Post-Game Talk: Game #14: Canucks 3, Capitals 2 - Powerplay Goals Are Overrated

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
That and no blowouts, at least not yet. He has been pulled from a game every single October since 2006 and that hasn't happened yet this year. Though I suppose if there was a game for it to happen it'd be against Detroit tomorrow.

I don't know if they have it in them this year. 23rd in scoring and mediocre possession numbers. From what I've seen, I would bet on a pretty tight game. They're not really playing puck possession style hockey this year, more of a defensive, chip it out, chip it in team.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Fourth line needs improvement. There is no reason why Weber should play as a forward. You either waive him, bench him, or play him as defense. Whatever you do just get a fourth liner that can play the game! Same goes for Sestito... he has size yes but the guy has lost every fight... can't play for ****, as well as giving the Caps 2 goals last night.

These 2 players need to be taken out of the line up (waive, bench, etc.) for players that can play. If Santorelli only cost us 500k, then imagine what kind of role players we can get if we find em!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Game with Detroit should be interesting. Our lower ranked D men, Tanev and Stanton make the least mistakes. Although the team has had injuries but having for the most part the same D lineup game after game is huge. They are improving as a group. Though Bieksa/Edler making mistakes is a given they make good plays as well and we need a couple d men that throw a good hit or two.

I don't think you can consider Tanev lower ranking anymore. Torts play his players based on performance and Tanev these past few games has had more minutes then Hamhuis. But today he got less due to his performance. In terms of defensive pairs I think this is the strongest third pairing we have had in a while...

To bad we don't have that Erhoff or Salo to finish the PP!

If I were Gillis I would trade for Erhoff.:nod:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I just wanted to add that Bieksa was a beast last night. Physically dominant in his own zone, took the body well and stripped the Capital forwards of the pucks regularly and then passed the puck or skated it out of the zone consistently. On eof the better games I've seen from him defensively. Of all our defencemen, he appears to be thriving the most under Torts' system. Just a delight to watch him play this year.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think you can consider Tanev lower ranking anymore. Torts play his players based on performance and Tanev these past few games has had more minutes then Hamhuis. But today he got less due to his performance. In terms of defensive pairs I think this is the strongest third pairing we have had in a while...

To bad we don't have that Erhoff or Salo to finish the PP!

If I were Gillis I would trade for Erhoff.:nod:

Maybe we should try using Weber on the PP before we start looking at trades.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I just wanted to add that Bieksa was a beast last night. Physically dominant in his own zone, took the body well and stripped the Capital forwards of the pucks regularly and then passed the puck or skated it out of the zone consistently. On eof the better games I've seen from him defensively. Of all our defencemen, he appears to be thriving the most under Torts' system. Just a delight to watch him play this year.

Honestly, this is the best I have ever witnessed Bieksa play. If he maintains it, I'd argue he is well on his way to surpassing the 2011 season. The concern was he might not adjust to Torts' rigid status, yet the precise opposite has occurred: Bieksa is flourishing. Never thought I would say he deserves a Sochi look, but here we are. He wouldn't get the consideration due to their abundance of right handed defensemen but his play is warranting it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Luongo's numbers are low because we limit the amount of shots directed at him. He has long been accustom to a heavy workload, evident by how frequently AV relied on him to handle 35+ shots a game. Torts does the precise opposite, thus when a puck does beat him, it ruins his stats. Lu was solid last night, yet finished the game with a .895.

Ah, the Dan Cloutier defense.

How I've missed you, old friend.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Ah, the Dan Cloutier defense.

How I've missed you, old friend.

You could argue it's the Martin Brodeur defense as well. The year the Devils won the Cup in '03 he had a 2.02 GAA and only a .914 Save%. How about his numbers last year? He had a 2.22 GAA and only a .901 Save%. No matter how good or bad the Devils are as a team, they always allow a very, very low amount of shots.

I'm not trying to defend Luongo because I'm actually one of those people who has been of the mind that he's been average this year but I also want to acknowledge the "low shots against = low save % for the goalie" thing is absolutely true.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Luongo's numbers are low because we limit the amount of shots directed at him. He has long been accustom to a heavy workload, evident by how frequently AV relied on him to handle 35+ shots a game. Torts does the precise opposite, thus when a puck does beat him, it ruins his stats. Lu was solid last night, yet finished the game with a .895.

Luongo is only facing 0.61 fewer shots per 60 minutes compared to last season. So 3 fewer shots every 5 games. That has had little to no effect on his numbers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Luongo is only facing 0.61 fewer shots per 60 minutes compared to last season. So 3 fewer shots every 5 games. That has had little to no effect on his numbers.

As someone pointed out, that Hamhuis own goal cost Luongo 0.003 points off his SVP. The goal that Tanev tipped into his own net on what would have been a routine save cost him the same as well. Eliminate those two own goals and Luongo's stats would be 2.32GAA, 0.914SVP. Not bad at all.

#SampleSize

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Maybe we should try using Weber on the PP before we start looking at trades.

Don't need to switch up the PP. It's performing as well as it ever has in terms of all possession stats. Just need to be patient and the goals will start going in.

Ehrhoff would be nice, but he'd be more useful on even strength zone breakouts than on the PP at this point. I don't see the ice time for him on this team. We need to focus on developing young players, with the current set of top four defensemen locked up between 3 and 6 more seasons.

The acquisition cost of Ehrhoff would be extremely high. The Sabres have already paid him $18m and are likely to want to keep him around for the rebuild. My guess is the cost would be multiple first round picks and young players to tempt them.

He's also subject to the cap recapture penalty, so his real cap hit is a fair bit higher than it looks on Capgeek.

I'd rather they look at building up center depth. Horvat is incoming, but he's not a sure thing, and there are a couple of 2014 UFA's worth looking at in Stastny and Grabovski.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
As someone pointed out, that Hamhuis own goal cost Luongo 0.003 points off his SVP. The goal that Tanev tipped into his own net on what would have been a routine save cost him the same as well. Eliminate those two own goals and Luongo's stats would be 2.32GAA, 0.914SVP. Not bad at all.

#SampleSize

Well all goalies face similar blunders from their defense, and more than once Luongo's been saved by the post after being down and out(again, which also applies to other goalies)

Luongo has been decidedly average to start the season, as his Octobers are usually pretty mediocre. If he doesn't start to pick up in November then I'll start to be worried.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Would be interesting to compare Luongo's third period plus overtime stats to his first period stats. My perception is that he's been lights out from the third period on. As the old adage states, sometimes it's more important when you make the big saves. I'm not excusing his play in the first period but he has come up big when we've needed him.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's also subject to the cap recapture penalty, so his real cap hit is a fair bit higher than it looks on Capgeek.

Buffalo has all the cap recapture risk on Ehrhoff. His salary never exceeds his cap hit for the rest of the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad