GDT: Game 24: Arizona @ Edmonton | 19:30 MST | BSAZX | Last game of the road trip

Does Zach Kassian receive a video tribute?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Finally on pace to match his rookie season again. He’s been a quality checking line player this season. I honestly didn’t believe this could happen after the last few years. Tocchet really did a number on this kid, I guess.
I believe he once went a calendar year without scoring a goal

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe he onece went a calendar year without scoring a goal
I fully come aboard the Fischer train again as soon as he challenges Nate MacKinnon to a fight. Even if Nate declines. Even if Nate beats the crap out of him. Fish has to challenge him to reclaim something he has lost.

I’m only half kidding. I guess it doesn’t have to be MacKinnon but I’d really feel better about him if he’d fight someone. Anyone. That bubble incident really taints my view of this player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just that it was his big night and had all the friends and family in attendance and then this happened. Probably the worst game under Tourigny. They honestly looked like the mites team I coach.
Why? Is your team near last place?;)

Finally on pace to match his rookie season again. He’s been a quality checking line player this season. I honestly didn’t believe this could happen after the last few years. Tocchet really did a number on this kid, I guess.
RT did a number on the team in general.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Just watched the recap.
Damn, we got stomped. So many Bad turnovers or Puck mishandles.
And ingram got so unsecure during the Game because of this. Its Not His fault we lost and i Hope that the Coach says the Same.

Hopefully it geht's better now that we Play at Home.
forget “forecheck backcheck paycheck”, we’re down to hope.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
So, just more than 25% through the season. I’m going to take a more subtle approach than last time.
Thus, considering last nights performance, what grade would give for:
1) The level of effort and execution on the part of the players?
2) The evidence of high quality instruction, strategy and planning on the coaches part, as it pertains to player effort and execution?

Dont digitally shoot me. Someone is gonna ask, might as well be little pipes

Last edited:

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
So, just more than 25% through the season. I’m going to take a more subtle approach than last time.
2) The evidence of high quality instruction, strategy and planning on the coaches part, as it pertains to player effort and execution?

1) D-
2) D-

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Based on EVERYTHING being stacked against them:

1. B+
Last night aside, since it was their 14th game on the road, in a row; I think the team has overachieved so far. We're not even in last place and we have less talent than every other team in the league and a tougher schedule too.

2. A+
Tourigny is awesome, he's just got one of the worst jobs in the league right now and he's still been fantastic. Scotty Bowman couldn't do a better job with what we've assembled.

This team was built to lose games and here we are... go figure! Not sure if these grades are justified, but I think all things considerded they deserve a good mark.

Don't mistake being outmatched for being unprepared, poor planning, or poor effort.

Edit: I don't really think it's fair to judge the team or the coach for a lack of success when the GM's vision is a high draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: XX and gorsk11

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'm still giggling about even the idea that Rick Tocchet is a candidate for any open coaching job.

One thing I learned in the military is that how you present yourself (appearance, vibe, attitude, speech pattern) carries much more weight than competency. That's not too say that those being promoted are incompetent, but rather high-level performers are often overlooked.

RT comes across as a guy that should be a successful hockey coach. The fact that his head coaching record sucks is less relevant. (apparently)

Reactions: Nowotny

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Based on EVERYTHING being stacked against them:

1. B+
Last night aside, since it was their 14th game on the road, in a row; I think the team has overachieved so far. We're not even in last place and we have less talent than every other team in the league and a tougher schedule too.

2. A+
Tourigny is awesome, he's just got one of the worst jobs in the league right now and he's still been fantastic. Scotty Bowman couldn't do a better job with what we've assembled.

This team was built to lose games and here we are... go figure! Not sure if these grades are justified, but I think all things considerded they deserve a good mark.

Don't mistake being outmatched for being unprepared, poor planning, or poor effort.

Edit: I don't really think it's fair to judge the team or the coach for a lack of success when the GM's vision is a high draft pick.
lol. I wasnt judging, just asking. thanks for your input

Reactions: Kai Yo T

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Owners must NOT go back and look at his past HC debacles. Geez, is it that hard??

Here's the thing - Tocchet is a member of the Boys' Club. He's Gretzky's buddy as well as a peer of about half to three-quarters of the bunch that is now running the league. Hence, they will ignore every rational metric when it comes to hiring him that they would pay attention to for anyone not in The Gang.

And as long as that mentality exists, any organization that can successfully break out of it has an automatic advantage over the others.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

1) D-
2) D-

Were you not here for the Tocchet days? I feel like that's the only way you could ever seriously give Tourigny poor marks for anything. This team literally hasn't been shut out yet.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Were you not here for the Tocchet days? I feel like that's the only way you could ever seriously give Tourigny poor marks for anything. This team literally hasn't been shut out yet.
“considering last nights performance”
fyi - been a yotes fan since Don Hay, day 1.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
“considering last nights performance”
fyi - been a yotes fan since Don Hay, day 1.

It's one game.

Jared Bednar had MacK, Duchene, Rantanen, Barrie, Landeskog etc... his first year and won 22 games.

Why not list out the players that have improved under Tourigny, and those that have regressed? Might be illuminating for you.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
It's one game.

Jared Bednar had MacK, Duchene, Rantanen, Barrie, Landeskog etc... his first year and won 22 games.

Why not list out the players that have improved under Tourigny, and those that have regressed? Might be illuminating for you.
just a question. its ok if you dont want to answer 😁

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Here's the thing - Tocchet is a member of the Boys' Club. He's Gretzky's buddy as well as a peer of about half to three-quarters of the bunch that is now running the league. Hence, they will ignore every rational metric when it comes to hiring him that they would pay attention to for anyone not in The Gang.

And as long as that mentality exists, any organization that can successfully break out of it has an automatic advantage over the others.
In defense of the good ol’ boys club, none have hired him as HC, since his most recent debacle here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad