GDT: Game 2: Islanders @ Hurricanes, 7pm

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im not for players throwing cheap shots, even in retaliation. It doesn’t stop it. Generally it just welcomes more of it. I haven’t seen a game where a hit (cheap or legit) or fight in response to a cheap shot ever prevented it in that game or a later game.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
agree with svechhammer on this. the autopsy is already written should the Canes not advance to conference finals. Borg had opportunities and vocally admitted that they were targeting scoring help at the deadline. they did not address this at all. there were rentals available (Tarasenko would look great as a Cane right now) but they continue to overvalue draft picks and prospects IMO. Jarvis is the best example of this: terribly miscast right now and is contributing nothing. He's killing Aho's game.

anyway, the team's identity and playoff success seems to be tied to the defense generating offense. so far so good.
Seeing how our system is difficult for most to come in and be successful, paying large amounts for rentals seems non-sensical. Add in the team hasn’t shown it is ready for cup contention (mostly goalie issues) further making adding rentals non-sensical (see tampa before they were ready).

Throw in draft picks is how you build a winner.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Holy moly what a game. It was a rowdy house tonight. Jesper. blew the roof off.
Quite a fun way to spend a spring evening. Sometimes sports provides the perfect escapism.

Kinda glad my son and the in-laws are out of town this weekend for a wedding so I won't be attending the UBS games. I suspect it would be much less welcoming and more hostile than in past visits.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
agree with svechhammer on this. the autopsy is already written should the Canes not advance to conference finals. Borg had opportunities and vocally admitted that they were targeting scoring help at the deadline. they did not address this at all. there were rentals available (Tarasenko would look great as a Cane right now) but they continue to overvalue draft picks and prospects IMO. Jarvis is the best example of this: terribly miscast right now and is contributing nothing. He's killing Aho's game.

anyway, the team's identity and playoff success seems to be tied to the defense generating offense. so far so good.
Tarasenko also had to NTC and seemed pretty set on going to NYR if memory serves.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem almost every year in the playoffs has been special teams and goaltending. Acquiring any of the “missed” players wouldn’t have addressed the goaltending issue, and there’s been enough talent in the past on the PP to score (though they haven’t), which makes me lean towards it being a systematic issue, and thus, acquiring Tarasenko/whoever wouldn’t have made the impact needed.

Next year is when we need to make that push, just because of the number of expiring contracts we have going into the following offseason.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Sure but we used a significant portion of the cap on him that we could've used on another upgrade. I consider his loss a big loss for that reason.

when he was in the plan for the season, generally expected to be a real scoring threat on this team, and hurt well after all good scoring options were gone = missed.
COULDA’, WOULDA’.

HE’S BEEN OUT FOR GODS KNOW HOW LONG. DEAL WITH IT.

Less whining, more winning.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean he's still just a rookie earning his keeps. But I agree, even if he doesn't get first crack at replacing TT, he should be on the short list. He seems to have the legs and drive given his short season in the AHL and yoyoing up and down between the NHL/AHL. And he's playing like it despite not scoring yet.
I wouldn't mind seeing Drury up top. I agree with the earlier thought that both Aho and Necas need to be put back together right now. Neither of them has enough to work with to balance the lines, so just load them up together and make one dangerous line.

Drury/Noesen-Aho-Necas
Noesen/Drury-Kotkaniemi-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Stepan-Stastny-Puljujarvi

Prefer to bring up another kid to play on that 4th line, though. Rees would be great. Wouldn't mind Ponomarev either.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Seeing how our system is difficult for most to come in and be successful, paying large amounts for rentals seems non-sensical. Add in the team hasn’t shown it is ready for cup contention (mostly goalie issues) further making adding rentals non-sensical (see tampa before they were ready).

Throw in draft picks is how you build a winner.
having pool party slotted on a scoring line and being the team's only forward acquired at the deadline is by definition the most non-sensical move ever.

thanks for playing

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Fun game, playoff-style is so much more intense and everything just seems so much more important (which of course it is). Listening to playoff-Tripp is annoying tho. It’s like himself on steroids, and he doesn’t need to be jacked up.

Lucky non-call in OT, unreal sauce pass by Staal, and holy moly the almost-one-timer-wrist-shot by Fast was so skilled.

Raanta? Ehhhh. Stop one of the two glove-side goals.

I imagine PPs won’t be 6-0 Canes next game.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Zinger did play well with Necas back in the day. I know he's sort of faded away but if we start running out of options. I am all for letting some of the AHLers take and give a few hits.

It would be nice to take the next two to buy some time to let the bruises heal from this round.

Given the injuries et al, this experience feels like gravy now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
But seriously.... If the Isles are going to play like this, fight fire with fire and bring in Poolparty to throw his weight around the next couple games. Won't do shit offensively, will somewhat help defensively, but absolutely will hit heavy and will play over the edge if we ask him to.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
having pool party slotted on a scoring line and being the team's only forward acquired at the deadline is by definition the most non-sensical move ever.

thanks for playing
if only it were that easy to acquire scoring forwards. but we'll ignore your exact example was already gone before we were out of another deal which had the assets we needed for a Tarasenko deal.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Where did I see that? I shall find it and report their mistake!
It’s not inaccurate, just not an honest assessment of how the game was officiated.

Carolina’s one minor came during a NYI double minor high stick penalty. Turned a 4 minute PP into 2 short PPs and some 4-on-4 time.

Guessing the “6th” came as part of Carolina scoring on the second double minor.

The Isles had 4 minor penalties called, two of them double minor high sticks.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Discipline Burnsy's thoughts:

Raanta was pretty bad, but not awful. He made a few good stops and let in some soft goals. Honestly, you could say the same for Sorokin. The Noesen goal against was terrible. Yes it was a surprising and lucky bounce, but he should have been ready for that. I still think Sorokin was better than Rants, but neither goalie had a good game.

The Isles mucked it up a hell of a lot more in game 2. Some dirty stuff, some clean stuff. It's Nashville 2.0 out there. They had more of a cycle game going at various parts of the game, and our defense generally did a great job keeping it outside and cleaning up rebounds. None of their goals have been scored in the slot. They've all beat Raanta cleanly. Neither team is getting much offense going in the game, neither at 5 on 5 or on powerplays.

Casey Cizikas is a thorn. Real pain to play against. Great 4th liner for them.

They do a good job matching our intensity while we forecheck and playing tight man to man. They're more committed defensively than I anticipated. It's hard for us to get much going 5 on 5, and to cap that off we have no finishing. We're tipping shots that should be on net 2 feet wide. Jarvis in particular is all hustle but my god he has no clue where to be on the ice sometimes. He's just watching the play and putting his body in the least advantageous positions. He'll need a summer reset but we have to rely on him right now because of our injuries.

I don't think we are favorites for the cup at all, but if we make the other team play our style, I still believe we can beat anybody. If we did, we'd certainly be the least talented team to win it all in recent memory. The '06 squad played with a hell of a lot more talent it feels like than we are right now.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
So the Isle beat writer @ the Athletic writes a story on how sad it was the game was decided by a bad non call. Glosses over the TT injury. Quotes many players about how they have to play physical, wear teams down with hits, etc. And this:

Matt Martin, who had six of the Islanders’ hits in Game 2, helped to set a physical tone late in the first when he leveled Staal from behind and then promptly sat on top of him, shaking up the Hurricanes captain. That led to a scrum in front of the net involving just about everyone else on the ice.

Martin spoke on Wednesday morning about how constantly finishing checks on the opponent can have a net positive effect as things move along. “If you’re constantly putting the puck in deep and they have to keep going to get it and worry about getting hit in the process of doing that and having to make plays, not only does it take a toll on their energy and their body, kind of I think their mind is going to circle and have an impact on them making plays,” he said.

Buh, buh, buh the missed call!

Comments about what you would expect although there are a few rational folks blaming loss on poor Sorokin play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad