Pre-Game Talk: GAME 2 10/14 7:08 PM - NASHVILLE - NESN, NESN 4K, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1697235798049.png

1697235859334.png

1697236047056.png

INJURIES

NASHVILLE

L. Schenn
D
Lower-body injury
day-to-day

E. Afanasyev
LW
Undisclosed injury
IR

BOSTON

No Injuries.​

The opening to the Boston Bruins' centennial season was no on-ice masterpiece.

After David Pastrnak's two goals helped the Bruins grind out a 3-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston will try to keep improving its game on Saturday as it welcomes in the Nashville Predators to complete a season-opening, two-game homestand.

As for the opener, there was some good, some bad. All to be expected.

"I don't think we played fast enough, consistently enough," Boston coach Jim Montgomery said. "You expect things to work on after game one. We got the result. We did a lot of good things, I thought, in the third period to build our game, especially playing with the lead."

While star rookie Connor Bedard stole the show early with his first career goal for Chicago, Bruins rookies Matt Poitras and Johnny Beecher uncapped their own NHL careers as the centers on the team's third and fourth lines.

"We want to put different people in different situations," Montgomery said. "We had Poitras and Beecher both take D-zone and O-zone faceoffs. That's what we want. Throws them right in the fire."

Poitras not only logged his first NHL point on Trent Frederic's opening goal but fared well in the faceoff circle, winning five of his seven draws.

There was a lot for the 19-year-old rookie to take in, adding in the fact that greats like Bobby Orr and Johnny Bucyk were in the building after pre-game ceremonies celebrating the franchise's historic milestone. And there was also a lot to like in his game.

"There weren't too many nerves. As soon as I got my first shift under my belt, everything kind of faded away," Poitras said. "I felt like the game was faster (than the preseason). It was definitely harder to hold onto pucks. Just kind of ramped up a bit."

The Predators are in the early stages of a new era under new GM Barry Trotz and coach Andrew Brunette. They have welcomed in veteran center Ryan O'Reilly and defenseman Luke Schenn, while Ryan Johansen was traded to Colorado and Matt Duchene was signed by Dallas.

"There's some serial winners out there," Brunette said.

Thursday's first victory of the young season -- a 3-0 shutout of a reigning playoff team in the Seattle Kraken -- was strong from top to bottom.

Juuse Saros stopped all 23 shots he faced while Colton Sissons, Gustav Nyquist and Juuso Parssinen scored, but Brunette was impressed with the other areas of his team's game as evidenced by 21 blocked shots and 25 hits.

"I thought the sacrifices and the will of our group tonight was pretty impressive, and it has been all of camp," Brunette said. "You kind of knew it, but tonight to see it live in action -- the shot blocking, the relentless pursuit of pucks, all the things we talked about -- I thought you could see the signs that it's coming."

Of course, the road gets no easier against a Boston team that set NHL records along the way to a Presidents' Trophy last season, but there is plenty to be excited about.

"I think we should take some confidence -- even from some things from the Tampa game, the last two periods, and most of the game (on Thursday)," Sissons said. "Obviously, we've got to keep this thing in perspective. It's one win in a long season and we've got a lot of tough opponents coming up in the next week and a half so we've got to stay dialed in."

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins bottom 6 is going to be just fine, defense and goaltending are solid, it's the top 6 that's going to take the most work to get right. What are the best combos, where's the best fit for JVR, how often will Lucic (and Heinen should he sign) join the top lines, when will Poitras get a look at 2C in place of Coyle and will he make it stick? Each game is a chance to keep sorting out these things.

As for the opposition, always hard to get a read on teams this early in the season. There's been quite a bit of change in Nashville. Ryan O'Reilly is the biggest addition, alongside Nyquist and Schenn, although I think the latter is injured. They're over $7 mil under the cap, and it feels like they're very much a team in transition under new GM Trotz. For now it's a middling roster that the Bruins should be able to beat on home ice, but of course if Boston aren't on their game the Preds have more than enough talent to hurt them.

Important to take care of business again and bank some more points before the west coast road trip begins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The Bruins bottom 6 is going to be just fine, defense and goaltending are solid, it's the top 6 that's going to take the most work to get right. What are the best combos, where's the best fit for JVR, how often will Lucic (and Heinen should he sign) join the top lines, when will Poitras get a look at 2C in place of Coyle and will he make it stick? Each game is a chance to keep sorting out these things.

As for the opposition, always hard to get a read on teams this early in the season. There's been quite a bit of change in Nashville. Ryan O'Reilly is the biggest addition, alongside Nyquist and Schenn, although I think the latter is injured. They're over $7 mil under the cap, and it feels like they're very much a team in transition under new GM Trotz. For now it's a middling roster that the Bruins should be able to beat on home ice, but of course if Boston aren't on their game the Preds have more than enough talent to hurt them.

Important to take care of business again and bank some more points before the west coast road trip begins.
Nashville is not good. Weird roster. They’ll play hard but the Bruins are -185 for a reason.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Nashville is not good. Weird roster. They’ll play hard but the Bruins are -185 for a reason.

I think it's a little early to say for sure who is or isn't good. Occasionally a roster will surprise. But certainly on paper this one doesn't look very strong and as currently constructed seems rather odd. I think Trotz is playing the long game here. A guy like O'Reilly probably doesn't fit a long-term plan but you need something to keep the fans happy and a vet to mentor the kids, and he'll fill both those roles. Otherwise the immediate future will probably be about giving the kids their chances and the GM working out which pieces are most needed to fill out a competitive team a little further down the road.

As long as the Bruins play well they should get the job done.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This schedule is frustrating. Selfishly, two games to start the season and then out west for late games means after tonight I have to wait a week to watch again since I can't go on a few hours sleep anymore. Oh well, more games in our time zone when it matters more I guess?

I love reading the threads in the morning and finding out whether the games are worth watching later though.

Reactions: BMC and Oates2Neely

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I think the d pairs may be a smidge different bc of the gap between tonight and the next game. I think Mitchell may draw in.

The hockey show is assuming Sway is in and it is definite that Saros is in for the Preda.

If the lines are in fact different I’ll make the updates when I get home from brunch.

I really hope you like the vintage feel I tried to make it.

Reactions: GoBs

Thefours

Feb 27, 2022
I think the d pairs may be a smidge different bc of the gap between tonight and the next game. I think Mitchell may draw in.

The hockey show is assuming Sway is in and it is definite that Saros is in for the Preda.

If the lines are in fact different I’ll make the updates when I get home from brunch.

I really hope you like the vintage feel I tried to make it.
Thank you!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The guy I'm interested to see from NSH is Tomas Novak. 26yr old pending UFA that can play center (though not great in the dot) and a ln $800k cap hit. Yakov Trenin is another one whose a 27yr old pending UFA. Good size, throws the body and can give you about 15 goals.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Grimey

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
The guy I'm interested to see from NSH is Tomas Novak. 26yr old pending UFA that can play center (though not great in the dot) and a ln $800k cap hit. Yakov Trenin is another one whose a 27yr old pending UFA. Good size, throws the body and can give you about 15 goals.
Thomas Novak quietly put up 43 points in 51 games last year. Good player

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I missed the first 1 1/2 periods last game ... so limited viewing first game.

Tonight I will be focusing in on JVR? Is he deserving of top 6 minutes and pp time? Thinking he's skating a thin red line for this team with some hungry players lurking in Providence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad