GDT: Game #13 - CBJ at STL - 1 Nov, 8pm

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Maez said the Jackets found their game tonight, hilarious. If their game is blowing a lead and getting badly outplayed for 40 minutes he’s right.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He's checked out.... Funny though, not one player, coach or announcer is calling him out.... He's skating in circles exactly as Nash did in his final years here..

He's checked out? How many years are left on his contract??

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bullshit end to that game..... But, we got a point and remain .500..

Elvis looked good and the team played hard for him.... I don't think Torts will start him back to back though so it's swiss cheese tomorrow...

Back at it tomorrow...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Tonight is the very definition of a sonny Milano game. Was very dangerous offensively, and was very dangerous defensively for the wrong reasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if torts stuck him in the press box for that last penalty.

We played okay. Decent first. Decent second outside of a 45 second stretch. And a bad third. Elvis was fine but man is he hyperactive in goal. Needs to calm down.

I thought Gavrikov-Jones wasn’t very good at first but steadied themselves later. The rest of the D weren’t noteworthy to me.

When do we cut our losses on this Bemstrom experiment and send him back home? He’s not ready and he’s not being given an opportunity to get ready.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Happy to get the point ..

But yet another game where we're left feeling like we played well enough for 2.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Watching the post game is a perfect example as to why Torts isn’t the right fit for this team , and is on borrowed time . You bitch bitch bitch about a kid not playing a complete game to the point he probably presses on D, gets called for 2 just weak ass penalties , and you heard what the dinosaur had to say . Does anyone wonder why he struggles to develop skilled wingers ? I could point out 15 missed chances that cost us the game , and what did Torts focus on . Does that seem like a coach that has his back , or that you want to play for ?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Plenty of blame to go around. Torts continues to make boneheaded decisions. The front office trusted these two goalies and didn't pursue a cheap vet or even Lehner. Check out McElhinney's stats from when he was waived (1/8/17) to now vs Korpisalo. Great roster management there!

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if the team continues to play D like this. What a freaking joke. Cam is a ghost. Bjork finally got one. Foligno isn't converting anything. Wennberg got his two goals so he's back to his passive self. The rookies are playing like rookies and the vets are all regressing. Recipe for disaster.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cripes. If I didn't watch the game and I was just reading some of the posts on here I'd think they got blown out again. They actually played a pretty even road game with a good Blues team. I'm going to complain about a lot of things but the overall game was fine.

-- The Jackets carried the first period, played an even second, but really backed off from then on. The D were backing way into their own zone, leaving huge gaps. The Blues are not a fast team at all, so it was basically just free shots for a team that would otherwise have to dump and try and win the cycle.

-- Elvis was swimming in net. Sort of on the third goal, and definitely on the first goal, which was an egregious example of an overly-excited goalie getting baited out of the net.

-- For the first time possibly ever, they put Bjorkstrand on the first powerplay unit on his off-wing, and he scores in the first game. I'm hoping someone finally got in Torts' ear about getting these guys in better shooting positions.

-- I loved the make-up and performance of the top 3 lines. Jenner's unit looked much improved, perhaps they missed Foligno. Dubois' unit gave up a lot but also got a lot of chances and showed some creativity together. And Wennberg's trio was fantastic, all three contributed to make it our best line of the night. The 4th line needs some work.

-- I've wanted to see Gavrikov - Jones for some time so I was excited to see that, but not a great start. Jones has looked jumpy for a while now, he's lacking confidence.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think a trade has to be coming , Wennberg, and Nash are essentially the same player , I think it’s safe to say that Wennberg will never be the center the bluejackets envisioned . Same ole with him

Wennberg had a good game. I don't know how you came to the opposite conclusion. Tonight he played a great defensive game, one huge block in his own end, and kept the cycle going with Bjorky and Milano. Looking at the stats now, he's positive in every % category, including leading the team with a whopping 92% expected goals ratio. Riley Nash was around 25%.

Yet Wenny took the OT draw...

Wenny was 55% on the draw tonight "..."

Tonight is the very definition of a sonny Milano game. Was very dangerous offensively, and was very dangerous defensively for the wrong reasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if torts stuck him in the press box for that last penalty.

I don't know if I would be surprised but I would be upset by that. Milano was creating left and right. The penalties were partly random bad luck, and it's not his fault that the team failed to kill off both of them. His unit owned the Blues tonight, and Torts going away from that kind of effective combination so that he can punish a player would be atrocious coaching.

Reactions: Viqsi

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Watching the post game is a perfect example as to why Torts isn’t the right fit for this team , and is on borrowed time . You ***** ***** ***** about a kid not playing a complete game to the point he probably presses on D, gets called for 2 just weak ass penalties , and you heard what the dinosaur had to say . Does anyone wonder why he struggles to develop skilled wingers ? I could point out 15 missed chances that cost us the game , and what did Torts focus on . Does that seem like a coach that has his back , or that you want to play for ?

I agree, he is not a fit with this team at all. He has always had the old school type of game where it works with very few teams. A bit too many Euro's for Torts on this team as well to develop the proper way.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Bull**** end to that game..... But, we got a point and remain .500..

Elvis looked good and the team played hard for him.... I don't think Torts will start him back to back though so it's swiss cheese tomorrow...

Back at it tomorrow...

I'd consider Elvis over Korpi tomorrow.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Cripes. If I didn't watch the game and I was just reading some of the posts on here I'd think they got blown out again. They actually played a pretty even road game with a good Blues team.

That is exactly what I thought.

I spend a fair amount of time in ice rinks in Columbus talking with other knowledgeable hockey parents. You know what I have never heard at a rink in town? “The Jackets should fire Torts.” I have also never heard “The Jackets should fire Jarmo.”

There are discussions of player strengths and weaknesses, but they are pretty rational and not petty.

Torts is not getting fired this season unless he goes into the opposing locker room looking for a fight. Jarmo is not getting fired this year or next.

Last season was the most successful in the history of the franchise. There will be no firings.

This season we are in transition and expectations are fairly low. There will be no firings.

Torts doesn’t hate Milano. He just wants him to be the best hockey player he can be. Milano’s biggest problem is Milano. Sonny has been given more shifts the last 3 games. He is getting more ice time.

We will not buy Wennberg out. Nobody in the organization has ever considered it. There are so many ridiculous buy out posts. The Jackets are well below the cap.

Werenski is the all time leading goal scorer for dmen in franchise history. He is 22. Think about that.

This team is about where I thought they’d be. They are better than most hockey fans thought they would be. Our goalies look like young goalies without much experience. Our lineup is full of kids. Our best player left. Our star goalie who bailed the team out so many times left.

This team played a fairly even game on the road against the defending champs.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
-- Elvis was swimming in net. Sort of on the third goal, and definitely on the first goal, which was an egregious example of an overly-excited goalie getting baited out of the net.

Everyone on the ice thought he was going to shoot there. Anderson being a late trailer made it easy for that shot to get off after he threaded it through Jones. (who in theory should have been able to close off the passing lane there) Sucks but I don't place a ton of blame on Elvis there. He was aggressive on the play but I've also seen people complain about Korpi not being aggressive enough and challenging shooters. I guess goalies are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Reactions: CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wennberg had a good game. I don't know how you came to the opposite conclusion. Tonight he played a great defensive game, one huge block in his own end, and kept the cycle going with Bjorky and Milano. Looking at the stats now, he's positive in every % category, including leading the team with a whopping 92% expected goals ratio. Riley Nash was around 25%.

Wenny was 55% on the draw tonight "..."

I don't know if I would be surprised but I would be upset by that. Milano was creating left and right. The penalties were partly random bad luck, and it's not his fault that the team failed to kill off both of them. His unit owned the Blues tonight, and Torts going away from that kind of effective combination so that he can punish a player would be atrocious coaching.

My point on Wennberg was he’s never going to be a top 6 player, and him and Nash are essentially the same player . I agree Wennberg was good defensively, he just refuses to shoot the puck , and we have a gaping hole down the middle in our organization . Maybe Texier is moved to center as he comes back from injury ? But they really lack someone driving the play down the middle other than PLD . Also putting Bemstrom with Nash is doing him a huge disservice , unless of course torts is trying to turn another highly skilled winger into a checker , see William Karlsson

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
My point on Wennberg was he’s never going to be a top 6 player, and him and Nash are essentially the same player . I agree Wennberg was good defensively, he just refuses to shoot the puck , and we have a gaping hole down the middle in our organization . Maybe Texier is moved to center as he comes back from injury ? But they really lack someone driving the play down the middle other than PLD . Also putting Bemstrom with Nash is doing him a huge disservice , unless of course torts is trying to turn another highly skilled winger into a checker , see William Karlsson
Wennberg is what he is, another Brule. Nash at least takes chances on offense, Wenny gets nervous crossing the redline. IDK why they have Charlie Brown out there on the PP when Nash could at least chip in some. Maybe even get him going? I think Nash and Anderson on a line could make a strong 2nd line if they have a winger for them to play with.

If we could get a solid 2c this team would look so much better.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yet Wenny took the OT draw...

Faceoffs don't matter, they say. Couldn't believe Jenner wasn't out there.

Also, look at where Wennberg's stick was in overtime, such an easy pass with a wide open passing lane. Talk about awareness, huh?

Couldn't believe Wennberg and Werenski were out there to start OT, and they shouldn't see PK time any other time either.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I also don't know what more to say, Korpisalo > > Merzlikins..

And please, look at the difference in their ages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad