GDT: Game 14 - Blue Jackets vs Hurricanes - 2/8 7:00 pm

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Just as players accept that some players are paid more for different reasons. I think players accept that players are treated differently.

If someone of lesser skill doesn't put in the work, what good does he do?

When you have someone like Laine with a certain skill not many others possess, it's gonna take a bit more to put that guy on the bench.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It is amazing, though, the grief Tort's is getting for benching a guy for taking an off day during a game, but get no credit for running a guy out there over 21 minutes, who missed more time at the beginning of the year, and ended up with the game winner.

Reactions: thebus88 and db2011

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It is amazing, though, the grief Tort's is getting for benching a guy for taking an off day during a game, but get no credit for running a guy out there over 21 minutes, who missed more time at the beginning of the year, and ended up with the game winner.

Our fanbase only cares about catering to international superstars.

See how silly unsupportable blanket statements sound?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That's quite an effort to downplay Laine's performance. So, correct me if I'm wrongg, the first goal was too "lucky" (when he battled for the puck, got control of it with a d-man hanging on him, and put it past the goalie from a tricky position), and the other two were just the same old onetimers (of which he is arguably one of a few in the world that can shoot like that and score on a regular basis)? Not counting the several passes that put his linemates in premium scoring position?

If you can't give adequate praise for the good that a player does, you're in no position to critisize them either.
I didn’t say he was flat out terrible, I said he was mediocre which he was. He had some decent moments, but in general he hasn’t performed like a superstar he is

Reactions: OldGoaltender

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC

I think every player has strengths and weaknesses and it’s up to the coach to get the most out of every player. My problem with Torts is his ability or inability to adapt his game and plan letting it evolve. He seems to be a square peg guy trying to pound the round peg in.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Besides his goals (one was kind of a lucky backhand goal, two were signature stationary one timers) , he has been rather mediocre

Aren't signature stationary one timers why we were being fed that Bemstrom was a high quality prospect? How far down the goal scoring list does Ovechikin fall if those types of goals don't count as much as other goals?

I don't think anyone is saying Laine is the greatest player ever but he has only been on the team for a week and has had maybe 2 full off day practices with the team. I still fail to see where the punishment has fit the crime that he has to sit for 1/2 the game at this point.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I doubt very many fans just want to see high scoring games and not care about winning. I think some fans believe it's best to do whatever is necessary to keep star players happy, thus retaining them. This is a fan base that has seen players like Panarin, Nash, Bobrovsky, Foote, PLD, and Carter leave or force their way out. They just want nice things.

I think others believe the best way to to handle it is to hold stars and grinders accountable for their effort and commitment to the team.

I also think some fans and coaches believe the most talented players need to be held the most accountable for their effort. I think this is the approach coaches like Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan, even Urban Meyer take. Relentless competition and accountability.

My belief is the inability to retain and attract some star players has more to do with ownership than coaching or even the front office. Columbus ownership hasn't been successful selling the team to the league. If it had we would be getting big events like the Winter Classic and much more national exposure. I believe a lot of fans, even players and agents are barely aware there's a team in Columbus. I think it's likely the Jackets aren't on a lot of no trade lists because the players and agents don't even think about Columbus. Not good, not bad - nothing. That's what needs to change.

Looking at the cities, Columbus is no more or less attractive than Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Denver and the rest of the mid market. It's ownership.
Other than Pittsburgh’s success, CBJ doesn’t look much different from those other franchises to me. A few have one or two elite players, but no higher level of success. And the elite players were drafted 1 or 2 OA.
We thought (well I did) that PLD was becoming that guy and we needed a sniper or two. Who knows why PLD wanted out, and at this point, good luck have a nice life. I’m not sure other than MacKinnon who you have in mind that was retained or gotten other than through the draft who has driven a team to playoffs, let alone playoff runs.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am literally lol-ing. This is the funniest thing I've read since Sunday, when a friend posted to FB that the SB halftime show felt like watching "Great Value Michael Jackson."

Also, do you suppose Jarmo has a twin brother?

That great value MJ contributed $7 million of his own money to the production apparently - thought that was interesting. He wanted to ride out on a helicopter but didn't want to cough up the extra $$$ to do it!

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I am literally lol-ing. This is the funniest thing I've read since Sunday, when a friend posted to FB that the SB halftime show felt like watching "Great Value Michael Jackson."

Also, do you suppose Jarmo has a twin brother?

That is a great observation. lmbo

Whenever I watch Back to the Future, I always think of Jarmo when Marty is being accosted by the principal for being late to class. They look, and sound, very similar.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
That great value MJ contributed $7 million of his own money to the production apparently - thought that was interesting. He wanted to ride out on a helicopter but didn't want to cough up the extra $$$ to do it!

Don't all of the interested artists have to pay to perform? I thought I remember reading that.

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I think that's how the NFL operates now with regard to SB entertainment. So I don't think that's special. I may be misunderstanding but I think I read something to that effect.

I don't care for Mr. Nd's music, but I do think it was interesting that this show focused more on the electronic media aspect of the thing - there have always been more people watching at home that in person, and even more so this year. But I just found that comment hysterical.

EDIT: I wanted to explain that I didn't intend the comment to dismiss the entertainment or entertainer, but we probably shouldn't continue talking about the SB halftime show in this thread.

Reactions: Monk

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Aren't signature stationary one timers why we were being fed that Bemstrom was a high quality prospect? How far down the goal scoring list does Ovechikin fall if those types of goals don't count as much as other goals?

I don't think anyone is saying Laine is the greatest player ever but he has only been on the team for a week and has had maybe 2 full off day practices with the team. I still fail to see where the punishment has fit the crime that he has to sit for 1/2 the game at this point.
I think the practice thing might be the rub here. Maybe his practice ethic hasn't been up to snuff and Torts might think it is working its way into his game. Roslovic hasn't been here much longer and he has yet to feel the wrath of Torts. This benching goes beyond this game.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017

He's playing the hot hand, credit where it's due, but Roslovic during his career hasn't really been a consistent producer either.

I hope that he will be, but there's also a chance that we will be talking about him in the same lines as we're talking about Laine right now, if his performance drops off. Even in Jets, he had these solid streaks of games, followed by being completely invisible.

What Laine has shown throughout his career, is that even if he has a bad couple of periods, he can still score a game-winner for you, just like Roslovic did. But due to the benching we will never know if he would have. I think his 2nd game against Dallas was the shits on his part, but he still scored a big goal. He did that on Winnipeg many times too, including hat-tricks in games where he had some ugly moments.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He's playing the hot hand, credit where it's due, but Roslovic during his career hasn't really been a consistent producer either.

I hope that he will be, but there's also a chance that we will be talking about him in the same lines as we're talking about Laine right now, if his performance drops off. Even in Jets, he had these solid streaks of games, followed by being completely invisible.

What Laine has shown throughout his career, is that even if he has a bad couple of periods, he can still score a game-winner for your, just like Roslovic did. But due to the benching we will never know if he would have.
You are probably right on Roslovic. He is also probably riding the adrenaline of playing for his home town team. Over time he will most likely even out and become the player he really is.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Laine was lauded as a guy who can take discipline and people are already jumping up and down like OMG Fire Torts! We don’t want another PLD. Laine can take it.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Again, I’d rather be mediocre and a principled team than slightly better than mediocre and careless and lazy.

Booooooone 38

Apr 10, 2016
I swear none of you actually watch the games. It wasn’t one bad play. Around 2-3 minutes after the 2-2 goal the exact same thing happened with Laine on the ice in the exact same position. Fortunately Carolina player missed the open net and hit the crossbar. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice I think you know the rest.

ScreamingWild

Jobu Mojo
Oct 4, 2006
Ontario
In my opinion (C'ingMA) the team won not because of Tortorella's coaching last night but in spite of it. I believe they won for it themselves, not for praise from Torts. There are any number of post-win-game interviews wherein he blasted the team for not playing as he had dictated. His seems to be a very punitive system of coaching. It's not difficult to get the insinuation that he's okay with losing as long as the team played the "right" way: he's said it himself. He has always confused me in his willingness to accept a loss if they played "his" way then turn around and denigrate a win because the team didn't play "his" way. It's almost as if the team takes a backseat to his coaching narrative. Sorry, guys and gals, I want the X in the win column, not in the moral victory category.

Edit to add: My comments are in no way directly related to the benching of Laine. This is nothing new, just the latest face on the milk carton.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad