Post-Game Talk: Game 2 Plus-Minus Thread

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Letang was garbage. Way too many turnovers.

Fleury knocking pucks into his own net is.. standard in May.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
+ Sid returned and scored twice
+ Malkin on the board
+ Iginla scoring assists

- x1000 for Niskanen. You DO NOT fight if you have the lead end of story... especially Niskanen... You're not a fighter dude.
- Team Defense, go **** yourselves.
- The series is tied going to New York.
- Dan Byslma I would love to see what this team could do with a decent coach.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Islanders came fully prepared. Took away the walls and we couldn't transition all night. No adjustments made from our bench on the break out. None. This is the most important element of this loss, because it is what gave the Islanders the puck possession battle, but it is also part of the risk when playing Engelland, Murray and Eaton all at the same time. When we do this, there needs to be support down low so they have obvious outlets.... but we are the Pittsburgh Penguins with Sid and Malkin and.... and... and... so we must go North in a hurry all the time, no matter if there is no one there to pass to.

Chemistry was shot to hell with a bungle of different lines and for very little reason whatsoever we saw Jokinen taking the spot of Bennett pretty much midway through the second despite Malkin winning 3 of 5 draws. Why? Unless it is a shoulder thing and he preferred not to take them, but in a game where he puts up 10 shots it doesn't appear he was bothered that much. You trust Bennett enough to make plays with an empty net and you sit him half the game before, Dan? Iginla just doesn't work well with Malkin and add Jokinen who is not a boards player and they just don't sustain zone time. It kills me that Bylsma does not care about chemistry when it comes to Malkin.

This alongside the many times we went with Sid and Malkin together (leading both of them to overpass and throwing the rest of the lines). What is the purpose of having them double shift with Glass and Adams and not see lines rolling with consistency? Idiocy.

And then to cap the 'putting the fear in Pens fans', which for me is about fearing Bylsma, the second part of the fear equation.... Fleury goes and gets us beaten by the boards. Awesome for the first half hour.... then, not so much. Hope he rebounds. Not putting this one on him, but he will certainly want number 4 back and that was the game winner. Number 2.... too active on that one also.

We gotta play a whole lot better in New York, but more than that, Bylsma has to actually have this team not play right into the Islanders game plan. I said after the 5-0 win that it flattered us big time, and you cannot give up 80 shots almost in two home games against the New York Islanders without doing something systematically wrong. Some here will say that it is on the players, because they weren't executing.... but when you keep on shooting your self in the face from your outlets and you have constantly shifting lines up forward, you don't give yourself much of a chance to get 'your game' going.

------ playoff Bylsma
---- Engelland
--- Iginla
- Fleury. Awesome in the beginning, but terrible when we lost the game. After all this matters.

I seriously don't know that anyone on the Pens played genuinely well on both sides of the ice. Crosby and Cooke were probably the closest.

nTsplnk*

You know what? It's not one ****ing game. It's a ****ing playoff game. The series is tied with a much inferior team.

Our passing was garbage. GENO, STOP MAKING ****** ****ING DROP PASSES. PLEASE. STOP.

We lost EVERY battle tonight. Every god damn battle. It was pathetic. I've never seen a team lose so many battles.

Fleury, honest to god, 3 goals were on you tonight. Played well getting shelled but those are goals that should never, ever happen.

Not one player can be blamed. This was the worst team effort I've seen in years. This was worse than select games from last spring.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
+ main boards. They never fail to entertain. All the mouthbreathers who couldn't wait to beat their chests, reminding us how they warned us how terrible MAF was. I was looking for them Wednesday, couldn't find them.

- I didn't read the GDT, so probably covered there, but how does Okposo not get an unsportsmanlike for instigating with a visor?

- Beau-meo, Beau-meo...where for art thou, Beau-meo?

STLPensFan

Jun 5, 2012
STL, MO
Can we get a mod to rename this thread the "Game 2 Minus Thread" ?

Not a whole lot to be positive about in that stinker.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Can we get a mod to rename this thread the "Game 2 Minus Thread" ?

Not a whole lot to be positive about in that stinker.

Crosby didn't appear to miss a beat and battled without hindrance. Seems a pretty big positive to me.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I thought Malkin's play/effort was poor when it mattered most.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Fleury just can't get it done when it actually matters.

If we can get the defense from the 3rd period and the offense and goaltending from the 1st we will be gold.

nTsplnk*

Just as a pre-emptive strike against the "it's a series" crowd.

You're god damn right it's a series. What did this win do for us? Nothing. We have gained NOTHING from this win. We lost EVERY BATTLE. We were physically and emotionally beaten down.

Every game matters. Every ****ing minute matters. They need to get that through their heads. This is a team game. crosby can't do all the ****ing work. Move your ****ing legs instead of throwing a way a ****** ass stretch pass that never ****ing works.

BB Gun

Mar 28, 2013
- Letting them skate into our zone with impunity. WTF were we doing!? Lacked hunger, and urgency. They made us look slow...

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Tough to pick individuals here, outside of

-Dan Bylsma.

The more I think about it, the more he blew this game. The D was absolutely lifeless beyond ten minutes in the third. The zone exits were horrendous. I and everyone else thought DB would straighten it out between periods.

Nothing changed. And then when the Isles tied it up, nothing changed again.

Halfway through the game and ******* Steigy realizes Jokinen has played less than two minutes. LESS THAN TWO MINUTES. He straight up forgot. That's it. I can think of no other explanation. He forgot the guy was there.

When he double shifted Geno on the fourth line, he was flanked by Glass and Adams. That's pathetic. That's terrible line management. And then, what's the only way he can think of, once realizing his mistake, to get JJ ice time? He benches Beau for him. Now it's terrible time management. Is he unable to get all of these players ice time? Is he unable to play them in the situations they need to be? He is a coach in a professional hockey league. Jussi ****ing Jokinen should not have less than two minutes TOI in the second, and your only way to fix it shouldn't be to bench another skill player as the other team continues to battle back and tie it up.

He threw out every possible line combination that didn't include Iggy and Sid. Again... what the hell is he thinking? He had Sid out with Morrow and Cooke. Why, WHY are you not sending Iginla out instead of Cooke? If you're trying to **** with match-ups, DO IT RIGHT. The team floundered, it couldn't get anything going, when you double-shift Sid and Geno, make it count. He has all these tools and no clue how to use them. He didn't motivate them when they needed it. He called the timeout early and it ****ing failed. Laviolette calls a timeout and a different team steps out.

How many times did he put out Engo and Murray together? Is he trying to ice the slowest D pair in the league? It's no ****ing coincidence that the D started going downhill when those two were out there together for multiple shifts in a row. The fact that Engelland saw any significant ice time after the two penalties is ridiculous enough, but he was right back out there with Murray after each one. It's mind-boggling.

I said it before the playoffs started. Dan Bylsma is this team's weakest link. There are tons of guys who had bad games, but Bylsma once again demonstrated an inability to either rally this team emotionally, as he is supposed to be so adept at doing, but was completely outmatched strategically, as he fooled me into thinking he wouldn't. The last two weeks of the season he looked like he'd figured it out. He ****ing tricked me, and if anyone's going to sink this team, it's going to be him.

This next game is gonna be real ****ing telling.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
+Sid being back

-Transition game nonexistent.
--Couldn't win battles on the boards.
---Not enough pucks to the net
----Sooooooooooft goals.
-----Out. Worked.

------The realization that the next game is a noon start. We are terrible at noon starts.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
if I hear desperate team one more time I honestly will watch hockey on mute to the rest of my life. Why is other team always desperate, who is desperate now? what a crap.

Islanders are exactly what they are the 8th friggin team in East and with these players you must roll all over them not being outshot and outhustled.

nTsplnk*

I thought Malkin's play/effort was poor when it mattered most.

Malkin was fine. he looked bad because:

A) There was no one ever open
B) Every ****ing puck battle was lost

The team was trash. Geno is a playmaker. There was nothing. The Isles beat us everywhere.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
And putting it on Fleury is pointless, everyone knew what the outcome would be of the game after the 1st period despite having a lead.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
- Bylsma
- Engo
- Not scoring on a 4 min PP just after the Isles tied it up

Give credit to the Islanders. They wanted to win more than we did tonight. Plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad