GDT: Game 16 - Pittsburgh Penguins @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, November 19th, 2022 - 6:00pm CST - SN360/CITY/SNW - CJOB/POWER97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight, the 10-4-1 Winnipeg Jets take on the 7-7-3 Pittsburgh Penguins in a battle on Hockey Night in Canada. Kyle Connor scored a hat-trick in the Jets 3-2 victory over the Anaheim Ducks, while Sidney Crosby scored two goals and added two helpers in the Penguins 6-4 win over the Minnesota Wild in their last game.

When you think about Pittsburgh, the Steelers, Pirates, Mario Lemieux and Heinz Ketchup probably come to mind, but did you know there are other fascinating facts about the “Steel City” that you may not know about...

pittsburgh-steel-city-bryan-brunsell.jpg

Pittsburgh’s name spelling has changed many times. The “h” on the end of Pittsburgh was actually left off, added, taken off again, and added back...

Pittsburg-Honus-Wagner.jpg

Pittsburgh is known as the “City of Bridges” because it has 446 bridges which is more than Venice, Italy, or any other city in the world...

pnc-park-convention-ctr.jpg

The emoticon was invented in Pittsburgh in 1980 by Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist Scott Fahlman...

AP070917022512.jpg

The Polio vaccine was created by Dr. Jonas Salk in Pittsburgh in 1950...

8-things-you-may-not-know-about-jonas-salk-and-the-polio-vaccines-featured-photo.jpg

Pittsburgh’s Beechview neighborhood is home to the steepest street in the United States (and possibly the world): Canton Avenue. It is as steep as 37 degrees...

4ess45kasognvahusl5vww.jpg

Are you in the mood for two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, and a sesame seed bun? You’re in good company. Jim Delligatti, a McDonald’s franchise owner, invented the beloved Big Mac in Pittsburgh. He started selling his creation in his 47 McDonald’s restaurants in Pittsburgh until McDonald’s got on board with his idea. Delligatti also helped develop the hotcakes and sausage breakfast meal to feed hungry Pittsburgh steelworkers on their way home from overnight shifts...

DSC04131-600px-600x338.jpg

In May 1918, the country of Czechoslovakia was created in Pittsburgh when the Czechs and the Slovaks signed the Pittsburgh Agreement...

Pittsburgh_Agreement_Creates_Czechoslovakia_1918_Plaque_in_2004.jpg

World War II had a profound effect on professional football in Pittsburgh. During the 1943-44 season, the Steelers and Eagles combined teams and formed the “Steagles”. Their record? 5 wins, 4 losses and 1 tie. It was the FIRST winning season for the Eagles, and the SECOND for the Steelers. I wonder if Milt played for them...:dunno:

Steagles-Football.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers logo has stars, right? Not really. They are actually called “hypocycloids”. The logo is actually a derivative of the U.S. Steel Logo...

steelers-steel-logo.png

Let's leave the Penguins beheinz and keep scoring so they can't ketchup! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 41 Fun Facts About Pittsburgh You Weren't Taught in School, 35 Facts About Pittsburgh You Weren't Taught in School | Pittsburgh Beautiful, and 15 Surprising Facts About Pittsburgh

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I cannot stand playing against Sid , he seems to always get away with something when we play him whether goalie interference or a questionable hit….still an awesome player.
I hope we can finally beat these guys it’s very much a rarity.
GJG

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
My oldest kid lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years... lived close to Pitt campus - > great place, the parental units visited her many times. The vibe in "dawntawn" Pitt is cool, friendly, much like a gigantic Winnipeg, with more bridges. Fun fact: All of the old steel producing industrial portions of the city have converted to upscale urban housing.

Despite this and in my travels, I spent many an hour naturalizing near the three rivers but have failed to spot an errant penguin. :D

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

tumblr_inline_ofl90iw2xa1rjt4rf_250.gifv

What's he that wishes so?
My nemesis Lord Crosby? No, my fair fellow fans:
If we are mark'd for pucks, we are enow
To mark thy Pittsburgh loss; and if to live,
The fewer forwards, the greater share of honour.
Bone's will! I pray thee, wish not one injury more.
By Hoosli, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth chug beer upon my cost;
It yearns me not if my mates my Reverse Retro jerseys wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet a win over Pitt,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my HF horde, wish not a soul from Winnipeg:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one more Helle-borne shutout, methinks, would bequeath to we
For the best hope I have. O, to wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Jetted friends, through my host,
That they which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let them depart; their passport shall be made
And crowns for Goose Island put into his purse:
We would not die in that person's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of St. Peggians:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of the Pegger.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Thanks for the GDT @macmaroon !

Now that the Jets have shaken off the rust from their layoff it's time to get to work.

They'll need a much better effort against the Penguns.

aN3.gif
I'm not usually a fan of fake fighting, but this is well done. The girl in blue is preparing for her back flip before the foot comes up to her face, but otherwise this is beautifully choreographed.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Only the City of Winnipeg would be stupid enough to host the Santa Clause parade on the same day as an early start NHL game. Good luck finding parking or just getting into the general area. They could have held the parade next Saturday no problem.
That would shave a week off the hyped-up gotta buy for Christmas season. The merchants who sponsor the parade want it staged before Black Friday.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

tumblr_inline_ofl90iw2xa1rjt4rf_250.gifv

What's he that wishes so?
My nemesis Lord Crosby? No, my fair fellow fans:
If we are mark'd for pucks, we are enow
To mark thy Pittsburgh loss; and if to live,
The fewer forwards, the greater share of honour.
Bone's will! I pray thee, wish not one injury more.
By Hoosli, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth chug beer upon my cost;
It yearns me not if my mates my Reverse Retro jerseys wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet a win over Pitt,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my HF horde, wish not a soul from Winnipeg:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one more Helle-borne shutout, methinks, would bequeath to we
For the best hope I have. O, to wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Jetted friends, through my host,
That they which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let them depart; their passport shall be made
And crowns for Goose Island put into his purse:
We would not die in that person's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of St. Peggians:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of the Pegger.
This is foxing BRILLIANT!

May I have your permission to share this with my fb friends? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad