Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

jarr92

May 7, 2013
And what has Bourque done in the NHL? Nothing. Entirely possible he's a bust. Probably the most likely outcome at this point tbh.
Define bust? He led the AHL in points in the regular season and is leading in the playoffs as a 22 year old, and was picked #30 so not exactly a super high draft choice. I'd bet he's in the NHL next season.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Define bust? He led the AHL in points in the regular season and is leading in the playoffs as a 22 year old, and was picked #30 so not exactly a super high draft choice. I'd bet he's in the NHL next season.
Bust = doesn't make it to 200 NHL games. He's 5'10" and not a good skater. Those guys have a tendency to dominate the AHL but top out as AAAA players. I wouldn't have been thrilled about acquiring him as the centerpiece of a Hertl trade, for example (knowing we could have gotten Edstrom).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
FWIW Sabres fans on the main board seem amenable to 14+Sturm for 11. If do that if Yakemchuk (or any of the D) were there and then just re-sign Carpenter. I really like Sturm and I love how competitive he is, but if we can use him to get our guy I’m all for it.
Nico Sturm?????

We traded 11 for 27, 34, and 45, and I thought we did pretty well. I liked Mateychuk and Nazar, but thought we got good value. Given that, 14, 33, 42 should be decently close to 6 to 8. Maybe it requires 14+42 to 10/11 and 10/11+33 gets you 6-8. Of course you need a willing dance partner. Someone who wants a big forward if Iginla and Lindstrom are off the board maybe? At that point do they just got Sennecke rather than risking dropping to 14 and risking 5'11 Eiserman as BPA?

What would it take for one of the 6 D to fall to us? Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, and Helenius all getting drafted top 13? The first four seem quite likely, two of the next four seem quite likely as well. Not sure about all eight, and at point if they did, I would wonder if someone passed on the sixth dman for a reason.
I think moving to just outside the top ten takes less than moving into the top, say 8.

Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
FWIW Sabres fans on the main board seem amenable to 14+Sturm for 11. If do that if Yakemchuk (or any of the D) were there and then just re-sign Carpenter. I really like Sturm and I love how competitive he is, but if we can use him to get our guy I’m all for it.

Saw that post and thought that could be a decent fit, though wasn't sure Sturm was good enough even for a 3 spot jump. About the value I'd want for Sturm, too.

Feels like there is a clear top 4 forwards and top 6 D, so maybe it means we get our 5th best forward, but that's a pretty great outcome too. It also puts us in a great place to move up further. While 7-15 seem to be about the same level of prospect, easier to move up from the middle of a tier.

It also makes it much easier to say 'we're drafting a d-man at 7/8/9, you seem like you want a forward, 2-3 of the top remaining guys are D. Open to grabbing a pick to to take one of Catton/Nyggard/Sennecke/Henelius/Eiserman who you were deciding between anyway.

Speaking let's say the top 6 D, Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla were off the board, who would be your preferred choice for the Sharks? Generally, I always opt for skill over size when it comes to forwards but with Smith, Eklund, and Celebrini, another winger with size in addition to Musty would be good.

Not limited to Jux, curious on everyone's perspective! Regardless of a trade-up for 11, I do think there's a glut of forwards who'll go between 10-15, curious on everyone's ranking of them.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Personally I wouldn't trade Sturm just to move up 3 spots. Sturm is an ideal 4C for at least the next 4-5 years which should include seasons in which we're competitive. Sturm and Kunin give us 2/3rds of a great 4th line and both are capable of moving up in case of injuries.

We can reasonably count on Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Zetterlund, Sturm and Kunin comprising half of our long term forward group. I wouldn't move any of these guys unless it's for an overpayment.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Nico Sturm?????

I think moving to just outside the top ten takes less than moving into the top, say 8.

Fair, hard to project. Trade charts are a long way from ideal as well, given it's impossible to project the difference in year to year tiers of players.

That said, moving up 14 is a far, far better starting place than 27. Was surprised to see our 2nds were both better as well. I could see every team in the top 10 loving their guy. Outside of Celebrini, every player in this draft has flaws, but those six d-men are really exciting.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Personally I wouldn't trade Sturm just to move up 3 spots. Sturm is an ideal 4C for at least the next 4-5 years which should include seasons in which we're competitive. Sturm and Kunin give us 2/3rds of a great 4th line and both are capable of moving up in case of injuries.

We can reasonably count on Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Zetterlund, Sturm and Kunin comprising half of our long term forward group. I wouldn't move any of these guys unless it's for an overpayment.

Given some of his comments, I'm not sure Sturm has much desire to stay in a rebuilding team. Even with Celebrini, Smith, a healthy but not great Couture, and 2-3 quality acquisitions, I'm guessing we're bottom 3-5 with Utah, Chicago, Columbus, Montreal and maybe Calgary again next year. I think Sturm will be ready to move on out at that point (or may ask out at the deadline, someone will want him). Celebrini and Smith are quite a carrot for sticking around, but how long before Sturm sees the return?

It seems odd to me to have a 4-5 year plan for our 4th line when we may not have a top 4 d-man in the organization. Now, I'm not saying Parekh, Yakemchuk, or Even Buium are sure-fire top 4 d-men, but they're decent bets.

I will say having Granlund and Sturm as your #1 and #4 center isn't the worst insulation in the world for the two kids.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Saw that post and thought that could be a decent fit, though wasn't sure Sturm was good enough even for a 3 spot jump. About the value I'd want for Sturm, too.

Feels like there is a clear top 4 forwards and top 6 D, so maybe it means we get our 5th best forward, but that's a pretty great outcome too. It also puts us in a great place to move up further. While 7-15 seem to be about the same level of prospect, easier to move up from the middle of a tier.

It also makes it much easier to say 'we're drafting a d-man at 7/8/9, you seem like you want a forward, 2-3 of the top remaining guys are D. Open to grabbing a pick to to take one of Catton/Nyggard/Sennecke/Henelius/Eiserman who you were deciding between anyway.

Speaking let's say the top 6 D, Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla were off the board, who would be your preferred choice for the Sharks? Generally, I always opt for skill over size when it comes to forwards but with Smith, Eklund, and Celebrini, another winger with size in addition to Musty would be good.

Not limited to Jux, curious on everyone's perspective! Regardless of a trade-up for 11, I do think there's a glut of forwards who'll go between 10-15, curious on everyone's ranking of them.
Hard to say—Catton is the best player amongst that group and I’d take him though he isn’t the best fit for the Sharks. If he continues on his trajectory and you’re still lacking size/defense in a year or two, then you flip him for a defenseman if necessary. Helenius is probably the next best but similar to Catton isn’t really an optimal addition to the Sharks.

At the end of the day, if we can’t trade up for a D, I’d just stay where we are at 14 and pick the best winger that falls to us. Any of those forwards would either be objectively excellent value at 14 (Catton/Helenius), a reasonable home run swing (Eiserman), or an excellent organizational fit (MBN/Sennecke both big RWs).

Personally, I don’t have Iginla quite in the forward tier with Demidov/Lindstrom and see him closer to the group of five forwards you listed, though I think I’d like him the best of that tier. I think my personal Sharks-centric ranking will have six D in the top-9 at the end of the day.

I love Sturm, but his contract is up in a year and I don’t see him wanting to stay on a non-competitive team. Guy wants to win, he has competitive fire, and the Sharks probably won’t be good enough to convince him to stick around.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Given some of his comments, I'm not sure Sturm has much desire to stay in a rebuilding team. Even with Celebrini, Smith, a healthy but not great Couture, and 2-3 quality acquisitions, I'm guessing we're bottom 3-5 with Utah, Chicago, Columbus, Montreal and maybe Calgary again next year. I think Sturm will be ready to move on out at that point (or may ask out at the deadline, someone will want him). Celebrini and Smith are quite a carrot for sticking around, but how long before Sturm sees the return?

It seems odd to me to have a 4-5 year plan for our 4th line when we may not have a top 4 d-man in the organization. Now, I'm not saying Parekh, Yakemchuk, or Even Buium are sure-fire top 4 d-men, but they're decent bets.

I will say having Granlund and Sturm as your #1 and #4 center isn't the worst insulation in the world for the two kids.
Yeah if he doesn't want to extend with us we have no choice but to trade him but I would hope Sturm could be sold on sticking around as an alternate captain on what should be a team on the rise. We can afford to pay him more than anyone else too. 3.5Mx4 or something like that.

The 4th line is important and realistically Sturm and Kunin will be much more than 4th liners for at least the next few seasons. Me calling them 4th liners is more aspirational that someone like Bystedt or Edstrom or Musty will emerge and knock them down the lineup.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think MG will be ready with 14+33+42 when the players start getting drafted after us. I think around 7-9 spots he'll start making offers if defencemen don't get drafted as projected. I think every year there is couple wtf picks in the top 10, so maybe we get lucky.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think MG will be ready with 14+33+42 when the players start getting drafted after us. I think around 7-9 spots he'll start making offers if defencemen don't get drafted as projected. I think every year there is couple wtf picks in the top 10, so maybe we get lucky.
I would almost be more tempted to trade up if a forward like Lindstrom or Iginla falls just to take our forward prospect pool into laughably stacked territory. We should be able to land the best defenseman in the draft next year.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Though Jux has a far greater read on this draft and prospects in general than I do, I agree with her with the limited amount of viewing and research I’ve done regarding Catton being the BPA. My dream scenario is trading up for Dickinson if he falls to 8 or 9.

If we keep the pick, I’d be tempted to go Eiserman if he fell. He has his warts but there’s something about the thought of Eklund and Celebrini setting him up on the PP for years to come that’s just too good to pass up. It would be similar to what TB had with Stamkos and ATL/NJ had with Kovalchuk all those years; an elite trigger man. If he rounds out his game then he’s the steal of the draft.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

If couture is healthy (big if) then we have Granlund, Mack, Logan, smith and Sturm all able to play C.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the priority of the organization at this stage is to get a #1 defenseman. If you look at the eight remaining playoff teams, five of them drafted their top playing d-man of the regular season with a 1st round pick including McAvoy at 14. The other three traded non-1st round draft picks for them. If the team feels like any of the top six blue liners has that in them, I don't mind moving what you need to so that you grab him. I also wouldn't mind moving that for a player if it makes sense but I just don't see that being available. I'd be happy with any of Buium, Levshunov, Parekh, or Yakemchuk. I'd only be okay with Jiricek if it also got us another pick because we moved back.

I'm hoping for a lot of action at the draft and a lot of roster moves this summer. There's no reason to be conservative with roster moves at this stage. The only roster guys worth hanging on to right now are Eklund and Zetterlund. Everyone else is movable in some way or another. Granlund would be difficult to move for the sake of Eklund and Zetterlund but as a rental with no retention slots, the offseason is probably the time we'll see the most action on him there. The deadline will involve other teams that will take value away from us in the process. But I only see Granlund's return being a 2nd from a playoff team so you can take it or leave it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think the priority of the organization at this stage is to get a #1 defenseman. If you look at the eight remaining playoff teams, five of them drafted their top playing d-man of the regular season with a 1st round pick including McAvoy at 14. The other three traded non-1st round draft picks for them. If the team feels like any of the top six blue liners has that in them, I don't mind moving what you need to so that you grab him. I also wouldn't mind moving that for a player if it makes sense but I just don't see that being available. I'd be happy with any of Buium, Levshunov, Parekh, or Yakemchuk. I'd only be okay with Jiricek if it also got us another pick because we moved back.

I'm hoping for a lot of action at the draft and a lot of roster moves this summer. There's no reason to be conservative with roster moves at this stage. The only roster guys worth hanging on to right now are Eklund and Zetterlund. Everyone else is movable in some way or another. Granlund would be difficult to move for the sake of Eklund and Zetterlund but as a rental with no retention slots, the offseason is probably the time we'll see the most action on him there. The deadline will involve other teams that will take value away from us in the process. But I only see Granlund's return being a 2nd from a playoff team so you can take it or leave it.

I agree on the priority but I also think that if a Catton or whoever falls to us, he can be used as a trade chip for a young defenseman later on. But I agree that I’d do everything I can to get Buium or Parekh or that level guy here ASAP.

insofar as Granlund, I only trade him for a 1st. With Couture injured and Granlund being a fantastic mentor, I’d rather he stay here. I think he’d be a really huge help to Will Smith.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think we can officially stop considering Bordeleau and Gushchin prospects. They're not serious considerations for our future lineup. Zetterlund is not undersized.

If Catton turns out to be really good maybe we can trade Eklund for a defenseman. Or Catton for a defenseman. I just disagree with the idea that we need to build through the draft. The point of the draft is to maximize value accumulation then use that pool of value to fill specific roles on your NHL roster.

I’m not sure it’s quite as official as you say. I think it’s likely one of them is gone, having both doesn’t make a ton of sense, but I think it’s still worthwhile to see what they can do next year in the NHL. Gushchin has done nothing but improve every year - I want to see what he can do. Bordeleau is showing improvement and if he can keep it up, might become a pretty solid 3rd line scoring center.

We have have talent coming in but surely not enough that we should not qualify these guys/see how they do next year before giving up on them.

That said I’ll package Bordeleau and the 14th pick to get Buium every day of the week.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I’m not sure it’s quite as official as you say. I think it’s likely one of them is gone, having both doesn’t make a ton of sense, but I think it’s still worthwhile to see what they can do next year in the NHL. Gushchin has done nothing but improve every year - I want to see what he can do. Bordeleau is showing improvement and if he can keep it up, might become a pretty solid 3rd line scoring center.

We have have talent coming in but surely not enough that we should not qualify these guys/see how they do next year before giving up on them.

That said I’ll package Bordeleau and the 14th pick to get Buium every day of the week.
Nah, we can and should do way better than those guys on the NHL roster. I don't give a shit that they were drafted by the Sharks. Time to finish flushing out the DWJr crap.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Wait, you don’t like DWJr?
Yes, and it's a mystery why...

DWJR.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad