Pre-Game Talk: GAME 18 7:11 PM - THE BEAR goes hunting in the Everglades - TNT, MAX, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1700628826227.png

1700628915475.png

1700628739843.png
1700628967930.png
1700629082093.png

Brendan Burke, Darren Pang & Jackie Redmond​
Wayne Gretzky, Paul Bissonnette, Anson Carter & Liam McHugh​
Tonight's Officials​
1700629520576.png
1700629551754.png
Referees Peter MacDougall (38), TJ Luxmore (21)​
Linespersons Kilian McNamara (93), Jonny Murray (95)​
1700629698386.png
TONIGHT’S GAME -The Bruins visit the Panthers tonight in the second of four games between these teams this season and the frst of two games at Amerant Bank Arena this year ... The Bruins are 13-1-3 overall this season and they are 6-1-2 on the road ... They are 6-1-2 in games vs. Eastern Conference teams this season. -The Bruins close their two-game road trip tonight in Florida (0-0-1) ... They will next return home to host Detroit on 11/24.​
MILESTONES APPROACHING - Jim Montgomery is coaching his 100th game behind the Bruins bench tonight (78-13-8) ... He has the team’s all-time win percentage at .828. - James van Riemsdyk is 1 assist shy of his 300th NHL assist. - Charlie McAvoy is 1 assist short of his 200th NHL assist. - Kevin Shattenkirk is 3 goals short of his 100th NHL goal. - Pavel Zacha is 3 goals shy of his 100th NHL goal. - Jeremy Swayman is 3 games short of his 100th NHL game. - Brandon Carlo is 5 games shy of his 500th NHL game. - Derek Forbort is 7 points short of his 100th NHL point. - Charlie McAvoy is 7 games short of his 400th NHL game. - Matt Grzelcyk is 9 games shy of his 400th NHL game.​
INJURIES (34 man-games lost) - Morgan Geekie: Upper body IR - Matt Grzelcyk: Upper body IR​
BOSTON vs FLORIDA LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Panthers are meeting for the 112th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 61-37-6-7 record and a 326-284 scoring edge in those games. - The Bruins are 30-19-2-3 at Florida with a 154-151 scoring edge in those 54 contests.​

The Florida Panthers, who will go for their third straight win when they play host to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night, are getting an unexpected contribution from defenseman Niko Mikkola.

In Monday's 5-3 win over visiting Edmonton, Mikkola matched Oilers superstar Connor McDavid's two goals, including Mikkola's tying goal in the third period.

A 27-year-old native of Finland, Mikkola played with the St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers before becoming a free agent last summer. July 1, the Panthers signed Mikkola to a three-year, $7.8 million contract.

"He fits us," Panthers coach Paul Maurice said. "He competes on every shift. He closes gaps. He battles. He's physical."

Maurice said that "when the puck is going north and south," Mikkola gets involved in the rush.

Indeed, in just 18 games this season, Mikkola - who made his NHL debut in January 2020 - has already matched his career high with three goals.

Mikkola was asked why he has suddenly become more of an offensive threat.

"Maybe it's because my coaches and teammates here trust me to jump into the play anytime I see (an opening)," Mikkola said. "As a team, we always want one defenseman up in the play.

"We get scoring chances that way."

Mikkola's goals were especially welcome Monday, when the Panthers played their first game without center/team captain Aleksander Barkov, who went down Friday due to a knee-on-knee hit. He's listed as day-to-day.

Even without Barkov, the Panthers have offensive stars such as Matthew Tkachuk, who has a team-high 14 assists, and Sam Reinhart, who leads the team in goals (13) and points (25).

But Florida is also loaded with quality defensemen now that Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour have returned from offseason shoulder surgeries. The defense also includes Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Gustav Forsling and Dmitry Kulikov.

Sergei Bobrovsky is Florida's starting goalie (9-4-1, 2.66 goals-against average).

Meanwhile, the Bruins lead the Atlantic in their quest for their second straight division title.

Boston set an NHL record last season with 135 points but suffered an upset by the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs. The Bruins led that series 3-1 before Florida won the next two and then took Game 7 in overtime.

This season, while it's not the type of playoff revenge the Bruins would prefer, Boston beat Florida 3-2 Oct. 30 on Pavel Zacha's overtime goal.

In Boston's most recent game, the Bruins gave up a 3-2 lead midway through the third period, falling 5-4 in overtime at the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.

That game was atypical for Boston as the Bruins have allowed more than two goals just four times this season -- all losses.

"We hold ourselves to a high standard," Bruins center Charlie Coyle said. "Giving up points like that is unacceptable in our dressing room."

The Bruins rotate goalies Jeremy Swayman (7-0-2, 2.09 GAA) and Linus Ullmark (6-1-1, 2.23 GAA).

David Pastrnak leads Boston in goals (12) and assists (17).

The Bruins are fairly healthy except for depth forward Morgan Geekie (upper body), winger Milan Lucic (lower body) and defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (upper body).

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Interesting one to say the least. This is an obvious revenge and statement game for the Bruins. However, I don't think anything has changed positively for the Bruins. Monty is still doing the exact same things on the ice, though mostly being tougher off it. (He was fairly happy with the game in Tampa, which is a bad sign.)
The officials are bad, though it is hard to imagine them being as biased and bad as Furlatt. McDougall again scares me and I do expect it to be very bad.
Sorry Black and gold colored glasses crew, Barkov is probably out, but the prepared and tenacious Panthers take it 4-2 with a couple of pp goals. They will score one off a questionable five on three.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Interesting one to say the least. This is an obvious revenge and statement game for the Bruins. However, I don't think anything has changed positively for the Bruins. Monty is still doing the exact same things on the ice, though mostly being tougher off it. (He was fairly happy with the game in Tampa, which is a bad sign.)
The officials are bad, though it is hard to imagine them being as bad as Furlatt. McDougall again scares me and I do expect it to be very bad.
Sorry Black and gold colored glasses crew, Barkov is probably out, but the prepared and tenacious Panthers take it 4-2 with a couple of pp goals, one off a questionable five on three.
Is the glass ever half full, or close at least?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The officials are bad, though it is hard to imagine them being as bad as Furlatt. McDougall again scares me and I do expect it to be very bad.
Sorry Black and gold colored glasses crew, Barkov is probably out, but the prepared and tenacious Panthers take it 4-2 with a couple of pp goals, one off a questionable five on three.

Always 4-2. You aren't even getting creative anymore. Step up the game Eeyore.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
The officials are bad, though it is hard to imagine them being as biased and bad as Furlatt. McDougall again scares me and I do expect it to be very bad.
Sorry Black and gold colored glasses crew, Barkov is probably out, but the prepared and tenacious Panthers take it 4-2 with a couple of pp goals. They will score one off a questionable five on three.
It's gotten to the point where I just really look forward to these, lol

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Shocking that you are predicting another loss.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just wondering, if some here don't like one particular posters posts, why not just set on ignore? It's their opinion no matter if they're right or wrong. Maybe they're venting, or whatever but polluting threads with responses that dump on someone is no more refreshing than the posts that some here are protesting. It's not like he's attacking you or your opinions. JMO.:deadhorse

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think Florida will come to play tonight and this might be a bad one for the Bruins. When I say this, the Bruins usually have a good game.
I could see that outcome… and while maybe not as easily, could see the opposite.

If Bs take a 1 goal lead late into the third…maybe I’ll go in my music room and jam out and check later.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The B's won every game in Florida last playoffs

There's no reason they can't continue that streak

B's win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad