GDT: Game 14: Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 11/8 7PM EST

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Amazing effort. Nearly a comeback, but you can't wait to show up until you're down by 4 and expect to win.
Also, **** you Tyler Johnson.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
I think we can build on the play in the second half of the game. That said. We were totally out manned this game. Combine that with that lack of focus and commitment early and it looks this ugly.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think the last 3rd period I've seen this entertaining was during the playoffs

I agree. I'm so pumped from that third period. Hopefully the reminder of that playoff-style-Jackets-effort will spark the team into the next game.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I also think we need, among other things, to think about changing up some of our systems. We are an awesome team when we pinch and pressure. We are awful when we don't. That's why we start every game on our heels. It doesn't work.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Last night, I predicted a win if Forsberg starts in net. I'm sticking to that. No disrespect to McElhinney, but I'd like to avoid seeing him go back-to-back games against a quality opponent.

What I meant to say was we'd win if we didn't start Forsberg in net! :sarcasm::laugh:
Thanks everyone for not rubbing this in my face. Yes, we gave up 5 breakaways in the first period, but the kid has to be better to play at this level. McElhinney was significantly better than Forsberg tonight.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Diagnosis of a loss:

The first goal the Lightning just outnumbered us in front of our net. I'm blaming Boller for that. It should have been clear that he had to cover J.T. Brown.

The second goal is obviously Hartnell's fault, terrible play. He went for a double-team on Drouin and was oblivious to Paquette sneaking in behind him for the goal.

Third goal was typical powerplay. Fourth goal was Chaput's fault. Again he went for the doubleteam, leaving Boyle alone in front.

So if you are going to characterize our problems here, it's guys not trusting each other to do their jobs. They're going for double-teams and leaving others wide open. This is typical for teams with low-confidence in each other in losing streaks.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Diagnosis of a loss:

The first goal the Lightning just outnumbered us in front of our net. I'm blaming Boller for that. It should have been clear that he had to cover J.T. Brown.

The second goal is obviously Hartnell's fault, terrible play. He went for a double-team on Drouin and was oblivious to Paquette sneaking in behind him for the goal.

Third goal was typical powerplay. Fourth goal was Chaput's fault. Again he went for the doubleteam, leaving Boyle alone in front.

So if you are going to characterize our problems here, it's guys not trusting each other to do their jobs. They're going for double-teams and leaving others wide open. This is typical for teams with low-confidence in each other in losing streaks.

Or guys trying to do too much on their own. Well said, major! Just do your jobs, gentlemen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Our blueline IS screwing the pooch this year. Prout has been terrible. Savard is inconsistent and Erixon is barely NHL caliber. Johnson has not been good either.

I agree in general, but tonight's screwups were our forwards fault. Team D.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I agree in general, but tonight's screwups were our forwards fault. Team D.

Oh I can't disagree with that (in general), but Prout was brutal tonight.

The other issue is the slow starts - all season long. Heck, even in the playoffs last year. Gotta play the first period like we play the third.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
This goes back to pregame but I'm curious why Callahan took the ceremonial face off instead off Stammer.

Ok, I'm reaching here, but being military appreciation night:
Stamkos is Canadian
Callahan is American
????

We have a USA leadership group, evidently: Boll, Foligno, Wiz, Dubi all with A's
Tyutin and Letestu are not.
Still seems unusual (and highly irrelevant )

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad