GDT: Game 17: San Jose Sharks Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM | Lets get back to that winning thing.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
That percentage is going to regress IMO. Lot of the PP goals to start the year have been off the rush. It's the same setup as they've had in previous years with guys standing still and no motion. This team is going to have the exact same issue come playoff time it's had forever in being too reliant on the rush.
Fair but I still like this year’s puck movement a lot better. We’ll have to see how it progresses. Swapping Eichel for Pacioretty is a massive improvement to our previous roster in the regard.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That percentage is going to regress IMO. Lot of the PP goals to start the year have been off the rush. It's the same setup as they've had in previous years with guys standing still and no motion. This team is going to have the exact same issue come playoff time it's had forever in being too reliant on the rush.

I don't think you're totally wrong but having healthy Eichel alone will help it be a little better than years past, and Stone and Roy are attempting to be big bodies in front of the net now.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't think you're totally wrong but having healthy Eichel alone will help it be a little better than years past, and Stone and Roy are attempting to be big bodies in front of the net now.

Roy is the best at it which is a big reason I think he needs to be on the top unit. Stone always ends up in more of the bumper position or off to the side. He's terrible as a net front guy and you want the puck on his stick anyways. I'd swap him and Roy. Let the 2nd unit run through Stone. In the long run they have to find a scorer for the top 9 to play in front of the net a little bit, because we've seen how we flame out relying on the rush too many times now.

If it's me I'd hope St. Louis doesn't claw back in. Get ROR (or Toews) with double retention and then get Sundqviskt from Detroit. That would be a perfect deadline and give 2 guys that will score greasy goals and are reliable defensively. Cotter/Amadio-ROR/Toews-Kessel and Carrier-Roy-Sundqkvist would be lightyears better than any bottom 6 we've ever had.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Cassidy said it was an issue of Sharks wanting it more.

(I also think that VGK wasn't as motivated as the Sharks have been near bottom of standings so far this season.)

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Roy is the best at it which is a big reason I think he needs to be on the top unit. Stone always ends up in more of the bumper position or off to the side. He's terrible as a net front guy and you want the puck on his stick anyways. I'd swap him and Roy. Let the 2nd unit run through Stone. In the long run they have to find a scorer for the top 9 to play in front of the net a little bit, because we've seen how we flame out relying on the rush too many times now.

If it's me I'd hope St. Louis doesn't claw back in. Get ROR (or Toews) with double retention and then get Sundqviskt from Detroit. That would be a perfect deadline and give 2 guys that will score greasy goals and are reliable defensively. Cotter/Amadio-ROR/Toews-Kessel and Carrier-Roy-Sundqkvist would be lightyears better than any bottom 6 we've ever had.

Toews double retained at some point for a 1st to Chicago and 2nd somewhere with cap space seems almost inevitable to me. He's a captain and from Winnipeg, we really need a great third line player and we're all in for right now. McCrimmon won't be able to pass him up.

I think Horvat ends up in Colorado.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021

If we go down the retention route JVR is a better bet. O’Reilly is way out of our price range.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
If we go down the retention route JVR is a better bet. O’Reilly is way out of our price range.
I'm not sure ROR will be way out of our price range. There's only going to be so many teams willing to move 1sts for rentals and Kane and Horvat will be the prized pieces. I think a late 1st + a B prospect like Dean will be enough to entice St. Louis if they aren't in the race.

JVR would be a good add but I think it needs to be a center based on the current roster construction. JVR also can't seem to stay healthy.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Toews double retained at some point for a 1st to Chicago and 2nd somewhere with cap space seems almost inevitable to me. He's a captain and from Winnipeg, we really need a great third line player and we're all in for right now. McCrimmon won't be able to pass him up.

I think Horvat ends up in Colorado.

Toews won't fetch a 1st. He's going to be able to just pick his destination I think. Just going to be a matter of being the team he wants to be on. Probably a 2nd to Chicago and a 3rd+5th to the double retention team.

Horvat is for sure out of our price range. Whoever trades for him will want to extend him. I'd have an eye on Boston there. I think us and Colorado would both be in on Toews and O'Reilly.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I'm not sure ROR will be way out of our price range. There's only going to be so many teams willing to move 1sts for rentals and Kane and Horvat will be the prized pieces. I think a late 1st + a B prospect like Dean will be enough to entice St. Louis if they aren't in the race.

JVR would be a good add but I think it needs to be a center based on the current roster construction. JVR also can't seem to stay healthy.
I could be wrong but I’m not sure why a team would value Horvat more than O’Reilly even at his age and cap hit. With the exception of these first 10 games O’Reilly has always been much better. If a winger could replace Stephenson we could move him back to center, obviously JVR isn’t that guy though.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I could be wrong but I’m not sure why a team would value Horvat more than O’Reilly even at his age and cap hit. With the exception of these first 10 games O’Reilly has always been much better. If a winger could replace Stephenson we could move him back to center, obviously JVR isn’t that guy though.
Why would the Blues be so anxious to move ROR?? They're a very solid team. If they decide to move anyone, I would think Tarasenko would be more likely, and we have no use for him at his cap hit.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Why would the Blues be so anxious to move ROR?? They're a very solid team. If they decide to move anyone, I would think Tarasenko would be more likely, and we have no use for him at his cap hit.
They shouldn’t? I agree which is one reason why I think his value is far too high.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

If they aren't in the playoff picture at deadline time they're going to move both probably. Both are going to be UFA's and they don't have cap space to sign them. They currently have over 70m committed next year to 13 players.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
If they aren't in the playoff picture at deadline time they're going to move both probably. Both are going to be UFA's and they don't have cap space to sign them. They currently have over 70m committed next year to 13 players.
True but I think they're far more likely to be in the playoff picture than either the Preds or the Wild, not to mention Yotes or Hawks. Obviously it's early, but I see Blues, Avs and Stars in Central, plus a possible wild card. And if they'll move on from one of the two, it's far more likely to be Tarasenko.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I am seeing great motion and puck movement once they are able to get in cycle. The weakness I see is in zone entry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad