GDT: GAME 2 | Sens vs Red Wings | Happy Thanksgiving | 7 PM EST | Sporsnet One | Formenton Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
2 more missed breakaways for Dzingel... He really has to learn how to bury those, or he'll just end up being our Hagelin.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The powerplay isn't producing but it would be silly to claim it hasn't looked better.
Agreed, the Sens had plenty of chances to win the game, I think they hit 5 or 6 posts, two by Hoffman & two by Dzingel & at least one by Ryan. Ryan could have tied it in the shootout as well but put it over top of an open net. People can complain all they want about this loss but they had their opportunities to win it & didn't but overall played a competent competitive game. Of course, watching other teams score 5 or more goals & a few players getting hat tricks you can't help but wish some Ottawa player would step up like that. Getting Karlsson back will help but it wouldn't surprise me if he was out much longer than they keep alluding to that he could be back at any time. I wonder if saying Karlsson could play the next game is somehow related to the attendance problems this team is having?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Just finished watching the game. Claesson was our best defenseman until the Wings goal.

Im really liking Nate Thompson but please stop wasting Pageau with him.

Burrows is useless.

Turris, Ryan, and Brassard were pretty good. Hoffman was OK. Bad game for Stone.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just finished watching the game. Claesson was our best defenseman until the Wings goal.

Im really liking Nate Thompson but please stop wasting Pageau with him.

Burrows is useless.

Turris, Ryan, and Brassard were pretty good. Hoffman was OK. Bad game for Stone.
Wow, I thought Claesson was terrible all game long & Stone was the best forward on the ice throughout the game. I also thought that Thompson & Pageau did nothing. I guess it goes to show that people see what they want to see with the players they like or dislike.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I didn't literally mean shot for shot. That was an even game. We didn't dominate any log stretches of the game.

Watch the game again.

Shots : 38-30
Scoring Chances : 33-24
High Danger Chances : 14-8

Every team in the NHL wants another top 6 foward. Us? Nah.

Based on? Outside of the feeling of a kid wish under the Christmas tree who didn't get the toy he wanted...

They have a guy named Clarke MacArthur on the payroll, supposed to eat 4.65 of real dollars per season. We heard not long ago that he wouldn't play this season... It's recent and it's not like it's an easy task to acquire a Top-6 forward, maybe the price is too high. And then after, you'll be there complaining that Dorion overpaid either way. There's absolutely NO WAY to win with a poster like you. Stop trying to fool people :laugh:

I am one of them. Getting these 2 points doesn't change my opinion. Of course Anderson is the great equalizer. If he stand still on his head of course every team stands a chance where my their goalies don't let in goals. We haven't been poor. There's been som issues obviously. I just think our forwards should have been making easier work of that Detroit defence.

hahaha of course.It's pretty much a given like "the sky is blue" for anyone who has been reading this board a bit. The problem you have is that you only see one side of the medal.

Karlsson is an amazing talent but the difference between him playing or not is not serious contender and bottom-5 :shakehead

This team might lack a high end 1st line center but it has FIVE 1st line forwards. Yes, all of Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris and Brassard are capable of 55+ pts.

We seriously lack elite top end talent outside of Hoffman and maybe even Stone.

It's so evident it's not even funny. Our centers have no elite skill, they are great 2 way players but that's about it. Extremely hard to do well in this league when you lack serious creativity or brute force down the middle. Both of which we dont have.

I agree that most of our creativity and high end skill comes from the Wing in Hoffman, Stone and Ryan. Your best forwards should be your centers (ala Pittsburgh) or at least one (ala Chicago), it makes things easier. In fact, we should only have one of Turris or Brassard and another more dynamic center (maybe Duchene?). However, Brassard has looked great so far this season (but still early)

If we could somehow improve on Turris, our Top-6 suddenly looks deadly.

Hoffman-Tavares-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone

It would be great to improve on Dzingel too but playing with Brassard and Stone should easily make him a 40 + pts player.

We have the stuff to get Tavares.

Turris + White + Englund + 1st
Turris + Brown + 1st
Turris + Chabot + 3rd/prospect

I don't know, could still add.

Reactions: aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You must be an expert on this subject. :sarcasm:

You never know. Weirder things have happened.
There is nothing weird when money is involved. Without the tarp, place would have looked empty with almost 5,000 empty seats.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Watch the game again.

Shots : 38-30
Scoring Chances : 33-24
High Danger Chances : 14-8

Based on? Outside of the feeling of a kid wish under the Christmas tree who didn't get the toy he wanted...

They have a guy named Clarke MacArthur on the payroll, supposed to eat 4.65 of real dollars per season. We heard not long ago that he wouldn't play this season... It's recent and it's not like it's an easy task to acquire a Top-6 forward, maybe the price is too high. And then after, you'll be there complaining that Dorion overpaid either way. There's absolutely NO WAY to win with a poster like you. Stop trying to fool people :laugh:

hahaha of course.It's pretty much a given like "the sky is blue" for anyone who has been reading this board a bit. The problem you have is that you only see one side of the medal.

Karlsson is an amazing talent but the difference between him playing or not is not serious contender and bottom-5 :shakehead

This team might lack a high end 1st line center but it has FIVE 1st line forwards. Yes, all of Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris and Brassard are capable of 55+ pts.

I agree that most of our creativity and high end skill comes from the Wing in Hoffman, Stone and Ryan. Your best forwards should be your centers (ala Pittsburgh) or at least one (ala Chicago), it makes things easier. In fact, we should only have one of Turris or Brassard and another more dynamic center (maybe Duchene?). However, Brassard has looked great so far this season (but still early)

If we could somehow improve on Turris, our Top-6 suddenly looks deadly.

Hoffman-Tavares-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone

It would be great to improve on Dzingel too but playing with Brassard and Stone should easily make him a 40 + pts player.

We have the stuff to get Tavares.

Turris + White + Englund + 1st
Turris + Brown + 1st
Turris + Chabot + 3rd/prospect

I don't know, could still add.
I hate these long posts becuase I don't know how to respond so fancy.

1) it was an even game. Andy came up with massive saves. Now again. I didn't say we played terrible. But of course say one negative thing against management or the team and some of you that think management is here scouting out posters tries to attack. Scoring chances 33-24. Okay great. Still pretty even. We were leaky and had trouble sustaining pressure. Against a weak Detroit team.

2) you're right. Karlsson is not the difference between serious contender and bottom 5. But he can be the difference between bubble team and bottom 5. Bubble team is what we are. We are not a serious contender.

3) dude I know we're looking for a top 6 forward. And we need one.

Immnot the one who said we're not looking for a top 6 forward.

I may have got the order mixed up here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wow, I thought Claesson was terrible all game long & Stone was the best forward on the ice throughout the game. I also thought that Thompson & Pageau did nothing. I guess it goes to show that people see what they want to see with the players they like or dislike.
So. You're opinion is completely void of bias and pure. But everyone else's is simply dominated by like and dislike of players. You're better than that strider. Nick Paul is gonna be okay dude.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I agree Ottawa has 6 players capable of 50 pts or more in Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard, Ryan & Karlsson IF all goes right but Ottawa also has Phaneuf, Dzingel & Pageau who could hit 40 pts as well IF again all goes well. That's a lot of scoring but they need to spread out the play makers to get these other guys the puck in order to score. Adding another scoring forward would be great but adding another playmaker & scoring forward would be even better. Now is there one available somewhere? Could be a reason to keep Brown around since he has the IQ, vision, size & play making ability to be a point producer & setup guy IF they play him with a couple of guys who need someone else to get them the puck in scoring areas.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Brown - ??? - Ottawa needs a scoring threat from this 3rd line, maybe Burrows?
Burrows/Pageau/Thompson/Pyatt

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I blame most of the attendance issues on Eugene himself. Look at the beginning of the season when there were multiple reports of people calling/emailing to sign up for ticket packages while the Sens org didn't even return their calls/requests. This was most likely due to cutting staff costs and laying off employees.

Then Eugene goes on the Toronto media and criticizes this fanbase once again. The Sens are a business at the end of the day. They have failed miserably in that regard in the past few years (whether it be game experience, advertising, etc). Hell, do they think more people will want to go as they increase parking cost to 20$.

Would you return to the same local grocery store if they increased their prices while providing lesser products and criticizing you for not buying enough of their food?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Regardless, that new arena can't come any time sooner.

Man, I think the most disastrous thing that could ever happen to this franchise from a branding perspective would be to have the arena land negotiation with the NCC fall apart.

I think there's a big chunk of the fanbase that have already put all of their eggs into that basket, and having a new arena waived in front of their faces only to have it pulled away at the last minute would be a huge blow to the morale of the team and city.

And the scary part - knowing the history of the NCC, it's not a ridiculous hypothetical scenario, either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hate these long posts becuase I don't know how to respond so fancy.

1) it was an even game. Andy came up with massive saves. Now again. I didn't say we played terrible. But of course say one negative thing against management or the team and some of you that think management is here scouting out posters tries to attack. Scoring chances 33-24. Okay great. Still pretty even. We were leaky and had trouble sustaining pressure. Against a weak Detroit team.

2) you're right. Karlsson is not the difference between serious contender and bottom 5. But he can be the difference between bubble team and bottom 5. Bubble team is what we are. We are not a serious contender.

3) dude I know we're looking for a top 6 forward. And we need one.

Immnot the one who said we're not looking for a top 6 forward.

I may have got the order mixed up here.

How is 24 to 33 close? Are just saying despite the stats, or that despite the stats, the game was still even?

Also, just because Andy made some big save doesn't mean it was evenly matched. Howard also made huge saves.

The way you talk you'd think Detroit gets crushed against every other team, but frankly this league has far too much parity for that to happen.

Team played well but ran into a hot goalie. We didn't crush them, but frankly we were the better team despite not having Karlsson and losing Harpur a period in.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How is 24 to 33 close? Are just saying despite the stats, or that despite the stats, the game was still even?

Also, just because Andy made some big save doesn't mean it was evenly matched. Howard also made huge saves.

The way you talk you'd think Detroit gets crushed against every other team, but frankly this league has far too much parity for that to happen.

Team played well but ran into a hot goalie. We didn't crush them, but frankly we were the better team despite not having Karlsson and losing Harpur a period in.
I thought it was fairly even. Xspyrit says we're a serious Contender. We should have had a better game then.

And the way some here talk every game is simply a flat out dominant performance. There were a lot of warning signs last night against a team that is not all that great, and frankly not that many super encouraging signs.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Except watching him, and seeing how bad he is.

I say that to myself everytime i read one of your posts.
nan that's horse shit dude, you people are calling him a non NHL player based on TWO GAMES. Way to ignore his entire year last season.

you are watching the game with extrene biases in your mind. Its pretty obvious

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Ya, because our powerplay was fantastic last year lol
Ya, because our powerplay was fantastic last year lol
the point is we shouldn't judge the power play changes until our best player and power play quarterback is back in the lineup. If it sucks when he comes back then by all means. But they designed PPs to be quarterbacked by him and we don't have another guy like that expect Chabot

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I thought it was fairly even. Xspyrit says we're a serious Contender. We should have had a better game then.

And the way some here talk every game is simply a flat out dominant performance. There were a lot of warning signs last night against a team that is not all that great, and frankly not that many super encouraging signs.

again, karlsson wasn't playing. We aren't contender without him.

There weren't many warning signs. Jimmy Howard played a great game and they lost in a shootout.

I don't think people realize that taking Karlsson out is like taking Tom Brady off the Patriots.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
While I agree Ottawa has 6 players capable of 50 pts or more in Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard, Ryan & Karlsson IF all goes right but Ottawa also has Phaneuf, Dzingel & Pageau who could hit 40 pts as well IF again all goes well. That's a lot of scoring but they need to spread out the play makers to get these other guys the puck in order to score. Adding another scoring forward would be great but adding another playmaker & scoring forward would be even better. Now is there one available somewhere? Could be a reason to keep Brown around since he has the IQ, vision, size & play making ability to be a point producer & setup guy IF they play him with a couple of guys who need someone else to get them the puck in scoring areas.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Brown - ??? - Ottawa needs a scoring threat from this 3rd line, maybe Burrows?
Burrows/Pageau/Thompson/Pyatt

I think Pageau is better offensively than Burrows at this time. Pageau is under-rated offensively because of his focus on defensive play. So make that 3rd Line Smith - Pageau - Brown.

The 4th would become Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt.

I certainly would like to get a big first Line Center but that would cost a lot in terms of prospects, picks, and salary.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Karlsson will need time to get back in game shape when he comes back, so I think we need to temper our expectation when he comes back, he will need a few games to get his timing back. The Sens just like last season are a work in progress, they will get better as the season progress.
i doubt it will take karlsson long at all. It would be best to get him back in against a weak Vancouver team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad