GDT: Game 13: New York Rangers vs Minnesota Wild, 7pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
(....in the playoffs)
Hurt two seasons ago.

Last year, no one outperformed their regular season.

He's just a popular whipping boy.

Yeah, we have the top guy, but NJ has 4 of the top 15. Where's Mika and all the "offensively talented players"? Not complaining, just wondering. I'd like us to be scoring a bit more, but our team defense has been pretty incredible and yeah, that includes goaltending.
NJ is better.

Where's McDavid and some of the other superstars?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With the new style we play and the sneaking suspicion that Ramsey was letting guys play hurt more than he should have, I expect us to have some injuries to work thru but it gives guys more opportunities they wouldn’t have.

I am not as concerned especially with the bit of cushion we built ourselves and how early it is in the season.

Maybe less games for fox this year will be a good thing frankly.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If we win with Domingue we may not lose another game this season.
never-lose-again-streak.gif

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
With the new style we play and the sneaking suspicion that Ramsey was letting guys play hurt more than he should have, I expect us to have some injuries to work thru but it gives guys more opportunities they wouldn’t have.

I am not as concerned especially with the bit of cushion we built ourselves and how early it is in the season.

They might be a little too cautious but it's early in the season...

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Interested to see the response at home after Minny did a number on them in the second half of the game the other night.

The Rangers need to match that level, or their level of that first period I should say, for 60 minutes.

As Lav stated, I think that was a sneaky trip on the schedule that had them go right back on the road with a little time change as well, but they gutted out the point. Not to mention they were down several players for the first time. I think we will see a good effort tonight

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Ramsay was with the Rangers 28 years and let guys play hurt and nothing ever stopped it, makes absolute zero sense.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
120% PP+PK Cannot possibly be sustainable
In theory why not? Just means that the team is better than NHL average (by a good margin). The Rangers have been above average or even among the leagues' best in special teams for a couple of years now and it does make sense given the best goalie (driver for PK success) and the whole PP1 unit.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Domingue is in tonight.

On that note, does anyone out there have a solid theory why we see so fewer right-catching goalies nowadays?

Obviously in baseball there's the notion that left-handed hitters are physically closer to first base, giving them a slight edge for singles. Is there any such theory for NHL goalies? Most NHL players shoot left, but the angles are from all over the ice surface.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
120% PP+PK Cannot possibly be sustainable

In my head, I always thought 110% is outstanding. approx 83% PK, and 27% PP.
I seriously doubt any team does it. The highest I saw was 113.9% by Edmonton a few years ago, though there may be higher ones. I only went back about 10 years.

The highest PP% of all time is 32.4% by Edmonton last year. The best PK of all time was NJ with 89.58% in 2011-12.

Combine those and you get 121.98%

We are currently at 34.1% on the PP, 86% on the PK. Total of 120.1%

Tampa is 34.1%, 87.2% for a total of 121.3%

NJ is 41.7%, 76.7% for a total of 118.4%

It will be interesting to revisit this a month from now and see where these teams are at.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Domingue is in tonight.

On that note, does anyone out there have a solid theory why we see so fewer right-catching goalies nowadays?

Obviously in baseball there's the notion that left-handed hitters are physically closer to first base, giving them a slight edge for singles. Is there any such theory for NHL goalies? Most NHL players shoot left, but the angles are from all over the ice surface.
Most people are righties. Many skaters play left-handed because it puts their dominant hand on top (better control). With goalies, that isn't really a consideration. If they've played baseball, they've already trained themselves to catch with their left hand.

Reactions: egelband and Fitzy

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I seriously doubt any team does it. The highest I saw was 113.9% by Edmonton a few years ago, though there may be higher ones. I only went back about 10 years.

The highest PP% of all time is 32.4% by Edmonton last year. The best PK of all time was NJ with 89.58% in 2011-12.

It will be interesting to revisit this a month from now and see where these teams are at.

Our PP% will go down but I don't think 86% is unsustainable.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Most people are righties. Many skaters play left-handed because it puts their dominant hand on top (better control). With goalies, that isn't really a consideration. If they've played baseball, they've already trained themselves to catch with their left hand.

And I think all of that tracks as to why there are more left-catchers on average, but not necessarily why they've gone from uncommon to rare.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
The last time Domingue saw NHL time he was giving up a muffin from Kreider from the blueline to lose Game 6 in 2022. He blockered that thing right up into the air and it landed in the net, still a hilarious GWG in the playoffs.

It was a goal so bad that they had to play a one-footed Tristian Jarry in Game 7, but we still think that every scrub goalie becomes a brick wall against us.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Injuries aren't always a BAD thing. Gives crucial PT to those in need of it to progress, AND I believe it unifies the healthy, and possibly raising their games to a higher level. Nobody wants to lose, so they look in the mirror.
The team definitely hasn't lost much of a step. So the bonding thing is visible. It's just worrying, however, I guess if the injuries are going to happen let them happen early.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Nothing against you, but this is some bogus metric someone made up by adding two unrelated percentages, as a basis for comparing teams. I'm no math genius, but I don't think this is how percentages work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad