BRUINS GDT GAME 14 7:14 PM - Bonjour/Hi Poutineville, The 2 refs have the same first name (Chris) - NESN, CBC, NHLN (NO ESPN+), 98.5 WBZ-FM, 690 AM CKGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1699687419276.png

1699687215833.png

1699686561116.png

1699688069509.png

Arbitres/Referees

1699688636211.png
1699688505425.png

Chris Lee (28), Chris Rooney (5)

Juges de ligne/Linespersons Ryan Galloway (82), Derek Nansen (70)

TONIGHT’S GAME -The Bruins travel to Montreal tonight in the frst of four games between these teams this season and the frst of two visits to Bell Centre this year ... The Bruins are 11-1-1 overall this season and they are 5-1-0 on the road ... They are 4-1-0 in games vs. Eastern Conference teams this season. -The Bruins open a two-game road trip tonight in Montreal and will play in Buffalo on 11/14 ... They will then return home to host the Canadiens on 11/18.

MILESTONES APPROACHING - Charlie Coyle is 2 games short of his 800th NHL game. - Jake DeBrusk is 3 games short of his 400th NHL game. - Kevin Shattenkirk is 3 goals short of his 100th NHL goal. - Brad Marchand is 3 assists short of his 500th NHL assist. - James van Riemsdyk is 3 assists shy of his 300th NHL assist. - Charlie McAvoy is 5 assists short of his 200th NHL assist. - Pavel Zacha is 6 goals shy of his 100th NHL goal. - Jeremy Swayman is 6 games short of his 100th NHL game. - Derek Forbort is 7 points short of his 100th NHL point. - Matt Grzelcyk is 9 games shy of his 400th NHL game. - Brandon Carlo is 9 games shy of his 500th NHL game

INJURIES (24 man-games lost) - Morgan Geekie: Upper body IR - Milan Lucic: Lower body IR - Matt Grzelcyk: Upper body IR

BOSTON vs MONTREAL, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Canadiens are meeting for the 758th time in their histories with a 291-353-103-10 record and Montreal having a 2,271-2,017 scoring edge in those games. - The Bruins are 118-211-47-3 lifetime in 379 games in Montreal with the Canadiens holding a 1,252-912 scoring advantage in those contests. - The Bruins have won their last ten games vs. Montreal.

1699687482863.png

1699687629908.png

The Boston Bruins have started piling up the wins for a second straight season.

While last season's Bruins surged to an NHL-best 65 victories, the competitive nature of games this season has been much tighter despite an 11-1-1 start. The Bruins' 23 points matched the champion Vegas Golden Knights for tops in the league heading into Friday's action.

Boston heads north for a Saturday night matchup with the Atlantic Division rival Montreal Canadiens having won five of its last six games. The Bruins played in four straight one-goal contests prior to Thursday's 5-2 win over the New York Islanders.

"The season's long. You're going to go through different types of games," Bruins forward David Pastrnak said. "You're going to be up, you're going to be chasing the game, and you just have to believe in the process, play our game, and we have a good group in here."

The Bruins were locked in a 2-2 tie early in Thursday's third period before pulling away for the victory. A three-goal run to finish the game included two by Charlie Coyle, who finished his first career hat trick and a four-point night.

It was a productive night for not only Coyle, who has 12 points in 13 games, but linemates Trent Frederic (one goal, one assist) and James van Riemsdyk (two assists) as well. Pastrnak had a goal and two assists.

"I thought (that line) had a huge impact," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "(van Riemsdyk) made five outstanding first passes; two of them didn't end up in a net, but three or four of them did. And Frederic and Coyle have always had a chemistry together. So, it was really nice to see."

Likely backstopped by 6-0-0 goalie Jeremy Swayman, the Bruins' lineup will be deeper come Saturday. Defenseman Charlie McAvoy has completed his four-game suspension for an illegal check to the head.

Also, forward Jakub Lauko is "an option" to play after missing seven games with a facial fracture from being cut by a skate blade Oct. 24 in Chicago.

Montreal earned a 3-2 overtime win Thursday at Detroit, snapping a four-game losing streak. The 0-3-1 run stretched back to an Oct. 28 triumph against Winnipeg.

Cole Caufield maintained his role as the Canadiens' early-season hero, scoring his third overtime game winner of the season in the final minute of the extra session. Only eight players in franchise history have reached that mark over an entire season, while he is only the second-ever NHL player to do so within his first five or fewer tallies of a campaign.

"I like being in that situation," Caufield said. "Obviously, you want to finish games in regulation, but you have to play the game that's in front of you, and I'm proud of the way we handled it."

Mike Matheson led Montreal with a goal and two assists while playing a game-high 27:56 on defense.

Sean Monahan logged an assist to run his point streak to seven games.

Three goalies have played for Montreal thus far, but Cayden Primeau has earned the last two starts over Jake Allen and Sam Montembeault. Primeau made 27 saves against the Red Wings, earning his first NHL win since Dec. 16, 2021.

"It's not easy for him with the three-goalie rotation, and the circumstances early in the season where our team is getting results, our goalies are playing well, so he kind of has to wait for his turn," Montreal coach Martin St. Louis said. "He's been a great teammate and a worker."

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Habs have been surprisingly good so far this season. Not set the world on fire good, but solid and sitting north of .500 which was not expected. Caufield's starting to really fulfil his potential, Monahan looks to be hitting his straps after an injury-plagued season last year, and Suzuki remains a very good player. By Habs standards they're not soft either.

Still think the Bruins should get the job done here though. They'll need to be on top of their game and can't rely on any help from the officiating, and McAvoy might be a bit rusty, but Boston can roll 4 lines and maintain the pressure better for longer than Montreal, and Swayman has been other-worldly. 4-2 to the good guys.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Oof, that ref duo is not what I wanted to see. The Bruins are about to get Christened at Bell Centre. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think. The fans will be calling for penalties all night, as usual.

Montreal will want to see how they measure up against the Bruins, so it could be a fun game if the officials let them play. It will be great to get McAvoy back! Hopefully he learned a tough lesson, we can't afford to lose him for even longer.

Two points against the Habs would make for a nice Saturday night. Score first and score quickly, take the crowd out as soon as possible.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Habs have been surprisingly good so far this season. Not set the world on fire good, but solid and sitting north of .500 which was not expected. Caufield's starting to really fulfil his potential, Monahan looks to be hitting his straps after an injury-plagued season last year, and Suzuki remains a very good player. By Habs standards they're not soft either.

Still think the Bruins should get the job done here though. They'll need to be on top of their game and can't rely on any help from the officiating, and McAvoy might be a bit rusty, but Boston can roll 4 lines and maintain the pressure better for longer than Montreal, and Swayman has been other-worldly. 4-2 to the good guys.
The NHL is a better league with Poutineville being in the mix

The game is available in my Frankfurt hotel at 1 AM :help: I am supposed to get a good night's sleep before working the NFL game.

Of course I am going to watch

1699698399695.png

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Nice touch on the GDT with the French flavor, LOL. As a Bruins fan from Montreal, it's always special when the B's are in town.

If you guys have never seen this, here's a 3 minute excerpt from an old Don Cherry Rock'em Sock'em tape where he shows clips of the record breaking 11x 20 goal scorers from the 77-78 season. That is the era and team that made me a Bruins fan. Aside from having talent, you can see from some of the clips how tight those guys were back then.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1699709175494.jpeg

I’m still in Arizona with Mrs. 103, but she and I will probably be on our way to Las Vegas for the weekend by the time the game starts. I can’t remember the last time I missed a Bruins-Canadiens game, but it’s our 10th anniversary weekend and I can’t let those filthy Habitants distract me too much. One of my buddies says I suffer from PMS - Playing Montreal Syndrome. Symptoms include fidgeting, mania, irritability, and situational loud outbursts punctuated with either rage or euphoria. He’s been a good friend for a while now, and he says games against the Habs affect me differently than games against any other team in any other sport. He’s probably right. How I feel about this team probably isn’t healthy, but I probably don’t care.

I’m expecting Jeremy Swayman to play tonight and play well. With Mac back and even a little rested (silver lining), I want to believe that the Bruins can grind them down and choke them out to the tune of 4-2.

Just because I’ll be in the entertainment capital of the world doesn’t mean for a second that I won’t be keeping a close eye on this one. I will absolutely be checking in.

And to those who think the NHL is better when Montreal is good and relevant - no it’s not. The NHL is better when the Bruins dominate and stomp the shit out of the Canadiens. I’ll leave you all with this…

The longest win streak in this series all-time is thirteen (13) games. Held by Montreal, of course. The Bruins currently have a ten (10) game winning streak versus the Canadiens. Personally, I want that f*cking winning streak record to belong to the Bruins. The Bruins might never catch Montreal’s 24 Stanley Cup championships, but I want the Bs to take as much away from them as possible. Starting with a win tonight.

1699709212093.png

1699709243212.jpeg

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure anyone from the US had the pleasure of watching this however this song is stuck in my mind everytime Boston faces Montreal. Love Leonard Cohen. Enjoy!

Great tune!

So the Bruins are playing in Montreal and the refs are Chris Lee and Chris Rooney, yeah this should go well. These are 2 of the worst refs ever, only 2 worse than these 2 at the moment are Kelly Sutherland and TJ Suxmore

Pretty bad when Bruins fans are complaining about the officating before the game is even played.

Really only one game this season with a lot of posts complaining about the referring. Guess which one?

Reactions: hrdpuk and Blowfish

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My little sis and husband drove up to MTL for this one. Any advice I should give them for places to hit up in that part of town?
I can’t recommend anywhere from firsthand experience, but when Mrs. 103 and I eventually visit Montreal, one place definitely on the to-do list is the “Poutineville” restaurant. How could we not?

By the way… our Boston Bruins well represented on this map.
1699711261835.jpeg

Embrace the hatred, my ursine brothers and sisters. :cool:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
My little sis and husband drove up to MTL for this one. Any advice I should give them for places to hit up in that part of town?
Most places in and around the Bell Center are typically packed ahead of an event. The high today will be about 40 degrees; however if they don't mind walking anywhere from 5-8 minutes, some nice places would include Mister Steer on Saint Catherine / McLean's Pub on Peel / Brutopia on Crescent.

Hoping for a big win by the B's to have made the drive worthwhile.

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
Habs have been bad/irrelevant since I've gotten mum into hockey and she doesn't understand why I insist they're the Bruins "top" rival haha

Hopefully they're on the upswing, makes the rivalry more fun, and of course the Bruins will flatten them still!

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Nice touch on the GDT with the French flavor, LOL. As a Bruins fan from Montreal, it's always special when the B's are in town.

If you guys have never seen this, here's a 3 minute excerpt from an old Don Cherry Rock'em Sock'em tape where he shows clips of the record breaking 11x 20 goal scorers from the 77-78 season. That is the era and team that made me a Bruins fan. Aside from having talent, you can see from some of the clips how tight those guys were back then.

Almost forgot that two tough guys, O'Reilly and Jonathan almost hit 30 goals. Seems like creating time and space for yourself does pay off later on.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Almost forgot that two tough guys, O'Reilly and Jonathan almost hit 30 goals. Seems like creating time and space for yourself does pay off later on.
Yep - and O'Reilly was the team's leading point getter with 90.

I know it was a different era, but check out the crazy depth on this lineup (even Wensink got 16 goals). Imagine what it would cost to keep a lineup like that intact today:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
3-2 Bruins in OT. This should be fun, despite the incompetent Lee, and the always overcompensating Rooney. The Habs match up well with us for the usual reason, they are smaller and faster than us. We shall see what happens. I would not be surprised if the Habs jump out to a lead, especially considering the officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad