Post-Game Talk: Game #18: Canucks "slug" the Sharks 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanevian*

archibald had a shift in the 3rd where his line was trapped in their zone and he had several chances to clear it out. saying they've played very good in their own end is hyperbole

Nobody is good in their own end with this type of scrutiny.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
No super strong defensively? No he is incredibly weak defensively. One of the worst forwards in the league. He will have to work extremely hard in that area just to become average. Last time I checked successful teams don't have that kind of defensively inept player in the top 6. And certainly not a center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Hodgson

He was voted the smartest player three years in a row by coaches for the OHL Eastern Conference.

The annual OHL coaches poll distinguished Hodgson as the smartest player (for the second consecutive season), the hardest worker, the best on faceoffs and the best penalty killer.

That doesn't sound like someone who is incredibly weak to me. Now success in the OHL doesn't mean success in the NHL, but I don't think he is one of the worst in the league as you say he is. And he is in his early 20's, still got lots of time to learn and grow.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
re-read what I was replying to. the poster said he played very well defensively , well that doesn't happen when you get locked down in your zone like that.

Even Lidstrom got scored on every now and then. You can play good defensively for a game, even if on 1 shift you got outworked.

With that said, I don't remember a great defensive game by him, but if I don't notice the defensive play, that means probably no mistakes were made, right?

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Hodgson

He was voted the smartest player three years in a row by coaches for the OHL Eastern Conference.

That doesn't sound like someone who is incredibly weak to me. Now success in the OHL doesn't mean success in the NHL, but I don't think he is one of the worst in the league as you say he is. And he is in his early 20's, still got lots of time to learn and grow.

Go look at the stats in the NHL. His (lack of) defense was/is talked about often.

Here let me Google that for you:

What should the Sabres do with Cody Hodgson?
Stats, Video Show Hodgson's Defense Hasn't Improved
Turn at center stage shows Ennis, Hodgson still need work
If it makes you feel any better, Cody Hodgson is still bad at defence
(Those are the article titles. Not me taking jabs.)

Fairweather

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Go look at the stats in the NHL. His (lack of) defense was/is talked about often.

Here let me Google that for you:

What should the Sabres do with Cody Hodgson?
Stats, Video Show Hodgson's Defense Hasn't Improved
Turn at center stage shows Ennis, Hodgson still need work
If it makes you feel any better, Cody Hodgson is still bad at defence
(Those are the article titles. Not me taking jabs.)

Whoa, I hadn't followed up on Hodgson but those are pretty bleak sounding.

Tanevian*

re-read what I was replying to. the poster said he played very well defensively , well that doesn't happen when you get locked down in your zone like that.

You can play well defensively and have a bad shift, much like you can play well offensively but miss the net on a breakaway.

This just sounds like a semantics battle between a chronic pessimist and drunk guy.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

OHL ain't the NHL. He is without a doubt a very intelligent offensive player. Defensively he hasn't shown much at the NHL level yet.

All you need do is tune into pretty much any Sabres game and watch. Or you can look at the stats and what not so nicely linked by Upoil.

Last edited:

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
Cody Hodgson has a great offensive talent.

Torts would have stapled him to the pressbox by now if he was a Canuck. His defensive play at the OHL level hasn't translated to the NHL. It's not about winning the trade, it's about a player's skill set not fitting in with the team's or coach's requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad