GDT: Game 18: Washington Capitals(11-2-5) @ Seattle Kraken(4-12-1) - 6:00 p.m. PT/9:00 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Here we go again.
After losing six straight and eight out of their last nine games the Kraken will try to end their losing streak and finally give their fans another home win.
Doing so will require a way better performance than shown so far in the previous four home games and especially the one against Colorado.

The oppontents this time around will be the never aging Alexander Ovechkin, who's still scoring for fun and looks like he could break Wayne Gretzky's record in all time goals scored.
It will also be the first NHL game in Seattle for T.J. Oshie who's originally from this region and should have some people in attendance.

------------------------------------------------

Where are they playing?
Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA
Exterior-Hero-Shot-1024x575.jpg

When does the game start?
6:00 p.m. PT / 9:00 p.m. ET / 3:00 a.m. CET

How to watch?
Root Sports NW, NHL Game Center, ESPN+, NBCSports Washington

-------------------------------------------------------------

3 Keys to the game

1) First Period
So far, the Kraken have given up a league worst 20 goals during the first period and have dugged themselves into holes they hardly ever were able to come back from.

2) Make a Save
It certainly isn't completely on the goaltenders as they've been hung out to dry way too often and were put in no win situations.
Still, there have been way too many soft goals allowed and unless one of them gets back to at least league average we'll have a tough time winning games.

3) Defense/a more intelligent forecheck
Basically tied to the woes in giving up goals is the fact that our defense either doesn't really block out forwards and has other teams easily screening the goalies which makes it tough on them.
It might also help to stay focused on your assignment and play the man instead of watching or chasing the puck(3rd goal against Chicago, for example), while leaving guys open.

Also, the forwards could help with that as well by not being too aggressive in the forecheck which gives up a lot of odd man rushes and has the defense at a disadvantage.

--------------------------------------------------------------

i

Top Scorers:
Jordan Eberle: 9(G) - 5(A) --> 14 points
Jaden Schwartz: 3(G) - 9(A) --> 12 points
Alex Wennberg: 2(G) - 9(A) --> 11 points

Work Load:
Adam Larsson: 20:54 TOI/Game
Mark Giordano: 20:47 TOI/Game
Jaden Schwartz: 19:29 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Philipp Grubauer: 4-8-1 / .875(SV%) / 3.27 GAA
Chris Driedger: 0-2-0 / .791(SV%) / 4.78 GAA
Joey D'Accord: 0-2-0 / .855(SV%) / 4.06 GAA

i

Top Scorers:
Alex Ovechkin: 14(G) - 15(A) --> 29 points
Evgeny Kuznetzov: 6(G) - 15(A) --> 21 points
John Carlson: 3(G) - 13(A) ---> 16 points

Work Load:
Jon Carlsson: 23l08 TOI / Game
Evgeny Kuznetzov: 21:29 TOI / Game
Alex Ovechkin: 21:26 TOI / Game

Netminders:
Vitek Vanecek: 4-2-4 / .911(SV%) / 2.39 GAA
Ilya Samsonov: 6-0-1 / .924(SV%) / 2.11 GAA
Zach Fucale: 1-0-0 / 1.00(SV%) / 0.00 GAA

-------------------------------------------------------------------

According to reports from todays mourning skate Philipp Grubauer will start against the team he won a Stanley Cup with and get's another chance to finally break out of that slump.
Something that isn't all that surprising given Driedger's start against the Avs.

Hakstol also seems to have shuffled the lines again playing Johansson with Wennberg and Eberle, while Schwartz plays with Gourde and Jarnkrok.
On defense, Borgen will, of course, sit and Haydn Fleury will be his defensive partner in the press box.

Anyways, this one will be a steep mountain to climb for the Kraken given that the Caps have been fantastic so far this season and have only given up seven goals during their last six games.

Still, maybe this one will be a trap game for the Caps, given that they're one of the older teams and are playing on the back end of a back-to-back.

And, let's also not forget to...
giphy.gif

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I do not hate the lines I’m seeing posted on Twitter that I’m too lazy to post here. I feel like they are trying something different entirely, which is needed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
And this is why I wanted players like Tarasenko to be taken. At least it would be a lot more fun to watch.

Reactions: Gniwder

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't know what Schwartz was doing on that scoring play. He skated away from the puck letting the Caps get it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And this is why I wanted players like Tarasenko to be taken. At least it would be a lot more fun to watch.
Where were you when I was taking all kinds of flak for wanting both Tarasenko and Domi?

This team is way worse defensively than I expected though. It's one thing to have occasional brainfarts, but this team is a gas factory.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Even the PBP guy is brainfarting, lol. Kick save and not even close to crossing the line.

Edit: Though it was a heck of a save considering he was sliding the other direction.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
This team needs to at least to try to do some kind of trade(s). Changing lines for every other game ain't enough. This is getting just embarrassing.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Where were you when I was taking all kinds of flak for wanting both Tarasenko and Domi?

This team is way worse defensively than I expected though. It's one thing to have occasional brainfarts, but this team is a gas factory.
I really wanted Tarasenko. Thought it was absurd to even consider Dunn over him, even considering the risks. Dunn is a nothing player. Don’t get why anyone thinks he’s good.

The defense is playing just about as I expected. Larsson/Oleksiak/Gio are the only ones I think can hold their own. The others I think aren’t really significant pieces moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad