GDT: Game 16: Blue Jackets @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Every team has injuries and every team got better on the PP/PK whatever. Its all relative to other teams as to how you rank, we are better. Disagree that it needs to be better to make the playoffs, we are in the middle third, not great but not as bad as you think. I think our PK needs to be better to make the playoffs, but it will be with Richie/Demers/Hammer coming back. PP just takes time and adjustments, I see it getting better but not top 5.
You have your opinion, and I have mine. If our PP was so good RT wouldn't be juggling lines every two games trying to find an answer. I think our PP sucks, just like Stepan, they go hand in hand.;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You have your opinion, and I have mine. If our PP was so good RT wouldn't be juggling lines every two games trying to find an answer. I think our PP sucks, just like Stepan, they go hand in hand.;)

Both Cobra and I have pointed out the PP could still use improvement. It’s just no longer the dregs of the universe that you keep opining about.

Reactions: cobra427

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Nobody is saying Hayton will be the fix on the PP, and I don't think you will burden Hayton if you put him on PP1 or PP2. He has the talent and should be there.
Would be nothing wrong with giving him a look. Appears he's not in tonight - I agree with that, even if it does seems to go against the idea of giving him that look.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would be nothing wrong with giving him a look. Appears he's not in tonight - I agree with that, even if it does seems to go against the idea of giving him that look.
He had a rough last game, so I understand to an extent why he is sitting, but I would have sat Fischer instead.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Both Cobra and I have pointed out the PP could still use improvement. It’s just no longer the dregs of the universe that you keep opining about.
Our PP has been held scoreless 10 out of the 16 games we have played. We have scored 9 PP goals with 5 coming in two games, and that is the reason we jumped to #6 in PP standing, but have sunk faster than the Titantic since then. Hell, our PK gets more chances than our PP. I hope, no, I pray they can pick it up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Our PP has been held scoreless 10 out of the 16 games we have played. We have scored 9 PP goals with 5 coming in two games, and that is the reason we jumped to #6 in PP standing, but have sunk faster than the Titantic since then. Hell, our PK gets more chances than our PP. I hope, no, I pray they can pick it up.

I won’t vouch for how Cobra measures it but I use the eye test Jakey. All you’re saying is that it’s inconsistent. Last year it was consistently horrible.... all..... year..... long.

Puck movement is the biggest problem. Everyone holds onto the puck too long looking to make that perfect pass.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Weren't you saying awhile back that you loved this team, and saw us a a contender, and now you are talking about burning it to the ground in the next 3 or 4 games if we don't win?

Again, reading comprehension.

We are definitely a contender. We have had some bad games. We have not had the type of game where people can say that we need to reconfigure everything (the burn it down game). However, if we continue to trend worse and worse, we may need to reevaluate.

We are scoring, but not always maintaining the leads that we have built up. Still doesn't mean we burn it down, but this is a concern going forward that needs to get fixed. Still a playoff caliber team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Again, reading comprehension.

We are definitely a contender. We have had some bad games. We have not had the type of game where people can say that we need to reconfigure everything (the burn it down game). However, if we continue to trend worse and worse, we may need to reevaluate.

We are scoring, but not always maintaining the leads that we have built up. Still doesn't mean we burn it down, but this is a concern going forward that needs to get fixed. Still a playoff caliber team.
How is it reading comprehension when I asked you a question? If our special teams stay in the bottom third of the league we will not make the playoffs, let alone be a contender. We are so far away from a contender it's not even funny. I know they say anything can happen if you get into the playoffs, but we are so soft I doubt we win a series.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I won’t vouch for how Cobra measures it but I use the eye test Jakey. All you’re saying is that it’s inconsistent. Last year it was consistently horrible.... all..... year..... long.

Puck movement is the biggest problem. Everyone holds onto the puck too long looking to make that perfect pass.
Ok, it's inconsistently horrible. Puck movement was one of the problems last year as well. We added Kessel and Soda, and we still don't move the puck on the PP. Why? Last year we used injuries as an excuse. What is it this year?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ok, it's inconsistently horrible. Puck movement was one of the problems last year as well. We added Kessel and Soda, and we still don't move the puck on the PP. Why? Last year we used injuries as an excuse. What is it this year?

“We” never used injuries as an excuse for our PP. The fact we did as well as we did with all the injuries we had should be to our credit

You keep contradicting yourself just for the sake of arguing an extreme position that doesn’t exist. But just keep on flogging.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
How is it reading comprehension when I asked you a question? If our special teams stay in the bottom third of the league we will not make the playoffs, let alone be a contender. We are so far away from a contender it's not even funny. I know they say anything can happen if you get into the playoffs, but we are so soft I doubt we win a series.

It's the same principle that was heard before, such as how we would never make playoffs without a #1 C. Our PP% in the Tip years was best when we didn't make the playoffs.

85% of the game is even strength, but yes special teams can disrupt that. We have been taking more penalties recently, so that is a big part of the fix.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
“We” never used injuries as an excuse for our PP. The fact we did as well as we did with all the injuries we had should be to our credit

You keep contradicting yourself just for the sake of arguing an extreme position that doesn’t exist. But just keep on flogging.
Our PP was 26th overall last year. I was harping all year last year about Stepan, Fischer and Panik always on the PP, and all I heard we had no one else better because of all the injuries. As usual, you only hear what you want to hear.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's the same principle that was heard before, such as how we would never make playoffs without a #1 C. Our PP% in the Tip years was best when we didn't make the playoffs.

85% of the game is even strength, but yes special teams can disrupt that. We have been taking more penalties recently, so that is a big part of the fix.
It's so hard to win in this league because of parity so special teams have become more important than ever. Most of our PP problems were covered up by our great PK, but now because of injuries our PK is looking below average, our PP problems are magnified. Some teams because of superior talent can score 5 on 5 consistently so their PP or PK may not be as important, but for us, special teams are even more important. I can't understand how our PP is so inept. In three years under RT, who has more talent than years past, our PP has not been good.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Our PP was 26th overall last year. I was harping all year last year about Stepan, Fischer and Panik always on the PP, and all I heard we had no one else better because of all the injuries. As usual, you only hear what you want to hear.

What I hear right now is a lot of squawking from you without much substance.

You’re either all giddy over how great someone is at one moment, or screaming how the same person totally sucks the moment they don’t meet your expectations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You’re either all giddy over how great someone is at one moment, or screaming how the same person totally sucks the moment they don’t meet your expectations.
If a player plays to their capabilities, great, and if they don't I will voice my opinion, whether you agree with it or not, I really don't care.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

This is a good point, more penalties lately, and why is that? Our team D has breakdowns because somebody is behind the play or has to try and help somebody else. We are chasing too much on D, that is the problem, I see it the last 3 or 4 games. Richardson was some help in this regard, and this is why Stepan gets TOI, and partly why Hayton sat. Fischer/Hino/Crouse are better on D than Hayton.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You keep blaming Stepan partly. remember he was banished from Keller/kessel, has n't helped them a bit. Maybe Stepan isn't the problem on the PP. I think Keller/Kessel/OEL needd to step up on the PP. Its not as bad as you think and it won't be as good as everyone wants it to be no matter who Tocc plays.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017

To be fair that's pretty much everybody on this forum at one time or another. Being a fan of this team is very stressful and bi-polar inducing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Look in the mirror.

A player is capable of both good and bad, even on the same shift or play. We have discussions because there are details to talk about and because hockey (like the world) is not binary; things are not only 'great' or the player 'sucks.'

Derek Stepan, for example, has recommitted to hockey and as a result he is seeing harder usage. He has skated, and generally worked hard, but he has not finished at the level expected of him or he is capable of. On the whole, he has not played to his salary, his leadership role, the opportunities given to him, or probably even his own personal expectations. You could say he sucks and be more right than wrong, but that would be ignoring some of the positives that don't show up on a stat line.

He is neither great nor is he useless. We can talk about his bad play, even in a game where he scores the OT winner, because we are not children with the attention span of a goldfish.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Look in the mirror.

A player is capable of both good and bad, even on the same shift or play. We have discussions because there are details to talk about and because hockey (like the world) is not binary; things are not only 'great' or the player 'sucks.'

Derek Stepan, for example, has recommitted to hockey and as a result he is seeing harder usage. He has skated, and generally worked hard, but he has not finished at the level expected of him or he is capable of. On the whole, he has not played to his salary, his leadership role, the opportunities given to him, or probably even his own personal expectations. You could say he sucks and be more right than wrong, but that would be ignoring some of the positives that don't show up on a stat line.

He is neither great nor is he useless. We can talk about his bad play, even in a game where he scores the OT winner, because we are not children with the attention span of a goldfish.

Speaking of mirrors...

Let’s use Goligoski as an example. He’s our top scoring D-man right now yet you never seem to miss every little mistake he makes in a game (and he does make them), even a few that really weren’t his fault, yet rarely comment on what he does right.

But that’s always subject to differing opinions, correct??

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Speaking of mirrors...

Let’s use Goligoski as an example. He’s our top scoring D-man right now yet you never seem to miss every little mistake he makes in a game (and he does make them), even a few that really weren’t his fault, yet rarely comment on what he does right.

But that’s always subject to differing opinions, correct??

The presence of good does not make the bad completely disappear out of existence. Most people manifest the ability to understand object permanence by the time they are 2. A goal against is a goal against, and if my man Loligoski decides to make a poorly timed appearance, it is what it is. Pointing out a misplay is not a definitive statement about overall play. You may want to lighten up if you are interpreting it as such.

As for his overall play, our dear Goose has a whopping 5 secondary assists at even strength to go along with his 15th best ixG and one iHDCF, despite playing the 2nd most minutes this season. He's pretty far from driving the play. He's merely been alright overall, a thoroughly average middle pairing guy. But I guess all of those stunning positives mean you can't complain when he completely blows his coverage in front of the net. :eyeroll:

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The presence of good does not make the bad completely disappear out of existence. Most people manifest the ability to understand object permanence by the time they are 2. A goal against is a goal against, and if my man Loligoski decides to make a poorly timed appearance, it is what it is. Pointing out a misplay is not a definitive statement about overall play. You may want to lighten up if you are interpreting it as such.

As for his overall play, our dear Goose has a whopping 5 secondary assists at even strength to go along with his 15th best ixG and one iHDCF, despite playing the 2nd most minutes this season. He's pretty far from driving the play. He's merely been alright overall, a thoroughly average middle pairing guy. But I guess all of those stunning positives mean you can't complain when he completely blows his coverage in front of the net. :eyeroll:
Goose has been good on offence, primary points or not. He has also been solid on D, Chych has not, yet everyone is enamored with him likely because he is young, has potential and a few goals lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00