4jIo.gif

4 - 5 - 3 for 11 points with a Home Record of 2 - 3 - 2

Production Leaders
Goals: Comtois with 5
Assists: Rowney with 6

s-l300.jpg

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Who would have thought Comtois would be tied for most points while leading the team in goals scored this far into the season ? I didn't.
Comtois was drafted a whole year after Steel and Jones, 2 years after Terry. He's still got alot of room to improve.
He's streaky in that he has had 2 games where he scored 2 goals but those 2 goals last night were good enough for the win if Gibson had done his job.

Already thinking about the future of Zegras centering Comtois on the top line, they then would just need a sniper to play RW.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Who would have thought Comtois would be tied for most points while leading the team in goals scored this far into the season ? I didn't.
Comtois was drafted a whole year after Steel and Jones, 2 years after Terry. He's still got alot of room to improve.
He's streaky in that he has had 2 games where he scored 2 goals but those 2 goals last night were good enough for the win if Gibson had done his job.

Already thinking about the future of Zegras centering Comtois on the top line, they then would just need a sniper to play RW.
Comtois - Zegras - Rakell?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

It'd be more impressive if he wasn't leading the team at a 40-point pace. That's really more about the team.

Do we know if Getz is playing tonight?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It'd be more impressive if he wasn't leading the team at a 40-point pace. That's really more about the team.

Do we know if Getz is playing tonight?

Eakins says he hopes to have Getz back in tonight, just needed the night off on an injury that flared up during practice Thursday. But is nothing serious.

Quackattack

Feb 2, 2019
I think we might be seeing improvement! It’s kind of like trying to plug holes on a sinking ship, but it seems like some holes are getting plugged and no new holes are showing up. Progress?!

We aren’t getting outshot 2x right now. We haven’t had that in two years. Gibson had a below average game which is going to happen— and we got a point! And, once in awhile, one or two of the kids shows up.

Still can’t win in overtime. Still have a historically bad PowerPlay that seems to adopt the same strategy as my old peewee team (2 defensemen + everyone stays in their spot). Still get outshot on most nights. But progress with this group is really all we can hope for.

Real progress would be if we play well today, and don’t lay a duck egg after a strong game.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we might be seeing improvement! It’s kind of like trying to plug holes on a sinking ship, but it seems like some holes are getting plugged and no new holes are showing up. Progress?!

We aren’t getting outshot 2x right now. We haven’t had that in two years. Gibson had a below average game which is going to happen— and we got a point! And, once in awhile, one or two of the kids shows up.

Still can’t win in overtime. Still have a historically bad PowerPlay that seems to adopt the same strategy as my old peewee team (2 defensemen + everyone stays in their spot). Still get outshot on most nights. But progress with this group is really all we can hope for.

Real progress would be if we play well today, and don’t lay a duck egg after a strong game.

PP is so bad, after that dreadful shorty they gave up last night, they have the same amount of goals for as against on the PP. Imagine having a middle of the road PP? They would have a couple of more wins, easily.

I just don’t understand whoever runs the PP not sure if it’s Eakins or not, doesn’t shake things up and think out of the box. I also can’t believe how bad Shattenkirk has been on the PP and overall. But he shouldn’t be playing over 20 mins a night. He had over 25 last night. Not good .

5 on 5 has been solid, PK has been excellent. The PP is losing games for this team.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
PP is so bad, after that dreadful shorty they gave up last night, they have the same amount of goals for as against on the PP. Imagine having a middle of the road PP? They would have a couple of more wins, easily.

I just don’t understand whoever runs the PP not sure if it’s Eakins or not, doesn’t shake things up and think out of the box. I also can’t believe how bad Shattenkirk has been on the PP and overall. But he shouldn’t be playing over 20 mins a night. He had over 25 last night. Not good .

5 on 5 has been solid, PK has been excellent. The PP is losing games for this team.
Don't know that I'd agree that 5 on 5 has been solid. I think it's more accurate to say that when the team is solid, it's thanks to their 5 on 5 play. But they have also had games-long breakdowns at even strength, so I don't know that I'd say this is a solid even strength team.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gibby has started 11 of 12, seems like it's time he gets a night off, should see Miller tonight.
Miller should def get tonight....
I think the team has looked better the last couple games... I really don’t know how to fix then power play.... maybe just keep Henrique off it.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Miller should def get tonight....
I think the team has looked better the last couple games... I really don’t know how to fix then power play.... maybe just keep Henrique off it.
With regard to the PP: I think they should devise a play to get it to Comtois in the right circle, like Selanne in the left. MC scored both of his goals from there last night, and he can one-time the puck.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I wasn't sure about it but I kind of expected him to be at least among our top scorers. People are ignoring how good he was in WJC's, how good he has been producing in the NHL, and that he was heating up last year. He was the AHL player of February IIRC. His shortcomings was play without the puck probably, but it seemed it's his inexperience. He put a lot of work over the summer, he is a big dude and has scored at every level. Not surprised he is producing more than other youngsters.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibby has started 11 of 12, seems like it's time he gets a night off, should see Miller tonight.

On the back-to-back, it's expected that Gibby gets the night off. The team had an extra day between games (two days off), but Gibby has a terrible game. A lot of our success hinges on Gibby being that elite player.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I don’t understand whoever runs the PP not sure if it’s Eakins or not, doesn’t shake things up and think out of the box.

After last season, we should have fired the assistant coach who runs the PP. The issues are overwhelming: no good set plays, players in wrong positions, wrong personal on PP, no attempts to change any way they play.

All of that is coaching. It's clearly coaching and it needs to be fixed. The fact that the 4 on 3 had two defensemen is all that needs to be said. I truly believe that coaching is really hurting the Ducks this season.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After last season, we should have fired the assistant coach who runs the PP. The issues are overwhelming: no good set plays, players in wrong positions, wrong personal on PP, no attempts to change any way they play.

All of that is coaching. It's clearly coaching and it needs to be fixed. The fact that the 4 on 3 had two defensemen is all that needs to be said. I truly believe that coaching is really hurting the Ducks this season.

Even with bringing up Zegras this season and potentially Drysdale next who are both PP QBs, if there is no plan or good coaching it’s going to still be an issue even with adding that skill.

Most teams have the PP to create momentum and change the flow of the game, whether they score or not . With Anaheim it actually kills momentum. To the point would prefer they take a stupid penalty to cancel out the PP and skate 4 on 4. Lol. I know that sounds crazy.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Even with bringing up Zegras this season and potentially Drysdale next who are both PP QBs, if there is no plan or good coaching it’s going to still be an issue even with adding that skill.

Most teams have the PP to create momentum and change the flow of the game, whether they score or not . With Anaheim it actually kills momentum. To the point would prefer they take a stupid penalty to cancel out the PP and skate 4 on 4. Lol. I know that sounds crazy.

Completely agree. It's frustrating because there are plenty of teams that lack high end talent but are still capable of having an average PP. The players need to step up, for sure, but they are clearly lost on the ice and that's coaching.

Unfortunately, I don't think BM will ever realize this because he rehired RC and then didn't fire him when he clearly should have. Most likely, BM will come out and blame it all on the players effort, again.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The flip side of your argument is that Comtois would be scoring at a much higher pace on a good team. We might have a way better player in Comtois than we even know.
5 goals in 12 games is impressive for any team. With the Ducks that’s friggin elite lol

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Too bad Paul Maclean is currently with Toronto. The PP seemed pretty effective with him. Always thought he had underrated coaching ability. He was a very good offensive player himself as well.
The talent difference between those mid-teens teams that he helped coach and this one is pretty vast. There's no magic coach that can turn our players into finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad