GDT: Game 18 || FLA vs CBJ || Nov 20th 6:00pm

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Nice to see big games from Tarasov, Chinakhov, and KJ. That's all I'm hoping to see.

same, but i’m also hoping to see improvement from silly too to add to this group. but i’m seeing none. one thing i’ve really noticed is he’s not as strong on his skates as he was his rookie season. dude is getting knocked over with ease. happened multiple times tonight.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
same, but i’m also hoping to see improvement from silly too to add to this group. but i’m seeing none. one thing i’ve really noticed is he’s not as strong on his skates as he was his rookie season. dude is getting knocked over with ease. happened multiple times tonight.

He leveled some dude in the 3rd period right in front of our bench. You could hear them going crazy on the broadcast. Wish they'd shown a replay.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm still more concerned about the skating. A lot of kids flop around like Bambi and then the balance improves. Those are the ugliest crossovers I've ever seen.

Reactions: I3LI3

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yep. The whole team in front of the goalie always plays better when the goalie plays better. Lots of people get it exactly backwards, making excuses for the goalie when they play like sh*t.
Its a 2 way street when it comes to confidence. If the goalies has confidence in the team in front of him he can play better too. This team can't score 5 every night to win. At some point they need to button down and play some defense. Injuries are not an excuse and the goalie shouldn't have to stop 40 a night. The is ain't the 1983 Oilers and we don't have Gretzky and Messier.

We average 37 shots against a night. For comparison the Devils are averaging under 25 shots allowed per game. Maybe a goalie making a lot of saves gives the illusion that the team is playing better but in reality we are still not playing very well defensively. We've had exactly 1 game where the team has allowed under 3 goals.

Goalies playing moderately well can cover for bad defense but bad goaltending is not an excuse for bad defense.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
was watching the post game interviews and someone asked johnny why he is much better at home than on the road so far.. he said something like “a few years ago people were saying I could only score at home and never on the road.. idk”

I looked up his splits and I was baffled. this has to be some of the biggest difference in home/away splits across the entire league.

johnny at home:

7 goals
16 points (1.33 PPG)
12 games

johnny on the road:

0 goals
2 points (0.33 PPG)
6 games

woah.

johnny is actually shooting a lot more at home too… 39 shots on goal in 12 games opposed to 13 shots on goal in 6 games on the road. woah, again.

also, i’m positive sean kuraly will never be a captain in his career but man, I love his interviews. guy tells it like it is and is personable at the same time. great signing by jarmo even still to this day.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Boone and Kent both thought it didnt hit Boone's stick. I think its legit Johnson's
That puck definitely hit something and changed angle downwards. From the replays, I couldn't tell if it hit Jenner's stick of the top of the goalie's leg pad.

If it hit the pad and deflected into the net, that's a really bad bounce. But it's not impossible.

And I agree that if Jenner says he didn't touch it, I would take him at his word.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn't watch but it seems from the stats that FL outplayed the Jackets with 50 shots on goal to 23 for the Jackets. If Tarasov isn't great and Bob didn't suck seems to me it would have been a different outcome. feom reading through the thead it seems like some of the guys played well but 50 shots and someone said 20 more attmpts against has to be a really bad thing.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Missed the game, only saw highlights but it looked like a 2021-22 Jackets win. The Chinakhov breakaway seemed to really flip momentum. Stuff like that is why I think having skilled finishers throughout a lineup is so valuable. It felt like Laine's bender last year was a prime example, it's often not just the goal on the board, the psychological effect that comes with it is crucial too.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Despite the shots, I don't think we were under too much pressure the whole night, it was constant but it wasn't the kind of dominating buzzing around the net that feels the most dangerous. Most of the Panthers shots were not super dangerous - I remember many just hitting Tarasov square in the chest. The optimist in me would think that maybe we're getting a hang of the defensive systems buuut then the Detroit game... So Florida just didn't have a great game is what I come up with.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That puck definitely hit something and changed angle downwards. From the replays, I couldn't tell if it hit Jenner's stick of the top of the goalie's leg pad.

If it hit the pad and deflected into the net, that's a really bad bounce. But it's not impossible.

And I agree that if Jenner says he didn't touch it, I would take him at his word.
They showed a replay from a different angle and lower to the ice from the other side of Boone. In that replay you could clearly see it didn't touch Jenner's stick and would've hit Bob's glove. I think that the only showed that replay once though. The illusion created by the view they mostly show looks like it hits Jenner. It was KJ's goal.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Seems like we're playing best with Tarasov in net. Good bounce back after Friday.

Yep. The whole team in front of the goalie always plays better when the goalie plays better. Lots of people get it exactly backwards, making excuses for the goalie when they play like sh*t.
This is regardless of who is in net. Remember like two weeks ago when Korpi came in for Elvis who’s been sucking and played well? We thought the same thing then. “Look how much better we play with Korpi.”

Then Korpi had some weak games and now Korpi is Elvis and Tarasov is Korpi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad