. If I'm doing it poorly, I'm doing it poorly, and nobody is "blaming" the failure of the company on me. Nobody will say "It's not his fault! We didn't sell any products! It's the sales peoples fault!" I am judged based on my performance. Period. End of discussion.

And I mean that literally.

Your job is to manage data, but let's say that the IT department screwed up and you couldn't get the data at all. In fact the entire system was shut down and you couldn't do any work that day. Is it really fair for you to get a reprimand for not doing any of your data management work on that day that the system was shut down? Sure it was the IT"s fault, but if you want to just hone in on your own performance it was a clean cut 0 for that one day.

Wetcoaster

What is says is that interest is waning in the Vancouver hockey market. It's a short-sighted view to say "oh everything is honkey dorey because the tickets were sold" but you'd be ignoring the fact that there is an underlying problem when a lot of people aren't actually filling those seats.
The waiting list for season tickets remains years long and very few do not re-up. No real world problem that I can see.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice

Yeah, it's called tickets being priced too high, especially for a game against a team like Columbus.

Some people face the real world, where they can be a staunch supporter and die-hard hockey fan but not afford to pay $350 for a pair of tickets in the corner.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's easy for armchair goalies to question a professional NHL goaltender when they have the benefit of slowing down a play, watching the replay, thinking about the situation, and change what they would do assuming the player would continue to do the same thing. In this situation they would probably post a 1.000 SVP and question why Luongo doesn't.

I wonder why the Canucks employ Rollie Melanson? I'm sure they could find several goalie coaches online who would probably work for much cheaper.

Funny to see you go into that level of context for Luongo and Luongo only, yet when it comes to the forwards - namely the Sedins - that same fervor is strangely lacking. Ironic?

Wetcoaster

Yeah, it's called tickets being priced too high, especially for a game against a team like Columbus.

Some people face the real world, where they can be a staunch supporter and die-hard hockey fan but not afford to pay $350 for a pair of tickets in the corner.
???

The tickets have already been sold.

If anything it shows that tickets are not overpriced just that some fans are not excited by a Friday night game with CBJ.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Well, he makes a toe save there, it's hard to control rebounds on toe saves. Sometimes you have to give the shooter some credit for his shot placement.

Also while I agree with you in general philosophy, Lu is just not an active stick goaltender which is not surprising given his coaching influences. Personally I think all goalies should be active stick goalies but Lu is just not. Which is disappointing but it isn't going to change anytime soon. And he's not alone in the league by any means.

Having said that, you'd have to lunge to redirect with your stick there. So yeah, I disagree with your assessment on that particular goal.

It's hard to control rebounds from all sorts of different shots, but it's still done. Was it an easy rebound to control? No, not really but if you serve up a big juicy rebound it might bite you in the ass...and in that case it bit Lu.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
And how is that a real world problem and in particular how does it affect the Canucks business?

Scalpers unable to sell tickets on a cold Friday night in a hockey town is a canary in the coal mine, in my opinion.

I know a couple longer time season tickets holders and they have both remarked to me that there has been noticeably more empty seats than years past. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but people have noticed.

Wetcoaster

Scalpers unable to sell tickets on a cold Friday night in a hockey town is a canary in the coal mine, in my opinion.

I know a couple longer time season tickets holders and they have both remarked to me that there has been noticeably more empty seats than years past. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but people have noticed.
And so what.

In 15 years if it keeps up at this rate there might be a slight likelihood the Canucks might have few season ticket packages for sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad