GDT: Game 2: Hawkopoly | Sabres @ Blackhawks, 7:30 p.m. CDT (CSN) 10/11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Gotta call a spade a spade on this one. Richards getting demoted to the 3rd line already is a bad sign. He needs serious speed and talent around him or you're just not going to much out of him. At the same time, Shaw is playing well so you can understand him being up there. But yeah, Richards is not looking like a fit so far. I know after Handzus, I took it for granted that Richards would get the same red carpet treatment and play in the top 6 all year whether he struggled or not. I thought we would just ride out the highs and lows with him at 2C. It's pretty obvious that Q is treating Richards exactly as we wanted Handzus to be treated. That wasn't part of the plan, not until TT is up and producing anyway.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
He's on his fourth NHL team. Getting used to smaller ice is an excuse that list merit a few years ago.

Still only managed to get 50+ NHL games under his belt and probably with very little ice time. Perhaps it due to him being bad, or just unlucky and not getting a chance. I am not going to write him off just yet. I am certainly going to hope that being on a team that has proven winners will start rubbing off on him and he'll get more confidence as the team improves. Rundblad is a player on a team I root for and I certainly want to have him be successful, because it means the team will be successful.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Rundblad is a player on the team I root for. I'm hoping his awfulness will soon be replaced with someone who is more likely to contribute to our stated goal of winning.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Still only managed to get 50+ NHL games under his belt and probably with very little ice time. Perhaps it due to him being bad, or just unlucky and not getting a chance. I am not going to write him off just yet. I am certainly going to hope that being on a team that has proven winners will start rubbing off on him and he'll get more confidence as the team improves. Rundblad is a player on a team I root for and I certainly want to have him be successful, because it means the team will be successful.

Of course I want him to succeed. He's just shown nothing to suggest he will.

He's looked bad at worst and vanilla at best. No flashes of his alleged upside as a Hawk.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, it's only been two games. Way too early to shut the door on Richards.

Also, what were people expecting? He's a $2 million player that was brought in to be better than Handzus. If he's above par, then he'll be a good deal for us, even if he's on the third line.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Gotta call a spade a spade on this one. Richards getting demoted to the 3rd line already is a bad sign. He needs serious speed and talent around him or you're just not going to much out of him. At the same time, Shaw is playing well so you can understand him being up there. But yeah, Richards is not looking like a fit so far. I know after Handzus, I took it for granted that Richards would get the same red carpet treatment and play in the top 6 all year whether he struggled or not. I thought we would just ride out the highs and lows with him at 2C. It's pretty obvious that Q is treating Richards exactly as we wanted Handzus to be treated. That wasn't part of the plan, not until TT is up and producing anyway.

Richard's lack of foot speed looks like a problem with this team, and I'm torn on where exactly he fits in. Obviously, the 3rd line is not where he was expected to land after only a game or two and Shaw looks ready to have a good season wherever he plays. I still look at Shaw as a 3rd line player who has fit in well with Bickell in the past. Personally, I'd like to see Q move Richards back with Kane for balance purposes, but we'll see how this progresses. Rchards foot speed has never been his strength but with his playmaking ability, I am confident he will be more useful in the top 6 (meanwhile Shaw will solidify line 3, which is considerably less formidable without him).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Richard's lack of foot speed looks like a problem with this team, and I'm torn on where exactly he fits in. Obviously, the 3rd line is not where he was expected to land after only a game or two and Shaw looks ready to have a good season wherever he plays. I still look at Shaw as a 3rd line player who has fit in well with Bickell in the past. Personally, I'd like to see Q move Richards back with Kane for balance purposes, but we'll see how this progresses. Rchards foot speed has never been his strength but with his playmaking ability, I am confident he will be more useful in the top 6 (meanwhile Shaw will solidify line 3, which is considerably less formidable without him).

Agreed 100% on every word.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Agreed 100% on every word.
Yeah, but Shaw is viewed as a 3rd liner, because he's an agitator. He's got 2nd line skills and I think the 2nd line is even better with him, although by weakening the 3rd line it may hurt the team more than it helps it overall.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Kane needs a center that is better D wise, Gets in the crease, is physical and does not need the puck as much to thrive. kane for a wing has the puck allot (probably one of the best passing wings in the league). Richards on the other hand needs the above out of his wings since his strength is also passing. That is why he is not a great fit with Kane. Now sharp and hossa would be much better fits with Richards IMO.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
only option for richards :naughty: PROMOTION

Sharp-Richards-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Kane
Bickell-Toews-Morin
Carcillo-Kruger-Smith

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, but Shaw is viewed as a 3rd liner, because he's an agitator. He's got 2nd line skills and I think the 2nd line is even better with him, although by weakening the 3rd line it may hurt the team more than it helps it overall.

Yeah, like BobbyJet said, he's good on the 2nd and worthy of it. It's just that Richards' worth goes into the toilet on the 3rd line. For the purpose of balance continuity, they should switch.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
only option for richards :naughty: PROMOTION

Sharp-Richards-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Kane
Bickell-Toews-Morin
Carcillo-Kruger-Smith

That's not a bad idea either. I've long felt that Toews can significantly elevate any line. He doesn't need stars with him.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
That's not a bad idea either. I've long felt that Toews can significantly elevate any line. He doesn't need stars with him.

But so many opportunities created by Toews will be wasted by having him with low skilled players. Seems like a much less efficient offense to me. Plus don't trust Morin and Bickell (regular season version) at all against other team's top lines. If Richards plays well, they'll be an effective third line, no point, to me at least, in breaking up maybe the best line in hockey to appease a 50 point slower worse defensively center.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kane needs a center that is better D wise, Gets in the crease, is physical and does not need the puck as much to thrive. kane for a wing has the puck allot (probably one of the best passing wings in the league). Richards on the other hand needs the above out of his wings since his strength is also passing. That is why he is not a great fit with Kane. Now sharp and hossa would be much better fits with Richards IMO.

I hear you but Q seems pretty determined not to re-unite K/T. One thing your neglecting to mention however is Kane is an excellent sniper himself. If Richards can get him the puck in scoring position he can deposit it, with the best of them. Q needs to give them some time to develop that chemistry.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
As Bobby said, I think it comes down to Richards' foot speed. If he can't find a way to shift gears, then I don't see him having a meaningful presence here.

JR97

May 16, 2012
What about swap Saad and Hossa and bring Richards back to the 2nd?

Hossa is a beast of a defensive player making up for Kane and somewhat Richards. The top line doesn't lose much because Toews is a defensive beast and Sharpie is actually a good defensive player as well. Not a Selke candidate but certainly not a liability. If Richards doesn't cut it then bring back Shaw to center the 2nd and hope the chemistry on the 3rd improves.

I think Richards with the 3rd can improve a lot. The whole line just needs to keep it simple and not play to score but to win the shift and ideally that results in a few scoring opps. Bickell and Morin seem built for that. Versteeg for sure if he settles down. Richards is not that type of player the last few years but hopefully he's smart enough to buy in if he hopes on staying in the league after this year.

And I swear... if I see Richards do that stupid little between the legs drop pass again I"m gonna break something of mine that I'll regret later but it will be all his gawdambed fault! I saw him do that quite a bit under Tortz and I'm sure that didn't buy any brownie points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad