Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
My best guess is that Draisaitl plays but, similar to the 2022 playoffs, his mobility is limited and he may even need to ride with Connor.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Carrick should be in over Ryan. He has size.
Stetcher should be in over Ceci. He doesn’t suck.
I hope Henrique is a fast healer. He is needed.

Would be so Oilers to trade for these assets and not use any of them due to choice - injury.

Knoblauch is pissin' me off not gonna lie. Also why didn't he call a timeout last game?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
He could barely skate in the 3rd period yesterday, which is why pissing that game away is even worse. Tomorrow is as close to a must win as we can get, and we likely won't have Drai. My uneducated guess is he strained/tore something abdominal. His mobility will probably be limited from here on out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Skinner has another bad game like last night regardless or not if the oilers win, They HAVE to play Pickard or Campbell.
Skinner didnt have a very good 3rd period but he was still better than the goalie at the other end.
The Oilers had a measly 3 shots on goal in the last 2 periods.
They didnt even apply minimal pressure on a goalie that was brutal all game.
That approach isnt going to win anything.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
2-8 in Game 1s during the McDavid era. Any theories as to why?
Would say we have a history of dipping our toes into games/series to test temperature and then turn it on after we are trailing. But there's also a few blown leads in those games too, so hard to say. End of the day, the don't really play 60 minutes in a consistently good manner to start off a series it seems.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Lots of words by the Oilers players.

Need to put in the effort to back those words up

OddManRush

Mar 22, 2022
Would say we have a history of dipping our toes into games/series to test temperature and then turn it on after we are trailing. But there's also a few blown leads in those games too, so hard to say. End of the day, the don't really play 60 minutes in a consistently good manner to start off a series it seems.
Agreed. It’s kinda infuriating. And actually it’s 2-9 believe it or not

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Here are my keys to the game in no particular order (that we have control over, won't mention goaltending):

1) Shelter Nurse and Ceci by eliminating them from participating in defensive zone draws whenever possible, get them any matchup other than the Nuck third line (any line that isn't as heavy on the forecheck). No more than about 15 minutes of ice is necessary.

2) Ban stretch passes, period.

3) Ban defensemen from passing when their feet aren't moving, period.

4) If Drai is hobbled, play him on Connor's left wing, move Janmark back to the 4th line, play Henrique at 2C if available, Nuge if not

5) Shoot the f***ing puck at all opportunities

6) Get the puck the f*** off the wall in the D zone. Rimmed pucks around the wall should result in a few shifts off at best, benching at worst.

7) If you have no option, punt the f***ing puck or eat the puck. Do not swing it around the wall, or stand on the wall looking to make a pass.

8) Get f***ing working

We basically did almost all of these things in the LA series, but I guess a week off caused us to go completely stupid again. These aren't complicated fixes, they just need to play like actual professionals.

Reactions: ZJuice and Oilhawks

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Here are my keys to the game in no particular order (that we have control over, won't mention goaltending):

1) Shelter Nurse and Ceci by eliminating them from participating in defensive zone draws whenever possible, get them any matchup other than the Nuck third line (any line that isn't as heavy on the forecheck). No more than about 15 minutes of ice is necessary.

2) Ban stretch passes, period.

3) Ban defensemen from passing when their feet aren't moving, period.

4) If Drai is hobbled, play him on Connor's left wing, move Janmark back to the 4th line, play Henrique at 2C if available, Nuge if not

5) Shoot the f***ing puck at all opportunities

6) Get the puck the f*** off the wall in the D zone. Rimmed pucks around the wall should result in a few shifts off at best, benching at worst.

7) If you have no option, punt the f***ing puck or eat the puck. Do not swing it around the wall, or stand on the wall looking to make a pass.

8) Get f***ing working

We basically did almost all of these things in the LA series, but I guess a week off caused us to go completely stupid again. These aren't complicated fixes, they just need to play like actual professionals.
Ban Evander Kane breakout passes.

Reactions: K1984 and Heavy Dee

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Another small thing, but is actually a big thing - remember when Kane was playing RW in the first round and was incredibly effective and his trademark airhead turnovers in his own end vanished?

Ya, that's all back because they inexplicably moved him to LW. RW prevents his trademark blind pass to the middle of the ice and forces him to make the simple play with the puck D zone. Also allows RNH to make passes on his forehand breaking out on the other wing, which is obviously more effective than Kane doing it.

Instead of just staying with what works, we decided to make it harder for Nuge to pass on RW, give Kane the ability to barf on himself again on LW, and for the line to become totally ineffective because of the wingers.

It's these little details that make a difference that winning teams recognize. I wonder if it's even been a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad