Post-Game Talk: GAME 17 - Slip Slidin' Away -Lightning 5 BRUINS 4 F/OT

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
The game was indeed entertaining.

Post game Coyle stated giving up points like that is unacceptable. Just like last time they did it. Talk is cheap.

Swayman almost stole two points. Hedman wouldn't let him.

Zacha, McAvoy and Lohrei only minus players. Zacha, despite his goal, was bad. Charlie's defensive play was not good. Lohrei didn't play as much after a couple of gaffes.

If Steen is only going to play 5 minutes, may as well play Brown.

Top line of Marchand-Zacha-Pasta had the most ice time, credited with zero hits. Goose eggs for JVR, Heinen and Poitras also.

Too soft, victims of bad officiating? Still had the lead with under 10 seconds to play. Can only blame themselves.

Tampa is still an elite team.

As usual, Pasta & Marchand are Bruins top scorers. But Zacha & Coyle are 3rd and 4th. Just like number 1 & 2 centers.
I have to say Dennis, we haven't seen eye to eye on the softness of this team but every post you've done in this PGT I agree 100% with. For what it's worth. Well said.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Nope. I noticed them have zero time with the puck and spending 99% of OT in their own end with an inability to track pucks down and clear their zone cleanly. They could have had 90 guys out there the way they looked in OT last night.
Very re
Lauko looks injured still. He’s playing very tentative. I would like to see him sit for a bit.

Zacha may have cost them that game he couldn’t win a faceoff for the life of him.

He was benched. I attended the game last night and he looked a little frustrated on the bench.
For his own protection maybe,every game he is getting rocked lately.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
The game was indeed entertaining.

Post game Coyle stated giving up points like that is unacceptable. Just like last time they did it. Talk is cheap.

Swayman almost stole two points. Hedman wouldn't let him.

Zacha, McAvoy and Lohrei only minus players. Zacha, despite his goal, was bad. Charlie's defensive play was not good. Lohrei didn't play as much after a couple of gaffes.

If Steen is only going to play 5 minutes, may as well play Brown.

Top line of Marchand-Zacha-Pasta had the most ice time, credited with zero hits. Goose eggs for JVR, Heinen and Poitras also.

Too soft, victims of bad officiating? Still had the lead with under 10 seconds to play. Can only blame themselves.

Tampa is still an elite team.

As usual, Pasta & Marchand are Bruins top scorers. But Zacha & Coyle are 3rd and 4th. Just like number 1 & 2 centers.

Yeah there was more bad than good that game. The good was Swayman and the fact we almost won and still got a point out of it despite being thoroughly outplayed.

Lohrei was badly exposed as a rookie. He had no clue how to defend tampa players off the rush and they exploited him all night.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Pretty sure that's two overtimes in a row the Bruins have barely touched the puck or when they have possession they just dump it into the corner.

May as well shut it off at the end of regulation next time.
Down the stretch in regulation it already had that feeling. If I had to guess without looking, they lost the last dozen faceoffs in the game aside from (I think) Marchand's win where he pushed it straight ahead into neutral ice. TB dominated possession in the final act.

Reactions: Spjutmuren

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Nope. I noticed them have zero time with the puck and spending 99% of OT in their own end with an inability to track pucks down and clear their zone cleanly. They could have had 90 guys out there the way they looked in OT last night.

Most OTs.

The team is built for 5v5 not the arcade 3v3 the NHL has put together. Especially without Bergeron/Krejci.

Rolling possession forwards in Zacha and Coyle is not a recipe for OT success.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yea well killing penalties all night will do that.

Reactions: mxcrossb

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wow, who's the clown that wrote that piece of crap?

I actually got it via an HF text group member going off on it

Sportskeeda is a sports news media company based in India. Their writers have zero expertise in hockey and only cover it because the sport has a global profile so its management knows there's a few extra clicks to be had by doing so. Nothing published on the site about the NHL can be taken seriously nor, to be fair, is it intended to be.

Having said that, Zacha undoubtedly had a poor game. The defensive aspect is his weakness and where the shoes of Bergeron and even Krejci are understandably the hardest to fill. He's still learning the various bits and pieces that constitute a true all-round top 6 C in this league, and I don't think we quite know yet just where his ceiling will eventually sit. By the end of this season we'll have our answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spjutmuren

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
The team really needs to work on getting pucks out of their zone.

Just bad decisions every game. Even when they have a few seconds to think about it.

Work on angles and power, Monty. We are getting intercepted because we telegraph and put up lazy low energy tumbling muffins to our own blue line.
This is a consistent problem.

Yup.
It was like that the entire game.
When Chara would get it out he'd use his patented "mile-high flip shot".

Either get it out and don't be overly concerned about the icing call.

Reactions: BBruins and lopey

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yup.
It was like that the entire game.
When Chara would get it out he'd use his patented "mile-high flip shot".

Either get it out and don't be overly concerned about the icing call.
thing is when marchand had it, he couldve iced it because we were still on the kill at the end there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sportskeeda is a sports news media company based in India. Their writers have zero expertise in hockey and only cover it because the sport has a global profile so its management knows there's a few extra clicks to be had by doing so. Nothing published on the site about the NHL can be taken seriously nor, to be fair, is it intended to be.

Having said that, Zacha undoubtedly had a poor game. The defensive aspect is his weakness and where the shoes of Bergeron and even Krejci are understandably the hardest to fill. He's still learning the various bits and pieces that constitute a true all-round top 6 C in this league, and I don't think we quite know yet just where his ceiling will eventually sit. By the end of this season we'll have our answer.
Zacha is evolving and and getting better and better - he and Coyle have been very good

His issue the Ducks game was looking to make a pass to get an open net goal easily corrected - even then it took a weird deflection

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Terrible way to lose. Monty needs to make it a point with the players that ENG are not important to winning. Getting puck out off zone is. I was surprised two vets tried to score at that juncture of the game . They know better
Ok. But show my one team ever that hasn’t lost like this a few times in a season?

Reactions: hrdpuk and lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad