GDT: (Game 2) Home Opener: The suckiest suck that ever sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think they'll win tomorrow. Kulak gets the start where he played junior. Otherwise send him down if they aren't going to use him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was referring to the turnover, poor puck management
The turnover was only part of the problem though, pucks get bobbled along the board in that situation quite often. Brodie should have been backing up the play, he didn't. Brodie should have busted his ass to stop Letestu, he didn't.

If Giordano or Brodie were the one who bobbled the puck, they would be getting a pass, or at the very least it wouldn't be a huge deal. But because it's Wideman everyone feels the need to take a massive **** on him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
the main board is painful. idk what i expected reading the oiler-related stuff there

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The turnover was only part of the problem though, pucks get bobbled along the board in that situation quite often. Brodie should have been backing up the play, he didn't. Brodie should have busted his ass to stop Letestu, he didn't.

If Giordano or Brodie were the one who bobbled the puck, they would be getting a pass, or at the very least it wouldn't be a huge deal. But because it's Wideman everyone feels the need to take a massive **** on him.

To be fair, Wideman did have a **** game tonight, and his speed has taken a hit. That's being said, Hamilton/Joki were our only solid pairing tonight. Gio's still finding his legs, and Brodie looked a little tired(???) tonight, hope he's not injured.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be fair, Wideman did have a **** game tonight, and his speed has taken a hit. That's being said, Hamilton/Joki were our only solid pairing tonight. Gio's still finding his legs, and Brodie looked a little tired(???) tonight, hope he's not injured.

I'm not saying he was great tonight, just saying people like to pick apart his mistakes while giving passes to other players just because they aren't whipping boys

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'm not saying he was great tonight, just saying people like to pick apart his mistakes while giving passes to other players just because they aren't whipping boys

Wideman wasn't just not great tonight, he was noticeably terrible. I thought he was ok on Wednesday with just a few bad plays but today he was terrible with just a few ok plays. Not good enough for an NHL defenseman, let alone one making what he does. He needs to sit a game or two.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Wideman wasn't just not great tonight, he was noticeably terrible. I thought he was ok on Wednesday with just a few bad plays but today he was terrible with just a few ok plays. Not good enough for an NHL defenseman, let alone one making what he does. He needs to sit a game or two.

3orieSYGRGIT0EV7e8.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah tonight was bad, we get it. You missed the crux of my point so badly that you became an example of it.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Schedule is going to suck for everyone this year. They were saying on 960 today that they have 10 fewer days to play the same amount of games as last year so theres going to be a lot more back to backs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope Johnson gets the start in Vancouver.
I don't "hope" for it, but with 3 games in 4 nights I think he should get the start. The problems right now are team wide, other than a few decent performances the entire team has been hot garbage.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oilers fans coming in peace.

You guys have a ton of potential. Very young team. Reminds me of the Oilers three years ago. Experience will kick in its just about having some patience.

Obviously have some of the best young players/prospects in the league. Couple more years and you should be a perennial play off team.

Hope the Oilers have finally got over that hump.

geeze this is a kick in the nards haha

youd think Oilers have been a top team in the NHL the past few years if someone had no idea when reading this. IMO flames can very easily be a lot better team than the Oilers again this season.

Crazy what 2 wins can do this year for some fans lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I don't think anyone on this forum is defending Brodano's play last night, both had a bad game. Wideman was just so much worse.

I even thought Wideman was good in Edmonton; but last night he got absolutely exposed.

He needs to sit. In the NHL you cannot afford having a single pair that cannot skate. Engelland's been decent; but when you have two guys who don't move well, and one of them has thare defensive IQ of an avocado; it's a liability.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I said it before the season started, but guys are going to have to get used to it that Edmonton is simply a really good team now and likely a playoff one. I thought the Flames looked pretty good most of the game, but you can tell (at least most of us should) that they are in that awkward stage of learning a system. The look somewhat unorganized at times and when that happens, the Oilers usually made us pay.

I still love this team. Monahan looks like a total beast out there, he actually does remind me of a young Eric Staal. Gaudreau had a much better game and he was creating scoring chances all game and was really dangerousbi thought. Backlund and Fro looked really solid and reliable as usual. I would like to see Backs attack a little more, but that'll come.

Our 2nd line looked a lot better I thought this game. Bennett was attacking more, he had some moments where he dazzled the crowd showing his skill and hands. Brouwer played to expectations, nuff said. And I really loved Tkachuk's game, he did that move where he put the puck through his skates, I couldn't believe he did that in game so causally but it showed his rare combo of skill and grit. I just love what an SOB this kid is. He's constantly mucking it up and going at the other team, when he gets a little stronger, watch out. Lucic will wish he had his ability and IMO Tkachuk looks a whole lot more impressive than Pulju. I still love Nylander and Keller, but damn did we ever get a huge steal with this kid. He probably should have went 3rd in his draft.

Elliott did look better, but not great. I'm not worried yet, but if playoffs are gonna be a thing this year then he needs to get it going and soon. Dougie and Kevin looked great, please keep this pairing together. Gio and Brodie looked average (good but not bad), and Engelland looks like a total stud this year. I mean damn he impressed me, looks like a prime Sarich. I'd be fine to bring him back at 2 million per year.

Onto the bad news, Wideman. :facepalm: By far, he was our worst player. He stuck out a lot, and not in a good way. He was better in the opener for sure, but last night he was terrible. I mean, he should not be playing for at least a few games. At this point, keep this guy on the 3rd pair, do not let him play against any top 6 players, and give him PP time. Sure he's lost a step, but the mental collapses he had last night really hurt him. I feel for him, I really do, but that was a harsh outing for him and he was more of a liability than an asset.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's only been 2 games but I am very happy with Chiasson thus far, he has been fantastic. I think we should try him on the 2nd PP unit with Tkachuk and Bennett next time out if if continue using Brouwer with Johnny & Monahan.

I agree he has looked really good, for my expectations. I wish he would throw the body a little more with that sexy size of his, but he's pretty David Moss like to me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree he has looked really good, for my expectations. I wish he would throw the body a little more with that sexy size of his, but he's pretty David Moss like to me.
I've noticed him using it a bit, more than advertised anyways.

Speaking of hits, Gaudreau has as many hits as Ferland after 2 games. :help:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've noticed him using it a bit, more than advertised anyways.

Speaking of hits, Gaudreau has as many hits as Ferland after 2 games. :help:

Chiasson will throw the body, I wish he would even more but I don't think that's his game. But he has some skill there and I've liked what I've seen.

Ferland has been the definition of meh. He has not been good, he has not been bad, he hasn't really done anything. I loved/hated how Maroon played us, I don't know why Ferland can't get it together and be that type of player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Chiasson will throw the body, I wish he would even more but I don't think that's his game. But he has some skill there and I've liked what I've seen.

Ferland has been the definition of meh. He has not been good, he has not been bad, he hasn't really done anything. I loved/hated how Maroon played us, I don't know why Ferland can't get it together and be that type of player.
Because he's just not that good? :popcorn:

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Ferland needs to realize that he doesn't have the skill to play like he's been trying to play, he needs to start using his body and become more of a physical presence otherwise he's just gonna be a "meh" player with no impact on the game.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Another 15 goal season out of Bouma would be good. But he's not actually that good either.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ferland needs to realize that he doesn't have the skill to play like he's been trying to play, he needs to start using his body and become more of a physical presence otherwise he's just gonna be a "meh" player with no impact on the game.

Maroon has a career in the NHL because he knows his role. He's played regular minutes with Getzlaf and Perry scoring 20-30pts. He'll get top 6 minutes in Edmonton as well because he's big, he goes out and hits, he disrupts the flow of the game and creates havoc in front of the net. Kassian is also becoming this type player, and all they need to do is score 20-30pts to effective at their job.

Ferland needs to fed raw meat and whipped in practice, when it's game time go let the Pitbull off his leash. If he's not able to play that way, he's going to be a redundant NHL player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Took a trip to the Oilers board. The hate fest and rivalry is back on, all is right in the world.

And they are right, I mean after all, beating us twice in row probably feels like they have won the Cup after how bad they've sucked for the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad