GDT: GAME #19 - St. Louis at BRUINS 11/22 7 PM - NESN, NBCSN, SN, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins’ next goal will be the 20,000th team goal in franchise history (includes shootout deciding goals) … They will become just the 2nd team in NHL history to reach that milestone (Montreal Canadiens)

Cx3rb8fXAAA_ZFC.jpg:large

960.jpg

Tonight's Officials

Referees Brad Meier (34), Brad Watson (23)
Linesmen Tim Nowak (77), Trent Knorr (63)

Ntl. Anthem Dayna Fisk

WAYBACK MACHINE

BOSTON vs ST. LOUIS, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Blues are meeting for the 132nd time in their histories with the Bruins having a 63-41-18-9 record and 480-388 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 36-16-9-4 in their 65 home games of this lifetime series with a 257-177 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins have taken points our of 9 of their last 11 games vs. the Blues at 5-2-4 and they are 6-4-9 in their last 19 games overall vs. St. Louis … They are 1-1-3 in their last 5 games vs. St. Louis in Boston … These teams split last season’s series with each team
winning their road game.

Fun Facts: 9 of the last 18 games between these teams have gone into OT or shootout with the Blues winning all 9 … The Bruins have not defeated the Blues in OT since a 4-3 win in Boston on 3/6/93 when Ray Bourque netted the GWG.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Torey Krug is 1 assist shy of his 100th NHL assist.
Jimmy Hayes is 5 points short of his 100th NHL point.

INJURIES (54 total man-games lost)

David Pastrnak – Undisclosed; Has missed 2 games
Noel Acciari – Lower body; Has missed 6 games
Kevan Miller – 10/11 hand surgery; Has missed 18 games

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1479818100000

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Many have advocated something that looks like lines 2 and 3. It will be interesting to see how they play. It's also good to see Morrow in the lineup. He deserves it based on his play.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Love that second line. Spooner has never been good on the wing in the NHL. Hopefully Beleskey can finally be our poor man's Lucic with Backes playing the role of Horton/Iginla.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Love that second line. Spooner has never been good on the wing in the NHL. Hopefully Beleskey can finally be our poor man's Lucic with Backes playing the role of Horton/Iginla.

I disagree. I think Spooner has looked pretty good on the wing, especially in the last 10 games.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Conpared to when he plays well at center? I don't think so. He just hasn't been as bad as the early season games.

I think he's playing as well on the left wing right now as he did playing center last year 5 on 5. He looks more responsible out there and he's creating plays and using his speed to play a better 200 foot game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's actually looked pretty good there lately.

Defensively Spooner is a black-hole as a center, but folks can't seem to see it. It took me a long time to admit it as well, but it is what it is, he's weak in his own end having the responsibilities as a center. Simply not good enough.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Beleskey/Vatrano—Krejci—Backes
Vatrano/Beleskey—Spooner—Czarnik

How good will this look in the not too distant future, pretty damn good is the correct answer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Beleskey/Vatrano—Krejci—Backes
Vatrano/Beleskey—Spooner—Czarnik

How good will this look in the not too distant future, pretty damn good is the correct answer.

Doesn't matter, you'll likely never see it, at least as a full-time option.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He's actually looked pretty good there lately.

Defensively Spooner is a black-hole as a center, but folks can't seem to see it. It took me a long time to admit it as well, but it is what it is, he's weak in his own end having the responsibilities as a center. Simply not good enough.

In 17 games, Spooner has 4 blocks and 6 hits. Center or wing, that's a really low combo number. Not doing much away from the puck at his end of the ice.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think Spooner has been looking good too.

Any news on Pasta ?

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO:handclap::handclap:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In 17 games, Spooner has 4 blocks and 6 hits. Center or wing, that's a really low combo number. Not doing much away from the puck at his end of the ice.

Well he's never been a banger or shot-blocker, and doubtful he ever will be.

Then again, Patrick Kane's blocks and hits totals aren't exactly high either. But at the same time, a lack of hits and blocked shots aren't always an indicator of poor defensive play. Bergeron only has 11 hits and 11 blocked shots.

Fact is, Spooner lacks defensive awareness more than anything, which is different from lack of effort defensively. And his lack of defensive awareness is much less of a liability as a winger than it is as a center, where it has a much more negative impact, enough that it negates his offensive contributions.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And why not?

Do you think the lines will be completely different?

Nash will go back to 3rd line C. Spooner to left wing or probably the press box.

Julien if given reasonable options at center he trusts more defensively and on face-offs will always revert to the more reliable option, in this case Nash.

Last edited:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
I don't like the 3rd line but it is what it is with injuries.

Go B's!

Man that bout with PJ Stock is something. To hear the announcer say he was at the end of a shift just makes you think about what he could have done at the start of one. My head hurt just watching :amazed:. Outside of Stan Jonathan and Tie Domi are there any other players of their stature that could play that role and play it so well?

As for tonight's line up, sure hope Spooner can show something different at the dot than he has in previous opportunities.

Let's go Bruins:handclap:

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Many have advocated something that looks like lines 2 and 3. It will be interesting to see how they play. It's also good to see Morrow in the lineup. He deserves it based on his play.

Good on Claude for promoting Schaller to the 3rd line. I think he started the season a bit tentative but his confidence has grown with each game and he's shown a surprisingly talented goal-scorer's touch at times.

It looks like the Beleskey-Spooner swap was made only because DoMo had to be moved down to the 4th to make room for Schaller and Spooner is the closest thing to a natural center on that third line. I think these lines were assembled both to promote Beleskey and Schaller for their elevated play of late and to create a heavy, heavy 2nd line against a physically formidable opponent.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
For a guy that plays 9mins a game sure gets a ton of hate..

Shootout winner meant nothing many games ago too

This. I dislike Hayes' game as much as most people on here, however don't people understand that we have both Acciari and Pastrnak out, and already have called Czarnik and Kuraly up to replace them?

When Acciari and Pastrnak are back, Hayes is out of the lineup.

Now if he's in the lineup when both are healthy THEN we should absolutely be upset about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad