GDT: Game 14: Montreal Canadiens Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM | Lets Tuch into some Schmidt

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
This is the first close game we've lost, right? We've either won big, or lost big. In that sense it's good to have one of these games, and getting an OTL, which is something we struggled with last year, too.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This is the first close game we've lost, right? We've either won big, or lost big. In that sense it's good to have one of these games, and getting an OTL, which is something we struggled with last year, too.

The losses to Nashville & Boston were concerning, because they faded after a good 1st. This one was more back and forth all game, they didn't really fade they just didn't get the bounces and made more mistakes than the Habs.

They need to cut down on those awful panicky turnovers.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Effort - was OK. Much better than their road trip & against Colorado.
The Scoring Chances - were plentiful. Looked good on their one PP as well.
The Execution - was off. A little too loosey-goosey against a small team on a BTB. Roy should have dressed, as he would have been extra motivated. Smitty looked human 5 on 5.
The Breaks & Bounces - were unkind. The Hockey Gods gifted us with 1 goal off a leg on a delayed whistle, and a leg against plus a bonus nipple bounce against.

This team needs to figure it out and it figure it out fast. This win one loss one pattern is annoying as heck.

They're undefeated in regulation the past 2 games.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Meh, when two goals went off McNabb it's bad luck.
It's not ALL bad luck though (I mean the third period was just measurably not good) and I know on some level he's partially right but he's really starting to come off like a shrugging "Aw shucks, no big deal" kind of coach. At least in how he presents himself to the media. Which, that's a fine attitude for a fan to have, not a coach running an inconsistent team. I don't know what his coaching looks like behind closed doors so my concern doesn't extend to actual "we need to find a serious coach" thoughts or anything like that but the totality of experiences between public statements and the continued existence of trends and errors that date back to last season...I'm not on the fire Gallant bandwagon or even close yet but I have concerns with how he's handling this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: hangman005

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
3-4-1 against teams in other divisions.
5-1-0 against the Pacific.
6-5-1 since we played the Sharks

The team is still not in bad shape at all in the standings. But at some point there needs to be a stretch when the team gets hot for several games.

The biggest winning streak of the season so far is 2 games. The teams ahead of us in the Pacific won 5 games in a row earlier in the season (Edmonton) and 4 games in a row (Vancouver).

Oh, and our biggest losing streak is 2 games. So our biggest winning streak is just as big as our biggest losing streak. :rolleyes:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3-4-1 against teams in other divisions.
5-1-0 against the Pacific.
6-5-1 since we played the Sharks

The team is still not in bad shape at all in the standings. But at some point there needs to be a stretch when the team gets hot for several games.

The biggest winning streak of the season so far is 2 games. The teams ahead of us in the Pacific won 5 games in a row earlier in the season (Edmonton) and 4 games in a row (Vancouver).

Oh, and our biggest losing streak is 2 games. So our biggest winning streak is just as big as our biggest losing streak. :rolleyes:

Well mark Nov 7th on your calendar. That's the statement game they need to have.

No BTB for either team, should be two good offensive teams, two top goalies going head to head and it's in another teams barn. That and the 9th.

Hopefully they have a 3 game winning streak going into Washington, where Reaves puts Wilson through the glass into the 3rd row (assuming he's not suspended by then). If not, they need to inject a buzzsaw on the 4th line (Roy) and pick up a RH Dman(maybe Schenn if he's back on waivers).

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It's not ALL bad luck though (I mean the third period was just measurably not good) and I know on some level he's partially right but he's really starting to come off like a shrugging "Aw shucks, no big deal" kind of coach. At least in how he presents himself to the media. Which, that's a fine attitude for a fan to have, not a coach running an inconsistent team. I don't know what his coaching looks like behind closed doors so my concern doesn't extend to actual "we need to find a serious coach" thoughts or anything like that but the totality of experiences between public statements and the continued existence of trends and errors that date back to last season...I'm not on the fire Gallant bandwagon or even close yet but I have concerns with how he's handling this team.
He has had at least two games where he went "this was our worst game ever" this season, one of which he said 5-6 players were playing like shit.

Saying "aw shucks, no big deal" after an OTL isn't that big of a deal imo. Even if you blew a 2-goal lead(which A LOT of teams have done this season, remember: it's still October, I think the worst this season was the Nucks blowing a 5-1 lead IIRC).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Effort - was OK. Much better than their road trip & against Colorado.
The Scoring Chances - were plentiful. Looked good on their one PP as well.
The Execution - was off. A little too loosey-goosey against a small team on a BTB. Roy should have dressed, as he would have been extra motivated. Smitty looked human 5 on 5.
The Breaks & Bounces - were unkind. The Hockey Gods gifted us with 1 goal off a leg on a delayed whistle, and a leg against plus a bonus nipple bounce against.

They're undefeated in regulation the past 2 games.

It certainly felt the team deserved a better result despite their mistakes. So I am not so concerned with it being brushed off.

But the second line could have played better. I think they were too concerned with trying to set up Pacioretty for a goal against his former team and you can't do that at this level. It gives the other team time to recover when you have a dangerous position.

It also seemed Pacioretty was gripping his stick too tight wanting to play well against his former team, it happened to Stone also.

So I expect them to play better against the Jets. And the Jets are terrible defensively so this should be a game to pad those stats.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He has had at least two games where he went "this was our worst game ever" this season, one of which he said 5-6 players were playing like ****.

Saying "aw shucks, no big deal" after an OTL isn't that big of a deal imo. Even if you blew a 2-goal lead(which A LOT of teams have done this season, remember: it's still October, I think the worst this season was the Nucks blowing a 5-1 lead IIRC).
I'm not saying the sky is falling. It's just too often that it feels like his comments seem to be out of touch with reality. He could've mentioned that the effort and execution wasn't great and needs improvement going forward. He's the guy most responsible for the long running habits and tendencies of the team and when the team doesn't play well enough in the third period to close out what should've been a decisive win, it's a little frustrating to see the man steering the ship shrug his shoulders and say "well sometimes you just get unlucky and you hit an iceburg."

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
in my humble, every game is becoming a statement game. These guys are playing well or not playing well, but they rarely look like they're on a mission, which I think is the identity this team had built for itself from year 1.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It also seemed Pacioretty was gripping his stick too tight wanting to play well against his former team, it happened to Stone also.

My wife, who is a figgin genius at hockey, opined that Patches was trying too hard last night. Relax, let the game come to you, but don't nod off.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
My wife, who is a figgin genius at hockey, opined that Patches was trying too hard last night. Relax, let the game come to you, but don't nod off.

He definitely was trying to do too much, as your wife stated. I can guess how upset he was when he got that open shot and broke his stick.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I just watched the game and I came away encouraged. Mostly because the 3rd line began producing.

This is how we win, folks. There will be a lot of 5-4, 6-5 games with this defense. If we have 2 1st lines to go with a 2nd we can out score the opposition which is what we basically have to do.

However, the 4th line is worse without Roy. But since the Zykov news, I suppose we have to wait for an injury to bring him back up. I don’t think they will waive Pirri, even if it would make the line up stronger. I really wish Pirri would have signed elsewhere.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I just watched the game and I came away encouraged. Mostly because the 3rd line began producing.

This is how we win, folks. There will be a lot of 5-4, 6-5 games with this defense. If we have 2 1st lines to go with a 2nd we can out score the opposition which is what we basically have to do.

However, the 4th line is worse without Roy. But since the Zykov news, I suppose we have to wait for an injury to bring him back up. I don’t think they will waive Pirri, even if it would make the line up stronger. I really wish Pirri would have signed elsewhere.

I think I prefer to have Pirri as the extra forward. If someone goes on IR you can bring up Roy if need be, he doesn't stop anything other than Roy wasting games being scratched.

And Pirri is good to have as a possible temporary top six winger who could give you some scoring if a top sixer or two is injured.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I think I prefer to have Pirri as the extra forward. If someone goes on IR you can bring up Roy if need be, he doesn't stop anything other than Roy wasting games being scratched.

And Pirri is good to have as a possible temporary top six winger who could give you some scoring if a top sixer or two is injured.

You are right about wanting someone like Pirri to be the extra forward. And he basically will be for the whole year. There is no way you get him back down to Chicago with the offense some of these teams are displaying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad