GDT: GAME #16 - 11/13 7 PM ET - BRUINS at Colorado | NESN, YAHOO (Free), WZLX-FM 100.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CxKbyjuUQAAKnXr.jpg:large

Pepsi-Center-3.jpg

denver-scoreboard.jpg

TONIGHT'S GAME WILL BE STREAMED FREE ON YAHOO
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/live-video/

TONIGHT'S GAME ON RADIO WILL BE HEARD ON WZLX-FM 100.7

NewBannerHiRes.GIF

http://tunein.com/radio/1007-WZLX-s24375/

Tonight's Officials

Referees Ian Walsh (29), Francois St. Laurent (38)
Linesmen Ryan Gibbons (58), Shane Heyer (55)

Ntl. Anthem Jake Schroeder

WAYBACK MACHINE

BOSTON vs COLORADO, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Avalanche are meeting for the 141st time in their histories (includes totals as Quebec Nordiques) with the Bruins having a 71-52-15-2 record and 539-455 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 40-25-6-1 in their 72 road games of this lifetime series with a 293-249 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins split last season’s series with the Avalanche with a 6-2 win in Colorado on 10/14 and 3-2 loss in Boston on 11/12 … They are 2-2-1 in their last 5 games overall vs. Colorado but have taken points out of their last 5 games in Colorado at 4-0-1 … They are 6-1-1 in their last 8 game in Colorado with their lone regulation loss in that span a 4-1 setback on 12/7/05.

Fun Fact: The Bruins are 9-16-1-2 overall vs. the Avalanche since they relocated to Colorado in 1995 and they have a 7-7-1 road
mark over that span.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Torey Krug is 2 assists shy of his 100th NHL assist.
Jimmy Hayes is 5 points short of his 100th NHL point.
The Bruins are 7 goals shy of scoring the 20,000th goal in franchise history … They will become just the 2nd team in NHL history to reach that milestone (Montreal Canadiens).

INJURIES (41 total man-games lost)

Anton Khudobin – Upper body; Traveling with team
Kevan Miller – 10/11 hand surgery; Approx. 6 weeks from time of surgery (IR)
Noel Acciari – Lower body; Approx. 4 weeks

FUN FACTS

The Bruins currently have 25 players on their roster (includes injured players) … 6 were drafted by the team, 8 were acquired in trade and 11 were signed as free agents.

The Bruins play 13 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier).

The Bruins play 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are 2-1-0 in the 1st of those games and are 0-2-0 in the 2nd game thus far.

They play 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season … They are 2-1-0 in the 1st game, 2-1-0 in the 2nd and 1-1-0 in the 3rd of those series so far.

They will wear their 3rd uniform system in 15 games this season … They are 0-1-0 in those games so far.

- The Bruins are playing a 15-game November schedule (7 hm/8 rd, 5-2-0) … They will play 16 games in December (8 hm/8 rd), 14 in January (6 gm/8 rd), 10 in February (5 hm/5 rd), 14 in March (8 hm/6 rd) and 5 in April (4 hm/1 rd) … They went 4-4-0 in October.

NOVEMBER BIRTHDAYS

15 – Kevan Miller will turn 29
16 – Tim Schaller will turn 26
21 – Jimmy Hayes will turn 27
25 – John-Michael Liles will turn 36
26 – Brandon Carlo will turn 20

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1479055340000

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Wonder if the refs will throw us a bone tonight and give us 1 power-play.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Wonder if the refs will throw us a bone tonight and give us 1 power-play.

No kidding. I hate complaining about officiating, but that last game was crazy. I'm sure once again Bruins will have the least pp opportunities in the league. I used to think it s because of reputation (Lucic/Marchand)...but now I'm at a loss.

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
I think it was Doan who choke slammed Pasta last night? Couldnt believe it was a non call. Not generally a conspiracy theorist but **** me... love to see some pp stats from the past 5-10 years. Must be dead last in opportunities by a wide margin

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I would start Rask. We don't have another game until Thursday and last night wasn't horribly taxing. Colorado isn't good and wouldn't want to drop 2 points because of a ****** back up goalie performance, again.

Go Bs! Marchy is always good for a goal against Colorado - let's see it happen!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it was Doan who choke slammed Pasta last night? Couldnt believe it was a non call. Not generally a conspiracy theorist but **** me... love to see some pp stats from the past 5-10 years. Must be dead last in opportunities by a wide margin

Not sure if it was the 5 year one I saw last year but basically the answer is yes we are, and yes it is a wide margin. And it is to a degree that makes you wonder...

I don't think it's a conspiracy. But I can see how some would think that.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
With 3 days off after this one, throw Rask out there but, only if he's 100%. I fear he's still not 100% healed from his "general soreness" from a couple of weeks back.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I said before the week the Bruins would go 4-1 on that 5 games in 7 days stretch with their usual loss to the Habs as the lone loss to be 10-6 after 16 games.

One more win and they will be there. First one without Rask this year.

Go Bruins!

amt98Bruin

Jul 2, 2010
Ontario

aic90

Jul 19, 2005
Ranking in power plays for per game...
15/16: 28th
14/15: 29th
13/14: 30th
12/13: 30th
11/12: 25th
10/11: 26th
09/10: 29th

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-power-plays-per-game/2015/

Regardless of the reason for the ongoing disparity (Claude's reputation with the stripes perhaps...), here's a question: do the B's miss the playoffs the last two seasons (by one point!) if they are even only 20th in PP's instead of at/near the bottom?

One can argue that the last two years they were near bottom in PP's because they were a mediocre at best team (or the opposite - that they missed the PO's and had a mediocre record in part because they got so few PP's). A what comes first, chicken or egg debate.

But last or near last in PP's as cup champ, runner-up, and Pres trophy winner? Really??

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Ranking in power plays for per game...
15/16: 28th
14/15: 29th
13/14: 30th
12/13: 30th
11/12: 25th
10/11: 26th
09/10: 29th

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-power-plays-per-game/2015/

This is pretty interesting. Playing devil's advocate, one might argue that the Bruins either a) target dirty players for their roster or b) encourage an aggressive/defensive style of play that increases the odds of taking penalties or even both explanations may be cited.

One possible way to tease out whether being on the Bruins 'causes' the refs to overpenalize a player is to compare the number of discretionary penalty calls (I.e., not including fighting, delay of game, possibly too many men.) committed
by a player per 60 mins when he was on the Bruins versus when he played for a different team. As an example, Johnny Boychuck's PIMs when with the Bruins vs. Islanders would be a data point.

To be fair, a bump in average within-player penalty frequency for Bruins would only rule out the possibility that Bruins get more penalties because they target dirtier players for their roster. To rule out the possibility that the results are being driven by a certain style of play, you could compare penalties among Bruins players before and after a new coach transition. The change in within-player penalties when switching from a Dave Lewis-coached team to the current Claude Julien-coached team should tell us the extent to which the current Bruins 'system' might be contributing to our penalty problem.

This is all a bit of an oversimplification as you would need to add some controls for specific referee penalty-calling patterns along with time trends for changes in rules regarding penalties and overall changes in penalties per game (which I would suspect has risen over time). Still, a convincing statistical analysis of anti-Bruin penalty discrimination would make for a compelling piece should the hypothesis be confirmed. Maybe I'll do this at some point. Also, I should probably re-post in the advanced stat/house of cards thread.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This is pretty interesting. Playing devil's advocate, one might argue that the Bruins either a) target dirty players for their roster or b) encourage an aggressive/defensive style of play that increases the odds of taking penalties or even both explanations may be cited.

One possible way to tease out whether being on the Bruins 'causes' the refs to overpenalize a player is to compare the number of discretionary penalty calls (I.e., not including fighting, delay of game, possibly too many men.) committed
by a player per 60 mins when he was on the Bruins versus when he played for a different team. As an example, Johnny Boychuck's PIMs when with the Bruins vs. Islanders would be a data point.

To be fair, a bump in average within-player penalty frequency for Bruins would only rule out the possibility that Bruins get more penalties because they target dirtier players for their roster. To rule out the possibility that the results are being driven by a certain style of play, you could compare penalties among Bruins players before and after a new coach transition. The change in within-player penalties when switching from a Dave Lewis-coached team to the current Claude Julien-coached team should tell us the extent to which the current Bruins 'system' might be contributing to our penalty problem.

This is all a bit of an oversimplification as you would need to add some controls for specific referee penalty-calling patterns along with time trends for changes in rules regarding penalties and overall changes in penalties per game (which I would suspect has risen over time). Still, a convincing statistical analysis of anti-Bruin penalty discrimination would make for a compelling piece should the hypothesis be confirmed. Maybe I'll do this at some point. Also, I should probably re-post in the advanced stat/house of cards thread.

That would give us some good info, but what we are specifically asking about is penalties NOT called in the Bruins favor. Not gonna help with that. I don't believe they have been consistently the most penalized team over the years.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wait a minute, I thought the Bruins under Claude were a bunch of divers and embellishers?

There is plenty of video evidence... Of Seguin getting slashed in the ribs and going down and marshand getting appeared in the nether regions...

I watched Gustafson flopping around last year a few times and thought, what is this? Then i remembered that's how the rest of the league does it.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
I've predicted a Jimmy Hayes hat trick quite a few times so far this season and it hasnt worked.

So tonight I predict Jimmy Hayes will get TWO hat tricks!

let's go!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad