GDT: Game 23: Quarter Finals | Finland Eliminate Canada 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Fell asleep halfway through the third. Shocked to find out Canada lost. I feel brutal for Dipietro, he was doing everything he could. But even in the 50 mins I saw Finland was probably outplaying Canada so I guess ultimately I'm not surprised.

This team just never seemed to play to its potential. Its too bad they squander the game when Dipietro was giving them the chance to close it out. Always brutal to lose the first elimination game. Congrats to Finland.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Fortunately, I see no sign of that being new, or more pronounced. I mean think of Bill Barber (if you don't know of him, plenty older folks here would) and his ilk from days of yore. Agree with your comment on Comtois, just left a bad taste, but did not find this team unlikable on a personal level otherwise, just found their play unlikable. Thought they started to find some creativity and their wheels in the 3rd period, though.
his "ilk"? Are you saying diving was such a popular past-time in years past there was an entire "ilk" of players runing around doing it? That it wasn't vilified in the past far more than it is now? Beause I'm pretty sure you would be dead wrong

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Kakko was unbelievably invisible tonight. I mean usually he's one of the better players in a game. Wasnt bad, just didn't show too much. I think he'll steal the stage in the upcoming games tho.

Navin RJ

"A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap."
Jan 9, 2011
Exchange Distric
Ouch! We couldn't score this year, 2 goals in last 2 games won't cut it. BM said it best, and im paraphrasing. Get scored on with 40 seconds in the game to tie, then miss a penalty shot in OT usually doesn't bode well. Does Fin beat us in a best of 7? I doubt it, but this tourney is about who can gel the fastest and makes for great hockey. Next year fellas

Reactions: AreBe

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Man oh man, If I was a hockey stick manufacturer, Id be finding out what company made the stick Glass was using and replay that one timer attempt like crazy! That was as wide open as you can get and that stick break at that moment of the game is legendary
That stick break is in fact pretty much on Glass himself. Watch carefully how he is shooting in a very sloppy way and starts contacting the ice way too much with his stick blade, which makes the stick get such a pressure that they are not anyway meant to endure.

Sure he had a bit difficult position for his shooting, but still when you watch the replay in slow-motion it should be obvious that the stick break happened because of a technically bad shooting attempt. Would have most probably happened in that situation with practically any kind of modern era stick.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
That stick break is in fact pretty much on Glass himself. Watch carefully how he is shooting in a very sloppy way and starts contacting the ice way too much with his stick blade, which makes the stick get such a pressure that they are not anyway meant to endure.

Sure he had a bit difficult position for his shooting, but still when you watch the replay in slow-motion it should be obvious that the stick break happened because of a technically bad shooting attempt. Would have most probably happened in that situation with practically any kind of modern era stick.
Ya , I think his adrenaline was firing

Reactions: AreBe and Ippenator

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is it just me or does it seem like Canada's WJC mystique has waned a bit ever since their streak of 6 straight golds ended?

Oh it has for sure. We have stagnated as a developmental program and everyone else has tended up. It's been talked about before hut i think our junior development needs some updating

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Oh it has for sure. We have stagnated as a developmental program and everyone else has tended up. It's been talked about before hut i think our junior development needs some updating

So, ever since Carlson's OT goal......

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
his "ilk"? Are you saying diving was such a popular past-time in years past there was an entire "ilk" of players runing around doing it? That it wasn't vilified in the past far more than it is now? Beause I'm pretty sure you would be dead wrong
"ilk" meaning players like Bill Barber. Claude Lemieux was another notorious faker.
I could go on, as could you probably in naming players prone to losing their balance when the ref was watching. It's not really that hard to understand my point that diving is nothing new, and that it is not more prevalent now than before. As I said, it is not the "new way" for both reasons.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Some class, good to see.

Congrats on the win CBF, better team took it.

Thanks.
It was good game but this is hockey sometimes you lose sometimes you win.

Interesting fact was that Canada has lost now twice in U20 WJC quarterfinal game.
2016 this same happened in Helsinki and now in Vancouver.

I don¨t know what's the biggest reason in this loss but seems that pressures were too high this time.
When 3 yrs ago it was shaky goalie and stupid penalties and that what makes this even more annoying for Canada is that you guys were defending U20 world champion both times ( 2016 and now 2019.)

Thanks for great tournament to hockey Canada and their staffs.
It's sad to see Canada getting eliminated this game should have been U20 WJC gold medal game not quarterfinal.

Your team was enough good to win gold in home ice.
Hold maple flag and your hear head high and be proud of your country's team they did their best and you can't ask more about them.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Kakko was unbelievably invisible tonight. I mean usually he's one of the better players in a game. Wasnt bad, just didn't show too much. I think he'll steal the stage in the upcoming games tho.
He is very young still. And he is not also maybe as good as many of us Finns like to think of him (me too quite often). He is honestly a bit one sided really. A bit funny to say this about his type of a player, but I mean it that that his game seems to be mostly about buzzing around with the puck, but not producing even close to as much real quality chances as it would be needed with that kind of puck skills. I also don't like at all the fact that he is having quite a hard time in scoring goals at this level.

But of course all might change still even in this tournament, or at least next year, if he doesn't play already in the NHL, which I don't think he should do yet honestly, as I don't think that he will be really ready for it next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Credit to the Finns they played well defensively and capitalized on a couple bounces. This years team Canada was very mediocre and couldn’t find that game breaker to give them next goal when they needed it.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Eh, the thing about Kakko is that even when he is invisible, he can still contribute just by being such a strong possession player. Tolvanen stole the show on that line today, but Kakko had his moments and kept the pressure in the offensive zone multiple times.

Reactions: Mestaruus and CLW

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I am all in on a Swiss-Russia final...Let's go!!

Sounds like Finland is playing another game vs a home team next game as well. 6th player.

SUI was impressive and they were Finland killers in seniors' WHC last spring so this will be an interesting game for sure, especially with Finland's scoring problems.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is a national disgrace!!

Canada should have never ******** run up the score like that on Denmark!!!!

They are little ***** who don't deserve anything!!!!!!

Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad