GDT: Game 22: Seattle Kraken(7-13-1) @ Buffalo Sabres(8-10-3) - 4:00 p.m. PT / 7:00 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yet another win and we sweep the season series with Buffalo.
giphy.gif

I didn't like the third period too much but Buffalo giving it another go was to be expected and we always scored when needed.

Now we're off to Detroit trying to make it our first three game winning streak and five out of six.

I noticed that too but realized maybe it has to do with the border It may still be closed but im not too sure

They've had ten years without making it to the playoffs, completely tanked for the 2015 draft(where they got Eichel) and are now once again in a full tank mode(the wins at the start of the season were surprising) as they just traded the guy they tanked hard for to Vegas.

That just happens when you're bad for this long and give hardly any hope to your fanbase.
I mean, it didn't look much different in Seattle when the Sonics where on their second "five year plan" in a row and sucked the life out of that building.

Surprised we arent playing blackwell. I thought he was quite good.

Blackwell had actually been pretty bad his last two games and couldn't get the puck to a teammate in Tampa.
Sheahan isn't doing anything fancy, but he's a solid guy who helps with the PK as well.

I don't know if we trade Johansson or not at the TDL but he has certainly upped his value considerably. Only making 1.5M this year.

Yeah, we've got a couple of interesting pieces we could turn into picks/prospects at the deadline.
Of course unless this is the start to an incredible rund that has us competing for a playoff spot.

It's so much more fun when the kraken are winning and not losing early goals.

What's the reason for the turn around? Better goal tending or just more chemistry built?

An overall more concentrated effort and more balance in the forecheck that doesn't give up too many odd man rushes to the other team.
And since then the goalies have also improved their play.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Looking back now that collapse vs Arizona earlier in the year which then led to a 6 game losing streak is looking much worse now that they are playing well. They didn't take any points in that stretch and played Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim and a depleted Vegas. One win and maybe two OT or SO loses would have been so much better.

Good to see the younger guys like Geekie, Appleton and McCann having multiple point games. Getting more depth scoring is going to help them going forward, Schwartz, Eberle and Gourde can't do it all. Wennberg is cooling off a bit offensively, Jankrok never took off and is on the sidelines watching, Donskoi can't buy a goal so getting the kids going is great.

On defense the team has looked good without Giordano so Francis should see that and know he can trade him without it affecting the team. Borgen has been effective so he has someone lined up to play, Lauzon while struggling a bit lately is still another good option. So Giordano for futures should be on the table and not even waiting till the deadline. Goaltending is trending up, even if Driedger was a bit rough last night, so the team should be in every game going forward.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looking back now that collapse vs Arizona earlier in the year which then led to a 6 game losing streak is looking much worse now that they are playing well. They didn't take any points in that stretch and played Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim and a depleted Vegas. One win and maybe two OT or SO loses would have been so much better.

Good to see the younger guys like Geekie, Appleton and McCann having multiple point games. Getting more depth scoring is going to help them going forward, Schwartz, Eberle and Gourde can't do it all. Wennberg is cooling off a bit offensively, Jankrok never took off and is on the sidelines watching, Donskoi can't buy a goal so getting the kids going is great.

On defense the team has looked good without Giordano so Francis should see that and know he can trade him without it affecting the team. Borgen has been effective so he has someone lined up to play, Lauzon while struggling a bit lately is still another good option. So Giordano for futures should be on the table and not even waiting till the deadline. Goaltending is trending up, even if Driedger was a bit rough last night, so the team should be in every game going forward.

Like @Fistfullofbeer said in the last GTD, this team we're seeing currently could be the one going forward after the TDL.
The guys are currently showing they can win without Giordano, Jarnkrok and Blackwell, who could all be interesting trade chips at or around the TDL.

Though, with the team winning I doubt Francis will make any quick moves(doesn't seem to be his thing anyways) and probably waits where we'll be in the standings come February and the Olympic break, IMO.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
May be a question for a different thread but since it was talked about in the past couple posts I will ask here, Realistically what could we get for Gio? Is a A first rounder too much to ask for?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can't imagine a first rounder for a guy with a contract ending.
Actually in todays flat cap world that is preferable. A good player, specially at Gio's age, on an expiring contract is worth a bit. Plus, I am pretty sure we will retain as much as we need to maximize the return. If not a 1st, I would expect atleast 2 2nd round picks for Gio.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I can't imagine a first rounder for a guy with a contract ending.

Contending teams actually like those coming UFA's because it doesn't bring any future cap complications.
On top of it, selling teams are also way more likely to retain, which helps to fit those guys under the cap.

And like stated by others, if guys like Savard, Foligno or even Barkley Goodrow(who did have another year left) can net you a first rounder at the deadline, an experienced guy like Giordano should net us a nice return, especially if we retain something like 50%.

Actually in todays flat cap world that is preferable. A good player, specially at Gio's age, on an expiring contract is worth a bit. Plus, I am pretty sure we will retain as much as we need to maximize the return. If not a 1st, I would expect atleast 2 2nd round picks for Gio.

Yeah, I would hope so too.
Gio should net us a good package and then we've got guys like Jarnkrok, Blackwell and Johansson, who could also help stockpile some extra draft picks and/or prospects.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Contending teams actually like those coming UFA's because it doesn't bring any future cap complications.
On top of it, selling teams are also way more likely to retain, which helps to fit those guys under the cap.

And like stated by others, if guys like Savard, Foligno or even Barkley Goodrow(who did have another year left) can net you a first rounder at the deadline, an experienced guy like Giordano should net us a nice return, especially if we retain something like 50%.

Yeah, I would hope so too.
Gio should net us a good package and then we've got guys like Jarnkrok, Blackwell and Johansson, who could also help stockpile some extra draft picks and/or prospects.
Yep. And multiple 2nd round picks could give us options of trading up as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A trade I like is Giordano (50% retained) 3.375M to Boston for 2022 1st + John Moore 2.75M + Chris Wagner 1.35M + Jakub Lauko + Urho Vaakanainen.

Essentially Giordano retained for 1st + Vaakanainen, Lauko for taking Moore and Wagner. Prefer Vaakanainen and Lauko then picks on top of the 1st or to take the cap dumps. I like Steen as well but a bit undersized and almost 24 already, so went with Lauko who could be a decent bottom 6er. Vaakanainen could challenge for a spot next season and gives them cover if they do decide to trade another LD besides Giordano. Maybe Boston retains 25% on Moore or adds a mid round pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad